Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-10-2017, 03:05 AM   #16
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Electronic device: never.
Gloves: always.

Whenever I'm travelling and I want to put my device down (be it phone, tablet, mp3 player, ereader, pda, you name it...), I always put it in my bag. But every year I had to buy two or three pairs of new gloves because I had lost one glove somewhere (always one...) Now that I no longer take any public transport, I don't lose gloves anymore
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 03:33 AM   #17
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
The past couple of years I've spent a lot of time on public transit, in waiting rooms, on park benches, etc. I have never lost an ereader, but I have planned for that eventuality. I've bought a couple back-up readers for use when I'm likely to be spending time in unfamiliar places or hectic situations.

Still, I'd be a little upset if I lose one.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2017, 06:01 AM   #18
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
E-readers, no; hats, yes. I'm a big fan of hats (essential if you're a keen walker and live in or visit hot or wet countries) and I've left hats at airline check-in desks, on planes, trains, boats and buses, on mountain-tops and by the sea. I could certainly have bought a number of top-end readers with what I've had to spend on replacement hats.
What you want is one of these, just so we can recognise you when you're out and about

https://www.artfire.com/ext/shop/pro.../hats/ear_flap
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dale.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	158354  
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:04 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:26 AM   #20
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
Something like that might seem intentional and might not be. The manager of our retirement home hit a pothole doing a couple of thousand dollars damage to her car a few weeks ago. I don't remember her exact description of what happened but it was something like she thought she would miss it but she jerked the wheel instead of just turning it and ended up hitting it. She was pretty unclear about why she did it. I don't think she knows herself.

Or he might have run it over just for the fun of it. There are a few people like that in the world.

Barry
Considering that I was standing two feet away from my book, she also swerved at me, when most people turn away from people standing near the edge of the road.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2017, 09:17 AM   #21
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
It may well have done. If it slid off the roof as you drove away, and it was in a case, it would probably survive a fall to the ground.
Yep, mine have survived many a drop to the ground, although not from the height of a car. They aren't as fragile as all that, although I always have good covers for them.

I have had 3 stolen (keeping them in the back pocket of a messenger bag in busy public transport is not a smart thing to do). I left one on the train myself. That was a serious chunk of change: a then-new Kindle DXG + Oberon Design cover
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:25 PM   #22
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I haven't lost one, but I've found 2. One had contact info on back so I'm sure it was easy for Security to contact the owner. The other had no identifying info and never responded to the message left on the bench. Cops ran it a month later and it wasn't reported lost or stolen at their department, so I kept it. Original owner never deregistered, so I did a factory reset and it's linked to my account. After 2 years, they still haven't reported it stolen/lost.

Now, before anybody gets huffy, Amazon will NOT reunite the unit with the original owner even if I sent it to them. They told me to just recycle it.

In case you did not know, when your Kindle is lost/stolen, you go onto the website and deregister so that nobody can access your Amazon account and then report it lost/stolen. You should know that when you deregister, all your personal information including personal note on how to contact you if lost/stolen is wiped. So, put a piece of tape somewhere on your unit with your contact information so that someone CAN return it to you if found.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:34 AM   #23
crimsonsnow
Enthusiast
crimsonsnow began at the beginning.

Device: Yotaphone 2, Kobo Aura, FBReader
Oh, something I could relate, I always misplace my thing everywhere, if my nose is not glued onto my face I think I will misplace it. I set my sleep screensaver to my contact information and put my card in the case, so hopefully if it get lost and someone nice finds it it can be returned.

I always afraid that I left my reader (more than my phone) somewhere, I always double-check. Last time before a long flight I left my reader in the boarding area and realised it straight after I got seated. Fortunately the stewards and stewardesses were very helpful and I got reunited with it just before the plane departed.
crimsonsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 11:30 AM   #24
Red Falcon
Addict
Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
I have lost MP3 players, Phones, Game Systems and enough hats, gloves and umbrellas to outfit a football team.
Red Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:46 PM   #25
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Falcon View Post
I have lost MP3 players, Phones, Game Systems and enough hats, gloves and umbrellas to outfit a football team.
And I've lost a phone, and a Kindle, only to find it went through the wash. By the way, the Kindle Keyboard was undamaged, after dry-out, except for the screen having cracked.

Last month, I left a Kindle Keyboard at the supermarket, along with (unless I lost it somewhere else) medicine I'd just picked up. I returned to the market in about an hour. The Kindle was at customer service, but the meds are gone forever. I think that was enough to teach me a lesson about not losing stuff that should last through, oh, next week.

There's a reason I usually buy old models, used

Desktops will always be better than laptops. Harder to lose.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 01:23 AM   #26
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
E-readers, no; hats, yes. I'm a big fan of hats (essential if you're a keen walker and live in or visit hot or wet countries) and I've left hats at airline check-in desks, on planes, trains, boats and buses, on mountain-tops and by the sea. I could certainly have bought a number of top-end readers with what I've had to spend on replacement hats.
With me it's winter scarves. I lost a plaid design one that had once belonged to my paternal grandfather once. Never did find it again. Several times I've had gloves slip out of a pocket (usually in a store) and have had to retrace my steps to find them. At least once a winter hat did the same thing. Any particular style of hat HarryT?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:50 AM   #27
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
When I was in college, it was a large coffee cup. I was always misplacing it.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 03:31 AM   #28
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
And I've lost a phone, and a Kindle, only to find it went through the wash. By the way, the Kindle Keyboard was undamaged, after dry-out, except for the screen having cracked.
My kid's Nokia phone - the kind that costs twenty bucks and is just a phone - went through both washer and dryer, and emerged completely unscathed, albeit clean.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 03:37 AM   #29
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Well, this thread scared me yesterday I was coming from vacation and, in the plane, I couldn't find my ereader. I thought I had left it at the tray in the airport... I only had misplaced in other bag Well, a 5.1" phone is OK for reading in a 2'5 hours flight
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:35 AM   #30
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Well, this thread scared me yesterday I was coming from vacation and, in the plane, I couldn't find my ereader. I thought I had left it at the tray in the airport... I only had misplaced in other bag Well, a 5.1" phone is OK for reading in a 2'5 hours flight
Oddly, I guess, I don't mind reading on my smart phone (an elderly Samsung Galaxy S5). I prefer a larger screen, but I find I can read on the phone just fine, for as long as I want.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote