Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-22-2017, 08:33 PM   #16
Alpha o
Addict
Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Darwin, inkBOOK Obsidian
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwrite View Post
Heard back from BAM. No refunds on downloads. Even though I only have the Download.ascm file and not the actual book. The Adobe program still fails even with the advice they gave me. (Type in your user name and password for the BAM site.)

Yes, I have bought a few epubs from Nook.com, kobo.com, Amazon.com, comic shops, and none were this complicated. I've had one or two fail, and I got a refund.

I did. That is how I found the Adobe Digital Edition reader. The BAM site did not mention that detail.
I also discovered this in the Download.acsm file.
<expiration>2017-08-22T07:13:53-04:00</expiration>

I have no problem with DRM when it works.
Same problem EXCEPT - I had the older version of ADE. (1.17?) I took the last e off the exe file and there was no way Adobe could update. Following those instructions for Alf did not work, either.

Need a damn independent bookseller who uses a truly independent DRM. I don't want to mess with Amazon, Kobo, or B&N. AND NO GOOGLE!!!
Alpha o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:37 PM   #17
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
You don't have to use the vendor ID. You can use an Adobe ID which you can just create. You can also skip account activation and just tie it to the local computer. That isn't great if you ever want to redownload the content though so I don't recommend it.

Then redownload the ascm file and let ADE do it's thing. The ascm file expires but you can redownload it no problem and get a new date. The book when downloaded won't expire.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2017, 08:45 PM   #18
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha o View Post
Same problem EXCEPT - I had the older version of ADE. (1.17?) I took the last e off the exe file and there was no way Adobe could update. Following those instructions for Alf did not work, either.
Older 1.7x versions of ADE don't work with many content servers anymore. 2.0.1 is the earliest version that should work everywhere still. Unless something has changed BAM uses OverDrive as a distributor and the 1.7x versions & 2.06 definitely don't work with OD, you need at least 2.0.1

Last edited by AnemicOak; 08-22-2017 at 08:48 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:46 PM   #19
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha o View Post

Need a damn independent bookseller who uses a truly independent DRM. I don't want to mess with Amazon, Kobo, or B&N. AND NO GOOGLE!!!
Why? How would an independent bookseller with their own DRM be any better? There's a few in Japan and they all suck. DRM you can't remove and you're stuck reading in an app or a browser.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:33 PM   #20
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
Also .acsm files are only for things with Adobe's DRM. Downloading through Kobo's app or the reader itself gets epubs just with Kobo's DRM on them. I think Microsoft's epub store on Windows 10 does something similar but it's U.S only and I haven't had a chance to try it.
Books downloaded from Kobo directly to the devices, apps or desktop application will download as a "Kobo ePub". If the book has DRM, it is Kobo's own DRM.

Books downloaded from the Kobo store, will usually be ePubs. If these have DRM, the ACSM file will be downloaded and ADE is needed. If the book doesn't have DRM, then you will downloaded the ePub file directly.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2017, 09:34 AM   #21
Alpha o
Addict
Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Darwin, inkBOOK Obsidian
Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
You don't have to use the vendor ID. You can use an Adobe ID which you can just create. You can also skip account activation and just tie it to the local computer. That isn't great if you ever want to redownload the content though so I don't recommend it.

Then redownload the ascm file and let ADE do it's thing. The ascm file expires but you can redownload it no problem and get a new date. The book when downloaded won't expire.
No Go. I've had an Adobe ID ever since Photoshop 3 and it's still valid.
Alpha o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 09:57 AM   #22
salamanderjuice
Guru

What exactly happens? Does ADE give you an error? You just can't log in?
Old 08-23-2017, 11:00 AM   #23
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Reading all these ADE woes makes B&N not look so bad after all. To me at least.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 12:15 PM   #24
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Reading all these ADE woes makes B&N not look so bad after all. To me at least.
Exactly why I don't use ADE.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 12:46 PM   #25
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Quote:
Even though I only have the Download.ascm file and not the actual book. The Adobe program still fails even with the advice they gave me. (Type in your user name and password for the BAM site.)
Hi mrwrite. Did you authorize this copy of ADE with Adobe and/or create an Adobe account before attempting the download? That might be what's tripping you up.

Also, don't forget that if you want to read on your reader device, you will have to register that device as well.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 12:50 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Exactly why I don't use ADE.

Shari
I've installed ADE and I've had no issues. I just put in my Adobe username and password and it's worked ever since.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 03:53 PM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Mrwrite, the credentials you enter in ADE are those of your ADE account, not those of your BAM account.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 04:06 PM   #28
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Heard back from BAM. No refunds on downloads. Even though I only have the Download.ascm file and not the actual book. The Adobe program still fails even with the advice they gave me. (Type in your user name and password for the BAM site.)

Yes, I have bought a few epubs from Nook.com, kobo.com, Amazon.com, comic shops, and none were this complicated. I've had one or two fail, and I got a refund.

I did. That is how I found the Adobe Digital Edition reader. The BAM site did not mention that detail.
I also discovered this in the Download.acsm file.
<expiration>2017-08-22T07:13:53-04:00</expiration>

I have no problem with DRM when it works.
Here's BAM's info on eBooks and ADE in case it's of help for you...
http://www.booksamillion.com/help/ebook-faqs.html
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 04:07 PM   #29
salamanderjuice
Guru

ADE, at least newer versions e.g. 4.5 supposedly works with vendor accounts like Books a Million. They even have a list of all of them you can choose. I was never able to log in with my Google Account though or anything other than an Adobe ID(it does more than ADE it's also used for stuff like Creative Cloud, PS Elements etc.)
Old 08-23-2017, 04:59 PM   #30
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
This sounds to me that the file that are getting isn't an ascm file but a file for the server to point to the actual ascm file which is why they are getting a log in prompt.

It sounds to me the link is broken. I'd contact BAM and just tell them the link is broken and needs to be fixed.

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote