Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 09-20-2019, 08:36 AM   #1
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
IOS reader to connect to Calibre

Marvin connects by Content Server. Do any others connect that way? Or preferably by wireless device? Not through a cloud - I don't always have wifi availability.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 10:17 AM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
KyBook3, I believe.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 10:35 AM   #3
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
KyBook3, I believe.
Thanks, I'll give it a try.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:49 AM   #4
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here's the Calibre plugin for sending books to device (via Calibre GUI).

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=316347
Old 09-20-2019, 11:31 AM   #5
peaceridge
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Here's the Calibre plugin for sending books to device (via Calibre GUI).

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=316347
Again, thanks. I had downloaded the plug in but can't find a way to use it. Is there a KyBook3 for Dummies somewhere?
Old 09-20-2019, 11:43 AM   #6
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
Again, thanks. I had downloaded the plug in but can't find a way to use it. Is there a KyBook3 for Dummies somewhere?
I don't think so.

I think the plugin has instruction on the dialog somewhere and there's a help section in the KyBook 3 app with instructions on how to turn on the KyBook server that the plugin connect to.

Hmm, I think MapleRead also supports OPDS.

To be honest, I've tried multiple apps but I kept going back to Marvin for EPUB (convert other formats with Calibre as-needed).

PDF and comics, I just use other apps (GoodReader and ComicGlass respectively).
Old 09-20-2019, 05:39 PM   #7
peaceridge
Guru

ilovejedd, I also prefer the same, Marvin for epub, etc. My problem is getting the books onto my ipad without cloud. I guess I'll use Marvin's OPDS - I just wish I could sort by and search on Calibre tags in it.
Old 09-20-2019, 06:13 PM   #8
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
ilovejedd, I also prefer the same, Marvin for epub, etc. My problem is getting the books onto my ipad without cloud. I guess I'll use Marvin's OPDS - I just wish I could sort by and search on Calibre tags in it.
I dunno about sort but doesn't search or browse by tag work with Marvin's OPDS browser?

Admittedly, I tend to use either Dropbox or the embedded Safari browser for downloading ebooks.

Files stored locally on Marvin also support filtering by tags and series (just not custom columns). How large is your library? Is downloading all books to Marvin via Dropbox feasible? Current processors on iPads are very fast and I would think Marvin wouldn't have problems even with thousands of books.

If you're transferring via Dropbox or something though, you need to make sure the epub copies in Calibre contain the latest metadata by using either Embed Metadata or Polish.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7F815E13-F546-403B-A7D7-F6C23D813630.jpeg
Views:	240
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	173592   Click image for larger version

Name:	74982934-DE8D-40AF-9497-BE7D550C7219.jpeg
Views:	246
Size:	789.8 KB
ID:	173594  
Old 09-20-2019, 08:04 PM   #9
peaceridge
Guru

ilovejedd, thank you so much. Tags are there in Marvin! I was looking in the wrong place, I guess. I found them! I can use the Marvin's OPDS, so I'm all set. The thumbnails you attached are of Kindle - I might try that too.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:19 PM   #10
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
The thumbnails you attached are of Kindle - I might try that too.
No, they're not. The first image was Safari on iPhone and the second is Safari on iPad. "kindle" is just the name of my Kindle for PC intake library (recycled screenshots taken for a previous post).

I couldn't take new screenshots. Air conditioning is down and it's super hot right now so the PC running Calibre and Apache server is currently shut down.
Old 09-21-2019, 09:22 AM   #11
peaceridge
Guru

ilovejedd, again thank you. If you could please tell me how to get to those 2 pages on Marvin? I'm sorry I can't figure it out.

It is Safari, not Marvin. Got it. You've been a great help!
Old 09-21-2019, 11:30 AM   #12
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
ilovejedd, again thank you. If you could please tell me how to get to those 2 pages on Marvin? I'm sorry I can't figure it out.

It is Safari, not Marvin. Got it. You've been a great help!
Marvin has an embedded/in-app web browser based on Safari so I can actually view those directly in Marvin.

On iPad, you select Customize to have the web browser option displayed in the Get Books section. Bonus if you use the in-app browser, EPUBs download directly to library instead of needing to use "Open in..."/share sheet.

Setting up the Calibre content server I'm using in those screenshots is a tad bit more complicated. I would've used the built-in content server from Calibre but that one's heavy on JavaScript and didn't play nice with Marvin's in-app browser last time I tried.

I have Apache+PHP server running on my PC and use @chaley's Calibre PHP content server scripts. Instructions are in the zip, but yeah, not so simple setup.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=104188
http://charles.the-haleys.org/calibre/
Old 09-21-2019, 06:47 PM   #13
peaceridge
Guru

Thanks again. When I get where I'm going, I'll give this a look. Until then, content server will do.