Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-04-2013, 11:45 AM   #1
Tibboh
Tibboh began at the beginning.

Device: KPW
Trying to SSH and get root on my K5

Hi folks, I've been following these forums for some time, and firstly I like to thank everyone on board for providing help, and the excellent software which lets us use our Kindle's how we want

Now, I've managed to setup the Kindle in USB networking, set an IP via usb0 and ssh into it, but now I'm stuck.

It's asking for a password, I've tried all the default ones, mario, fiona and the variances, and used the web tool to input my serial to generate a password, but none of them work.

I'm running the latest update 5.3.8.1

The kindle pings back, but I simply cannot figure out the password - I'm thinking it could be a problem with configuration rather than the actual password?

I'm doing this in Linux (I installed ssh-server), I later did try using Putty for Windows but the Windows command line makes little sense to me for SSH.

Any help would be much appreciated
Tibboh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:32 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibboh View Post
Hi folks, I've been following these forums for some time, and firstly I like to thank everyone on board for providing help, and the excellent software which lets us use our Kindle's how we want

Now, I've managed to setup the Kindle in USB networking, set an IP via usb0 and ssh into it, but now I'm stuck.

It's asking for a password, I've tried all the default ones, mario, fiona and the variances, and used the web tool to input my serial to generate a password, but none of them work.

I'm running the latest update 5.3.8.1

The kindle pings back, but I simply cannot figure out the password - I'm thinking it could be a problem with configuration rather than the actual password?

I'm doing this in Linux (I installed ssh-server), I later did try using Putty for Windows but the Windows command line makes little sense to me for SSH.

Any help would be much appreciated
Well, if sshd is asking for a password over the USB cable after installing OUR USBnetworking package - -
Its PEBKAC for certain.

Give details of your setup please (the Linux one).

PS: You don't need ssh-server on your (big) Linux box, only ssh-client. It is the little (Kindle) Linux box that runs a sshd server - part of our USBnetworking package.

Did you change any of the defaults in the USBnetworking package after installing it on the Kindle?
If so, what.

What IP address did you assign to the Big Linux box end of the cable?
What IP address did you assign to the Little Linux (Kindle) box end of the cable?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:33 PM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Tibboh: Which hack did you install?

Because if you're using the default USBNet config (ie. no wifi, no OpenSSH), it doesn't check the password over USB, so simply hitting enter should let you in.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:15 PM   #4
Tibboh

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Well, if sshd is asking for a password over the USB cable after installing OUR USBnetworking package - -
Its PEBKAC for certain.

Give details of your setup please (the Linux one).

PS: You don't need ssh-server on your (big) Linux box, only ssh-client. It is the little (Kindle) Linux box that runs a sshd server - part of our USBnetworking package.

Did you change any of the defaults in the USBnetworking package after installing it on the Kindle?
If so, what.

What IP address did you assign to the Big Linux box end of the cable?
What IP address did you assign to the Little Linux (Kindle) box end of the cable?
Thanks for the quick replies,
Yes, it's the latest version of the USBNetworking package you guys developed, I downgraded to 5.3.5 > jailbreak > 5.3.8.1 > update kindlet & rescue pack.

Didn't change anything in the package

IP for the pc must be 192.168.0.8, I will check and try to change the range
Kindle IP is assigned as 192.168.15.254 which was recommended not to interfere.

I tried entering a blank password, but it says it's the wrong one.

I am thinking it could be the host IP interferring? but it's confusing because the device still pings and responds ok, except for the password?

Sorry, forgot to add, running Linux Mint 15, MATE, x64, all updated

Last edited by Tibboh; 11-04-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:23 PM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for the quick replies,
Yes, it's the latest version of the USBNetworking package you guys developed, I downgraded to 5.3.5 > jailbreak > 5.3.8.1 > update kindlet & rescue pack.

Didn't change anything in the package

IP for the pc must be 192.168.0.8, I will check and try to change the range
Kindle IP is assigned as 192.168.15.254 which was recommended not to interfere.

I tried entering a blank password, but it says it's the wrong one.

I am thinking it could be the host IP interferring? but it's confusing because the device still pings and responds ok, except for the password?

OK - so what is your netmask?
for that setup - you need to 192.168/16 (255.255.0.0) rather than the standard 192.168.0/24 (255.255.255.0).

It would be much easier if you put both devices on the same sub-net.

Although you don't have to have a full sub-net routed to the Kindle, a Point-to-Point link will do just find.
Filter the index page by the prefix "Tutorial" and read my series on using ssh.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:57 PM   #6
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
I don't suppose you tried entering your PC's ROOT PASSWORD did you?

Classic faux pas is to point this thing to yourself...

:P

I did it more than once

(this also supposes you gave your PC a root password and are not operating under the default "su only" mode that mint imposes on you) - you can check this obviously by trying to login as root on your PC.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:13 PM   #7
Tibboh

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post

I did it more than once

(this also supposes you gave your PC a root password and are not operating under the default "su only" mode that mint imposes on you) - you can check this obviously by trying to login as root on your PC.
Yeah, I gave that a go before as well, but to no avail, I'll boot back into Mint and set them up in the same subnet, I didn't consider the host IP.

I'll report back once I've done that, if I'm successful or not
Old 11-04-2013, 02:15 PM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Yeah, I gave that a go before as well, but to no avail, I'll boot back into Mint and set them up in the same subnet, I didn't consider the host IP.

I'll report back once I've done that, if I'm successful or not
And you might even provide the information that I requested.

It is very likely you are trying to connect to the wrong end of the cable, and/or are pinging the wrong end of the cable.

Plus - Have you read the tutorials I recommended yet?
Old 11-04-2013, 02:50 PM   #9
Tibboh

sorted

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
And you might even provide the information that I requested.

It is very likely you are trying to connect to the wrong end of the cable, and/or are pinging the wrong end of the cable.

Plus - Have you read the tutorials I recommended yet?
Back on linux now, I had a look at your tutorials and after setting up the host (linuxmint) with a different IP in the same subnet it gets ssh into the Kindle just fine.

The subnet before, I'm not sure what I was using, I assumed it would be the same as within the default gateway(255.255.255.0), but I have a lot to learn about SSH and Linux still.

Thank you both for your help, and keep up the great work (I mean, who else provides free software to open source your devices, and then offers support for it too)!

Old 11-04-2013, 03:39 PM   #10
Tibboh

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post

I did it more than once

An interesting progression here.
You may already be aware, BUT just in case I thought I would report what happened.

I was experimenting with SSH now it's working (later going to try and setup wifi so i can put books on kindle without usb or email) after trying out a few things I pushed a reginfo file to the Kindle, rebooted, and it registers fine, go online, still fine as I also installed BBB.

Tap the button to go to the Amazon store, and it deregisters (no surprise)
But, it's also removed the developer keys, so I can no longer access KUAL, or anything 3rd party, and

a new file is created

"dear developer, your kindle is no longer a test kindle and is unable to test items previously signed by authorized developers.

if you want your device to be a test kindle again, please contact the developer.

thank you,
the kindle team"

When opening 3rd party apps "This device is not authorized as a test Kindle by the developer of this item. Please contact the developer"

Anyway, I should be able to reinstall the keys, but I just found it interesting, and wondered if you have already come across this?
Old 11-04-2013, 03:42 PM   #11
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Thank you both for your help, and keep up the great work (I mean, who else provides free software to open source your devices, and then offers support for it too)!
Not to worry, you will be getting our bill pushed OTA onto your Kindle RSN.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:20 PM   #12
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
[...]
"dear developer, your kindle is no longer a test kindle and is unable to test items previously signed by authorized developers.
"
[...]
When opening 3rd party apps "This device is not authorized as a test Kindle by the developer of this item. Please contact the developer"
[...]
Anyway, I should be able to reinstall the keys, but I just found it interesting, and wondered if you have already come across this?
Yep, that's known. It's standard Kindle behavior - the kindlet developer keys get deleted on every registration status change. Just re-install the standalone package.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:02 PM   #13
knc1
Going Viral

The new #1 question and answer.

My "recharge your battery" rubber stamp is drying out. (the prior #1).

Tags
kindle paperwhite, ssh