Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 03-03-2012, 09:22 PM   #1
Bittybye
Addict
Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T2
Have to register?

My costumer/friend is going on a trip to Vegas and she asked me if I wanted something that's only available to the US and I immediately thought of the Nook. I bought a Kobo Touch, but I'm having so many problems with it (having to press the side 4-9 times before it turns the page, freezing, spontaneous "processing content," not loading books, ect) that I asked her to pick me up the Nook Simple Touch and I'd pay her back.

I want to check 2 things first
1)Do I have to register it to side load content? I have a ton of books that can be side loaded. I have no interest in setting up an account with B&N.

2) Kobo books work on the Nook? So I can buy future releases via a Canadian store.

Thanks for any responses.
Bittybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:15 AM   #2
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
1. You have to register to get it working, but it's no big deal. Just enter an e-mail and password. You don't have to enter a credit card or anything like that. I'm not even sure it has to be a working e-mail!

2. Books from Kobo work as long as they are ePubs and not Kobo's own veresion, If you haven't downloaded the ePubs, go into your Kobo library and download the Adobe ePub versions. There might be a couple of books that don't have an Adobe version, but most do.

The Nook Touch is a really good reading device. You willl love it!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2012, 04:17 PM   #3
meth
meth began at the beginning.

Device: Pandigital Novel
No, you do not need to register it.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/...56598#U1056598
meth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:36 PM   #4
Bittybye
Addict
Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks to both of you.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:09 PM   #5
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by meth View Post
No, you do not need to register it.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/...56598#U1056598
Although it is possible to bypass the registration process, there are numerous reports that indicate battery life is horrible as a result.
Registration is quick and you don't have to provide a Credit Card number, just an email and password.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2012, 08:48 PM   #6
Bittybye
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Although it is possible to bypass the registration process, there are numerous reports that indicate battery life is horrible as a result.
Registration is quick and you don't have to provide a Credit Card number, just an email and password.
Then I think I'll do that.

How I wonder does that affect the battery life? But as long as I don't have to give a credit card number it's fine.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:12 PM   #7
Bittybye
Addict

Since I didn't want to start a new topic I thought I'd ask here. I've seen several people around the internet LJ and here saying that the Nook can sometime die within a few few months.

How common is this? Since I live in Canada I won't be able to simply send it back and get a new one.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:53 AM   #8
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittybye View Post
Since I didn't want to start a new topic I thought I'd ask here. I've seen several people around the internet LJ and here saying that the Nook can sometime die within a few few months.

How common is this? Since I live in Canada I won't be able to simply send it back and get a new one.
I haven't heard about this issue. The only issue I heard about is some devices reporting incorrect battery levels, or consuming way too much battery, draining the battery in a matter of days instead of weeks.

Are you experiencing any issues with your nook? In any way, make sure you're on the latest firmware version, as there were some bug fixes, especially around WiFi.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:49 AM   #9
Bittybye
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
I haven't heard about this issue. The only issue I heard about is some devices reporting incorrect battery levels, or consuming way too much battery, draining the battery in a matter of days instead of weeks.

Are you experiencing any issues with your nook? In any way, make sure you're on the latest firmware version, as there were some bug fixes, especially around WiFi.
I don't have mine yet. The customer of mine that has it (she called and told me she bought it) had to stay because the person she was visiting in Vegas took a turn for the worse.