Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-26-2020, 02:28 PM   #1
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Clive Cussler, dead at 88.

Sad news indeed. I've never read his books. He moves to the top of my TBR list in honor.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/enter...it/4881856002/
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 03:17 PM   #2
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
Sad news indeed. I've never read his books. He moves to the top of my TBR list in honor.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/enter...it/4881856002/
I didn't realize he was that old, but I guess it makes sense since he's been writing since the early 70's. 88 is a pretty good life.

I really liked Raise the Titanic! I do wish that more of his early books were available as eBooks.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 03:18 PM   #3
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I used read his books many many years ago. He had quite a car collection and he used his money to help discover a lot of shipwrecks.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 03:20 PM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I enjoyed a few.
My mum and one son are massive fans. She has all of them.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 10:00 PM   #5
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Sad news. I was once a big fan, but dropped off when he started sharing credits.

If you're thinking of adding to your TBR, take my advice and skip The Mediterranean Caper (aka: Mayday!). You don't need it, and it's better to pretend it never existed. (Cussler was never going to win any awards for the portrayal of women in this books, but that first novel was appalling - even for 1973 - and if you read it first you'll probably never pick up another Cussler.)

Last edited by gmw; 02-28-2020 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Added alternative title
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 05:39 AM   #6
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Sad news. I was once a big fan, but dropped off when he started sharing credits.

If you're thinking of adding to your TBR, take my advice and skip The Mediterranean Caper. You don't need it, and it's better to pretend it never existed. (Cussler was never going to win any awards for the portrayal of women in this books, but that first novel was appalling - even for 1973 - and if you read it first you'll probably never pick up another Cussler.)
I only have Inca Gold by him. Is it any good?
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 06:22 AM   #7
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
I only have Inca Gold by him. Is it any good?
One of the better ones IMO. My notes say: "This is a good read, could have been great but was too long and ended up dragging a bit in places."

My favourites of his are Cyclops and Sahara. I've read that Cussler didn't like the movie they made from Sahara, but I thought it was okay: upbeat and entertaining.

I've always assumed the books were meant to be fun and not to be taken too seriously. (At least I hope they are not meant to be taken seriously. ) But you have to like this sort of gung-ho-American-hero against impossible odds stuff, otherwise it will just look like the sort of nonsense that it is. But Cussler did do nice back stories for most of the novels.

Last edited by gmw; 02-27-2020 at 06:35 AM. Reason: Tense
Old 02-27-2020, 07:07 AM   #8
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
One of the better ones IMO. My notes say: "This is a good read, could have been great but was too long and ended up dragging a bit in places."

My favourites of his are Cyclops and Sahara. I've read that Cussler didn't like the movie they made from Sahara, but I thought it was okay: upbeat and entertaining.

I've always assumed the books were meant to be fun and not to be taken too seriously. (At least I hope they are not meant to be taken seriously. ) But you have to like this sort of gung-ho-American-hero against impossible odds stuff, otherwise it will just look like the sort of nonsense that it is. But Cussler did do nice back stories for most of the novels.
Thank you, gmw. I think I will read Inca Gold, followed by your 2 favorites. You really came through, thanks to you for keeping notes of old books.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:00 AM   #9
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:

If you're thinking of adding to your TBR, take my advice and skip The Mediterranean Caper. You don't need it, and it's better to pretend it never existed. (Cussler was never going to win any awards for the portrayal of women in this books, but that first novel was appalling - even for 1973 - and if you read it first you'll probably never pick up another Cussler.)
I have to agree, do not read The Mediterranean Caper. It was horrible and if I had read it first I would not have picked up another. Raise the Titanic and Sahara were his two best in my opinion. I still have the ones I read in paper, but have not read any in a digital format.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 12:48 PM   #10
MickiTee
Guru
MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Pocketbook TL3, TL4, TL5
I've been a fan since I read Raise the Titanic! back in the 70's. The early books in the Oregon Files series are also worth reading.

I would also recommend reading the Dirk Pitt series either in chronological or publication date order. Secondary characters can appear in a book and then not turn up again until a few books later. There's also the occasional reference to a previous adventure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I really liked Raise the Titanic! I do wish that more of his early books were available as eBooks.
I've checked and they're available from Amazon and Kobo in the UK.
MickiTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 01:33 AM   #11
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Sad news.

I, too was a fan of his books years ago. Night Probe was the one that hooked me. I think that Inca Gold was the last one I read.

RIP
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 07:39 AM   #12
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I have to agree, do not read The Mediterranean Caper. It was horrible and if I had read it first I would not have picked up another. Raise the Titanic and Sahara were his two best in my opinion. I still have the ones I read in paper, but have not read any in a digital format.
Apache
Raise the Titanic is likely the book I would start with. It is available as an eBook. Sahara is not. I got Mediterranean Caper because it was available as an eBook but only got about a third of the way through. I think maybe a third of the Dirk Pitt books are available as eBooks, mostly the later ones.

It will be interesting to see if his son starts releasing them.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:18 AM   #13
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Raise the Titanic is likely the book I would start with. It is available as an eBook. Sahara is not. I got Mediterranean Caper because it was available as an eBook but only got about a third of the way through. I think maybe a third of the Dirk Pitt books are available as eBooks, mostly the later ones.

It will be interesting to see if his son starts releasing them.
Actually, I just checked Amazon, and it looks like all of the Dirk Pitt books are available for Kindle.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002TZ3E5C

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 09:29 AM   #14
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

I just saw on Kobo AU that they're selling The Mediterranean Caper as Mayday! (and I updated my earlier post). I really think they'd be better off letting it fade into history than risk turning people away by advertising it as the first Dirk Pitt novel.
Old 02-28-2020, 12:50 PM   #15
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Actually, I just checked Amazon, and it looks like all of the Dirk Pitt books are available for Kindle.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002TZ3E5C

Shari
When I bring that up, it shows Pacific Vortex, with a this title is not available for purchase where the buy button normally is.

Dirk Pitt 1 and 5-12 are listed as not available for purchase, so 2-4 (which I have) then 13-25 are available for purchase. More than I thought, but certainly most of the early ones are not.