Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 09-19-2016, 11:56 PM   #1
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
September 2016 Discussion: Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad (spoilers)

The time has come to discuss the September 2016 MobileRead Book Club selection, Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad. What did you think?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:57 PM   #2
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I'm behind and haven't read it yet. But if life will just give me a moment or two...
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2016, 05:53 PM   #3
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I read both the ebook from here and listened to the audiobook from Librivox.
Old 09-23-2016, 01:10 PM   #4
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok, I've only read 1/3rd of this or so, but that's IT. I'm done with it. Despite excellent writing, and superb narration (Frederick Davidson), there is no way I want to read this book. I find it offensive, disgusting, and not how I want to spend my precious reading time. (Yes, I know, it's a product of it's time. Got that. And yes, I know all about the evils of the colonization of Africa by various European powers. Enough to know that the Belgians took those evils to new lengths.) I don't need to read this to understand the evils, I already "get it". I don't need to read this for a class (I'm WELL past that!) And I certainly don't need to read this for pleasure, cause it won't give me any. I feel like my ears and mind need a thorough flushing with lye to remove the nastiness.

I'm going to go read Hiroshima now, where it's still a dark moment in human history, but where the author treats the humans as humans, and a book where I think I might actually learn something.
Old 09-23-2016, 09:11 PM   #5
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Wasn't a pleasant book. It was perhaps the longest 82 page book I've ever read. Did have a few thoughts to ponder, though.

Quote:
No fear can stand up to hunger, no patience can wear it out, disgust simply does not exist where hunger is; and as to superstition, beliefs, and what you may call principles, they are less than chaff in a breeze.
~ Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness
Advert
Old 09-24-2016, 06:10 AM   #6
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Ok, I've only read 1/3rd of this or so, but that's IT. I'm done with it. Despite excellent writing, and superb narration (Frederick Davidson), there is no way I want to read this book. I find it offensive, disgusting, and not how I want to spend my precious reading time. (Yes, I know, it's a product of it's time. Got that. And yes, I know all about the evils of the colonization of Africa by various European powers. Enough to know that the Belgians took those evils to new lengths.) I don't need to read this to understand the evils, I already "get it". I don't need to read this for a class (I'm WELL past that!) And I certainly don't need to read this for pleasure, cause it won't give me any. I feel like my ears and mind need a thorough flushing with lye to remove the nastiness.

I'm going to go read Hiroshima now, where it's still a dark moment in human history, but where the author treats the humans as humans, and a book where I think I might actually learn something.
I read the first 3 sentences and decided not to pursue the thankless task of reading it.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 07:57 AM   #7
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
I didnt get a chance to read it either and looks like I might have to miss October one as well.
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 09:34 AM   #8
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Wasn't a pleasant book. It was perhaps the longest 82 page book I've ever read. Did have a few thoughts to ponder, though.
Just shows how he can speak volumes in a few sentences. The quote you picked Tom is a good example. Hunger in the extreme can change ones principals. Cannibalism is something that no one wants to do. An abomination, yet it happens when people are starving and want to survive.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 09:57 AM   #9
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I find the prose in this mesmerizing. I couldn't take an endless litany of atrocities, but Conrad keeps it short and I find nothing in it gratuitous. It's a gut-punch, but everything can't be hugs and puppies. I'm more to the end of the spectrum that says literature just is and not that it does or should have an end other than itself; just the same, I think the evocation of evil serves a purpose and I find it easier to take in a fictional representation than the daily horrors visited on us in the news media.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 11:42 AM   #10
CRussel
(he/him/his)

I take your point, issybird, but that doesn't mean I need to read it at this point in my life. It's very well written, and has a place in the literature that we all should read in our youth. But I've read it, and reading it again just isn't something I need (or want) to do. Sort of how I feel about Lord of the Flies. I'm glad I read it, it was a powerful book, but I don't need to go there again.
Old 09-30-2016, 02:59 PM   #11
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I'm not going to reread Lord of the Flies , either.

That said, I think I have a far greater appreciation for beautiful prose now than I did in my salad days and that for me is the benefit in rereading. The story doesn't change and I remembered this one well enough (not surprising!), but my level of discernment has changed for the better. Another example is Tender is the Night, a book club selection a few years ago. I was bowled away; on rereading it became one of the best books I'd ever read.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 04:00 PM   #12
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I find the prose in this mesmerizing. I couldn't take an endless litany of atrocities, but Conrad keeps it short and I find nothing in it gratuitous. It's a gut-punch, but everything can't be hugs and puppies. I'm more to the end of the spectrum that says literature just is and not that it does or should have an end other than itself; just the same, I think the evocation of evil serves a purpose and I find it easier to take in a fictional representation than the daily horrors visited on us in the news media.
My sentiments exactly.

I do see how this would be a more difficult read depending on ones frame of mind during reading. I read it years ago, and thought the narration seemed dreamlike, interspersed with with images that seemed like hallucinations. I can certainly understand how the movie Apocalypse, had similarities based on The Heart of Darkness. The other worldliness of it.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote