Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 10-19-2010, 06:27 PM   #1
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
B&N press event October 26

Just saw this on Teleread.
"very special event".
Nook2?

http://www.teleread.com/paul-biba/ba...well-be-there/
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:48 PM   #2
Doug Pardee
Zealot
Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.

Device: B&N NOOK 3G
I'm guessing no NOOK 2. I'm guessing dramatically reduced NOOK pricing for the holiday season.

Conceivably, they could introduce a wired-only NOOK, but I really don't think that'll happen. There certainly could be a 3G/Pearl in addition to some other announcement, but I don't think 3G/Pearl alone would be worth the hoopla.

It could be some internationalization of NOOK, but I'm doubting that.

It's even possible that the announcement has nothing to do with NOOK—like maybe Len Riggio taking B&N private—but I'm guessing the announcement is indeed NOOK-related.

I guess we'll find out in a week.
Doug Pardee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2010, 07:06 PM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
New Nook coming soon?

Quote:
For those of you who like to keep track of release dates, the Barnes & Noble Nook was announced on October 20, 2009. Almost to the day, Barnes & Noble has sent out an invite to members of the media, requesting their appearance at an event next Tuesday, October 26th in New York. We presume--but can't confirm--that this is for the launch of a next-generation Nook e-reader.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:06 PM   #4
Starearedkid
Starearedkid is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook
End of agency pricing?

I can only wish!
Starearedkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:11 PM   #5
psercki
psercki began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 600 and nook
I recieved an e-mail from Barnes and Noble that they will be releasing a new firmware featuring custom organization, syncing with other devices and faster page turns.
psercki is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2010, 12:09 AM   #6
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
I'm in the it's not a new Nook camp. they just had a press release about the biggest update to the nook todate.

my guess it's the unveiling of the all new look BN Physical bookstores with the new Nook cafe's and Nook learning centers.

The BN near me is under construction right now.

I could be wrong but I would find it odd to annouce a huge update to their current product only to have a new one introduced a week later.
If that is the case then that is awesome customer service and taking care of their customers. To unleash a major update to it's early adopters in an age which usually means you have to buy a new product to get the new goodies, would be really something.

but again I think it's an unveiling of the whole new look BN bookstores with the Nook and the nook ebooks across different platforms/devices being the center piece of it.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:31 AM   #7
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I'm thinking it's some type of special promotion. Lower prices or package deal.

B&N stores have added extra staff for that week so whatever is announced is expected to increase store traffic.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:36 AM   #8
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
I'm in the it's not a new Nook camp. they just had a press release about the biggest update to the nook todate.

my guess it's the unveiling of the all new look BN Physical bookstores with the new Nook cafe's and Nook learning centers.

The BN near me is under construction right now.

I could be wrong but I would find it odd to annouce a huge update to their current product only to have a new one introduced a week later.
If that is the case then that is awesome customer service and taking care of their customers. To unleash a major update to it's early adopters in an age which usually means you have to buy a new product to get the new goodies, would be really something.

but again I think it's an unveiling of the whole new look BN bookstores with the Nook and the nook ebooks across different platforms/devices being the center piece of it.
If it's a new Nook, I'd guess the firmware update was deliberately planned to be released when it was. Keep customers happy in this market is very important, especially when competing against Amazon. Speaking of Amazon, the Kindle's 2.5 firmware upgrade was released just a couple months prior to the K3 announcement. They want to give their older customers something to appreciate. The new hardware alone is worth upgrading for, so without new firmware with at least some of the features of the new model, the people who don't have the money or aren't inclined to spend it would just be PO'd rather than more likely to upgrade.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:56 AM   #9
AndyfromVA
Zealot
AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook 1E, K3, K4, Paperwhite 2
My prediction is that the announcement will say that a Nook 2 released in late November.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 01:47 AM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Physical bookstores are a dying breed. I've never even been in a B&N store and doubt I ever will. The last time I was in a bookstore was in the 90's.

For me: internet + ebooks = bye bye bookstore
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:12 AM   #11
:D ominik
Groupie
:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Pardee View Post
It could be some internationalization of NOOK, but I'm doubting that.
More likely than unlikely. B&N and the german "Libreka" ebook store recently started a cooperation to offer Libreka's german content directly to nook users (via nook's on-board shop). Definitely the first step to internationalization!
:D ominik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:57 AM   #12
jedema
jedema began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Classic
interesting. Well... at least I still have my reciept so I can get a price adjustment... or return it for a Nook 2.
jedema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:41 AM   #13
mcooke66
Connoisseur
mcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nook ST - Nook 1st Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Physical bookstores are a dying breed. I've never even been in a B&N store and doubt I ever will. The last time I was in a bookstore was in the 90's.

For me: internet + ebooks = bye bye bookstore
I am one of those who enjoys the reality of a bookstore, I think they will be around a lot longer than other media formats such as DVD, Blue ray, CD's etc. which will all be digitally streamed instead of purchased in physical form.

I am in the B&N near me all the time and the place is packed, I mean parking lot usually 75% filled any weekend day of the year and busy until closing. How they can have financial issues is beyond me, or could it just be incompetence.

I think books are such an old medium that they will be that last to fade away and it will be a long time before paper books disappear. I am just hoping it is college textbooks that go first as I have 2 kids entering college in the next few years
mcooke66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:39 PM   #14
DuncanWatson
Kindle Convert
DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook (all)
I like going into B&N stores with my nook. I get wifi, the cafe, I get to browse physical books and then read them in-store for free on my nook. It is a nice casual way to enjoy a few hours and doesn't cost anything. Of course I end up buying a few new books but I got to read part (most) of them first and know I will enjoy them.

It is a win-win. It is one of the features I like about the nook. And it leverages their existing brick and mortar stores. A wise move.
DuncanWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:32 PM   #15
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
This is what I've gathered [stolen] from various websites and posts:

Engadget has been invited to the press event.

Press event is being held in Union Square which is a much smaller venue than last year.

Store staffing levels increased and hired temporary workers for next week.

FCC hasnt as of yet indicated new device.

B&N has a partnership with a German ebook store where nook owners can purchase german books directly on their nooks.

It seems that there are multiple announcements indicated because there are conflicting info....
Tech company invites = new device
Small venue = fewer media expected
Staffing = immediate increase in store traffic = lower price/promotion
FCC = no wifi or 3G device = wired Nook or rebranded 3rd party device
German partnership = international nook
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote