Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-04-2009, 09:18 PM   #151
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
Wow - choices!

At first all I had was eReader for my Palm, then I got a Sony Reader, then the App Store for my iPod Touch started up and i got eReader on my Touch, then Amazon opened up the Kindle Store for my Touch.

I can go to multiple on-line stores for multiple DRM styles on three different devices.

I can no longer keep up with my reading. I have several books going on each device.

Well, I guess it's like having several books open at home. Oh no, I'm also reading p-books.

Ahhhh!!!

Now I no longer have to worry about those books that are cheaper at Amazon - just read them on my Touch. That was $500 well spent.

Dean
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:41 PM   #152
Robotech_Master
Fanatic
Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Thank you. I do hope you are correct about everything working. The only thing I'm wondering is how do we get the book off of an iPod Touch that has not been jailbroken.
As someone upthread said, you can backup your Touch and then use iPhone Backup Extractor to extract the books from within the Kindle directory of the backup (assuming you are running OS X Leopard. No version for Windows, alas).

Last edited by Robotech_Master; 03-04-2009 at 10:03 PM. Reason: clarification of OS
Robotech_Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2009, 09:43 PM   #153
zentype
Space Cowboy
zentype began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Wan
Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
Hehe too much WinMo bashing much justified, much not..Also too much apple love *blech*
*nod* *nod* It was at it worst imo when the ip first came out. With NO apps (and then later web-apps as a lame response to the outcry of the enlightened few) People were raving about it and calling it a smart phone back then with no apps. The app store has made it so it deserves a lot of that praise now but yes in general too many blindly follow apple with whatever they do... Don't get me wrong, when they do something right I like their stuff. But as an example the Air to me was Apple to the extreme... functionality sacrificed for form... Yet some people still bought them up...

Quote:
I'm going to attempt to see what magic I can work on this, despite my ignorance
Good luck with that. Hope you get it working. I have to say I do love the sync feature with the Kindle. If you plan on picking one up, it's truly awesome to be able to read a book and pick up wherever I left off on the other device. Really cool
zentype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:18 PM   #154
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahintz View Post
This worked - I was able to successfully load Ur, which I purchased from the Amazon Kindle store, on my Sony PRS-505!

My iPhone isn't jailbroken, so I used the iPhone Backup Extractor (Google is your friend) and extracted the Kindle app from my latest iPhone backup. Within the folder for the app are the books (com.amazon.Lassen/Documents/eBooks), and I figured out which one was Ur by loading them into Calibre, which gave me the titles. I made the change quoted above to the kindlepid.py script, and was able to get my PID by using the serial number for my iPhone in the "Manage my Kindle" section on Amazon. Running the file through mobidedrm.py script produced a file I could load in Calibre and convert to LRF, which I then loaded to my PRS-505. Cover image transferred just fine, and from my cursory perusal of the book, everything looked correct.
Pretty clever. I just use my jailbroken iPod Touch, though. The advantages of having a jailbroken device are pretty awesome. I don't really know why you wouldn't want to jailbreak it.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:36 PM   #155
ahintz
Zealot
ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle PW/iPhone5/iPad (3)/Nook ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMatt View Post
Pretty clever. I just use my jailbroken iPod Touch, though. The advantages of having a jailbroken device are pretty awesome. I don't really know why you wouldn't want to jailbreak it.
My original iPhone was jailbroken, but since I got the 3G and 2.0, I just haven't had a need to jailbreak my iPhone. Ease of getting Kindle books off it may be what pushes me to jailbreak this one, although using Backup Extractor is pretty simple as well.
ahintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2009, 10:49 PM   #156
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahintz View Post
My original iPhone was jailbroken, but since I got the 3G and 2.0, I just haven't had a need to jailbreak my iPhone. Ease of getting Kindle books off it may be what pushes me to jailbreak this one, although using Backup Extractor is pretty simple as well.
I kind of like running a VNC server on mine as well as being able to ssh into my iPod Touch.
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:04 PM   #157
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentype View Post
Good luck with that. Hope you get it working. I have to say I do love the sync feature with the Kindle. If you plan on picking one up, it's truly awesome to be able to read a book and pick up wherever I left off on the other device. Really cool
It appears that Amazon is going to be my new provider of ebooks for the near future
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:17 PM   #158
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
It was easy to download a book, but that's all. It is just a very simple reader and doesn't even have the reverse option for reading in the dark. Frankly Stanza & eReadr & shortBooks all have much more going for them. I will only use the Kindle, if I can't locate the eBook any other way.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:15 AM   #159
hkabir
e-bookviner
hkabir began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPodTouch
Does anyone know how to get kindle application in countries outside USA? I live in New Zealand, and kindle app is not available in appstore here. Any idea?
hkabir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:36 AM   #160
Robotech_Master
Fanatic
Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Incidentally, the free e-books mentioned here make a great way to try the Kindle app out at no monetary risk:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?p=379846
Old 03-05-2009, 02:08 AM   #161
exreader
exanimate ex post facto
exreader began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech_Master View Post
Incidentally, the free e-books mentioned here make a great way to try the Kindle app out at no monetary risk:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?p=379846
or you can also download from the app store "stanza" which points at almost all of the free book services. yow, free books. and the reader is a bit more mature than the kindle app.

still, it was VERY cool to be able to sync and grab all my kindle books.

exreader
exreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 02:23 AM   #162
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkabir View Post
Does anyone know how to get kindle application in countries outside USA? I live in New Zealand, and kindle app is not available in appstore here. Any idea?
You probably need a U.S. credit card at the very least. And I don't think you'll be able to buy Kindle books with any card from outside the U.S.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:29 AM   #163
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkabir View Post
You may be able to use a PayPal account attached to a US address but I haven't tried this way. The Kindle App is free so you wont need any money in the PayPal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMan
And I don't think you'll be able to buy Kindle books with any card from outside the U.S.
You can just send yourself a gift card from a non-US Amazon account and use it to fund your US registered account.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 02:42 AM   #164
Robotech_Master
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by exreader View Post
or you can also download from the app store "stanza" which points at almost all of the free book services. yow, free books. and the reader is a bit more mature than the kindle app.
Ummmm...you've kind of missed the point of this thread? The one entitled "Kindle app for iPhone and iPod Touch in iTunes Store"?
Old 03-05-2009, 02:57 AM   #165
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech_Master View Post
Ummmm...you've kind of missed the point of this thread? The one entitled "Kindle app for iPhone and iPod Touch in iTunes Store"?
I think he was just saying that Stanza is a better app for free books. And it is. At least, for downloading free books directly to the iPhone or iPod Touch.

Tags
iphone/ipod touch, kindle