Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-07-2019, 08:15 AM   #31
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I find that nearly every claim that something is definitively immoral usually serves to shine a bright light on the likelihood that there is no such thing as "definitively immoral."

I'm not saying there's no such thing as immorality. I'm only saying that it's a moving target that can't (by it's very nature) be objectively pointed at as such by everyone, everywhere, at any time.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:23 AM   #32
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
If you can’t understand that stealing is immoral...that’s not my problem. I accept the judgement label. It is appropriate....and it is moral.
But a large portion of the population, probably a majority, doesn't consider copyright violation stealing. You say it's stealing because copyright is part of our tradition and because the IP movement promotes that particular narrative. I would tend to argue that copyright violation isn't stealing, it's mostly a civil matter rather than a criminal matter.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2019, 08:27 AM   #33
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
By the first definition of illegal, no, by the second, yes.

Generally:
Removing DRM necessarily involves making a copy of the product. You are only allowed to do that within the parameters the copyright owner has set out. Unless they have allowed DRM removal, you are violating their copyright by making your DRM-free derivative work.
Same issues as ripping CDs to MP3s.
Thanks for the link. I think my point stands. The government will not take you to court for removing DRM from something you have obtained legally.

That the copyright holder might do so is true but, as mentioned, the same is true of ripping CDs.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:31 AM   #34
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Adultery has not been illegal in the UK since 1857. It really shouldn't be illegal in the US.

But secret adultery is certainly immoral.

Immoral is not the same as illegal. Nor is one a subset of the other.
No, it is an example of a stupid law that is moral. If you go ahead and break it anyway, then it is because you are immoral, not because the law itself is immoral.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:41 AM   #35
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
No, it is an example of a stupid law that is moral.
Facts not in evidence (not the stupid part).

Heck there's not even a universally agreed upon definition of adultery. I'm assuming, of course, that you're not relying merely on a legal definition of adultery since you claim any legal censure of the act is stupid. I can assure you that the moral notions of what constitutes adultery, vary quite a bit.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 08-07-2019 at 08:50 AM.
Advert
Old 08-07-2019, 09:37 AM   #36
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I'll note in passing that adultery is not a crime, not even a misdemeanor, in the majority of US states.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:05 AM   #37
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Oh my God...three pages of discussing what is amoral, immoral and a crime. Jesus Christ I miss the old days when people just bought the damn paper book. This entire topic (or lack) shouldn't even be a concern. It's not hard to understand people, if you want to keep the book until your last breath just buy the paper version. Lend it out as much as you like. No worries about finagling on your computer All day because you are worried that someone may take away a book you will most likely never read more than once.

Bottom line is we All know why there is worry about ebooks and copyright. It was different with paper books. So I totally understand an authors and publishers standpoint. Plain and simple.

Damn life was easier with paperbooks and actually a bit more fun imo...
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:32 AM   #38
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
Oh my God...three pages of discussing what is amoral, immoral and a crime. Jesus Christ I miss the old days when people just bought the damn paper book.
Well, heck. It's just entertainment. No one's forcing you to read three pages of posts that bore you, irritate you, and far worst of all, provide yet more evidence that someone's wrong on the internet!

Quote:
No worries about finagling on your computer All day because you are worried that someone may take away a book you will most likely never read more than once.
...and that said, I rather agree with you about this. I got over managing and massaging my library a long time ago. It's not worth the time. The books I buy/have bought show up on my devices. Done. And there's very little I'll ever want to reread at that, and there will always be books I can access. But it doesn't bother me that others spend their time on it.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:14 PM   #39
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Well, heck. It's just entertainment. No one's forcing you to read three pages of posts that bore you, irritate you, and far worst of all, provide yet more evidence that someone's wrong on the internet!

...and that said, I rather agree with you about this. I got over managing and massaging my library a long time ago. It's not worth the time. The books I buy/have bought show up on my devices. Done. And there's very little I'll ever want to reread at that, and there will always be books I can access. But it doesn't bother me that others spend their time on it.
No that's great if someone likes to spend their time with that. But this thread shows what ebooks has wrought. It most certainly is no all good. I'm fact it's continually tipping towards more bad than good imo.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:25 PM   #40
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
No that's great if someone likes to spend their time with that. But this thread shows what ebooks has wrought. It most certainly is no all good. I'm fact it's continually tipping towards more bad than good imo.
Just because people are arguing about it? People who enjoy debate will always find something to debate about. I'm not sure this discussion indicates much at all about what ebooks have wrought. For the majority of people who use them, they just buy / borrow them and read them. No muss, no fuss, no philosophical discussions.

Like issybird, I've long ago stopped "managing" my collection. For me, it wasn't even about being worried that someone would take my books away, it was just something I enjoyed fiddling with, a hobby. When I lost interest in the digital futzing, I just stopped doing it. And since then, I've mostly stopped purchasing books anyway, so my collection hasn't grown much in the last few years. I use KU and the library for 95% of my reads.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:52 PM   #41
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
Like issybird, I've long ago stopped "managing" my collection. For me, it wasn't even about being worried that someone would take my books away, it was just something I enjoyed fiddling with, a hobby. When I lost interest in the digital futzing, I just stopped doing it.
I'm in that same camp. I read them. More power to those who want to pet them, massage them, and otherwise bend them to their will. There's plenty of room in this boat.

And "wrought" ? Really?? That's like a hop skip and jump from "rue the day," isn't it?
Old 08-07-2019, 12:56 PM   #42
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
And now we're having a meta-argument about the arguments provoked by ebooks.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 01:44 PM   #43
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm in that same camp. I read them. More power to those who want to pet them, massage them, and otherwise bend them to their will. There's plenty of room in this boat.

And "wrought" ? Really?? That's like a hop skip and jump from "rue the day," isn't it?
Hey, pal!

I use both those terms all the time. You're makin' me feel bad.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 02:23 PM   #44
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I thought the latter was made popular again by "Withnail and I". That was certainly true in the crowd I ran with back then.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 02:29 PM   #45
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Hey, pal!

I use both those terms all the time. You're makin' me feel bad.

Hitch
Well so do I. But I only use them ironically.
Spoiler:
How's that for staying on topic?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 08-07-2019 at 02:33 PM.

Tags
goodereader bad