Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-11-2017, 03:08 PM   #1
Hanspeter
Connoisseur
Hanspeter doesn't litterHanspeter doesn't litter

Device: Kindel PW1, Voyager
Schowtime Kual extension, Show current time while reading

Hi,

since my Kual extension to show the titlebar while reading a book (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...6&postcount=49) is not working anymore in the current Firmware (The clock is not updated). I needed to find a other solution.

I updated an old extension started by twobob (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=16 ) with some code from NiLuJe (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...2&postcount=44) and encol (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...postcount=1541).

The extension will print the current time in the upper right corner with every page turn. I hope it works on all devices to find the right screen size and page turn commands.

Power consumption should be minimal. Only disadvantage is that the time is only updated by a page turn. If you need a long time to read a page the time will be wrong.

Thanks for all you hacking that this is based on.

HaPe

13-Feb 2017:
V1.2
- Changed device detection code, hope it find now Oasis an some others
- Added Version Information to Kual menu

05-Feb 2017:
V1.1
- Removed seconds
- Quit running background script before starting a new one
- Added logging of model number
- Added action to copy system log
- Added possibility to show battery level
- Added selection to show in row 0 or row 1
Attached Files
File Type: zip showtime-V1.2.zip (3.5 KB, 645 views)

Last edited by Hanspeter; 02-13-2017 at 04:00 PM.
Hanspeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 05:14 PM   #2
encol
Evangelist
encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 5.8.5.0.1
thanks for sharing
encol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 05:54 AM   #3
dan3008
dan3008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dan3008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dan3008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dan3008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dan3008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dan3008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dan3008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dan3008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dan3008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dan3008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dan3008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KT3 - and loving it
looks intresting, but isnt working on my KT3

I'll have a look over the next few days see if I can sus it out, and let you know
dan3008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:50 AM   #4
Hanspeter
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan3008 View Post
looks intresting, but isnt working on my KT3

I'll have a look over the next few days see if I can sus it out, and let you know
Look into the extension/bin folder. There should be a showtime.log that tells you the settings that where detected. Perhaps there is something wrong. I do not own a KT3 to check.

HaPe
Old 01-12-2017, 01:41 PM   #5
dan3008
dan3008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dan3008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dan3008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dan3008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dan3008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dan3008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dan3008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dan3008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dan3008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dan3008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dan3008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KT3 - and loving it
thanks, I'll take a look.
dan3008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:20 AM   #6
Scorpions
Scorpions began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite3
can pw3 work?
Scorpions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:33 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpions View Post
can pw3 work?
Try it, report back on the results.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 10:54 AM   #8
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpions View Post
can pw3 work?
It does work on PW3.
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 04:13 PM   #9
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Just installed it to my KV (i.e. copied into extensions/ & started via KUAL) and all seems good - I'm used to the feature of the update only occurring on page-turn, from when I had used my Sony 505!
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 01:50 PM   #10
anduska
anduska began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Touch
Thank you for this useful extension!

I tested it on an original Touch and a PW2. It worked on both, but unfortunately the top of the first line of text was obscured on both devices. Is it maybe possible to move the time display more to the top/decrease its font size?

Also, on the Touch there was some interesting behavior:
- the display is constantly visible, even when not in book,
- on page refresh sometimes the seconds keep going for a few seconds,
- sometimes the extension stopped working after exiting a book, had to restart manually.

Lastly, would it be possible to not show seconds?

Thanks again!
anduska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 05:36 AM   #11
Hanspeter
Connoisseur

Hi Anduska,

can you post the showtime.log from the extension folder and some screenshots showing the problems.
As fare as I know I can't change the font or font size of the command that I use to write on the screen. I can only change the position. As I do not have a Touch the current position is not tested.

- the display is constantly visible, even when not in book
This should not be the case. I would need some more information to fix that.

- on page refresh sometimes the seconds keep going for a few seconds,
Can happen if the statment that I check in /var/log/messages is send more then once for every page turn

- sometimes the extension stopped working after exiting a book, had to restart manually.
Can happen if the device is running into memory problems and the system is starting to free up ram

- Lastly, would it be possible to not show seconds?
Yes, thought about that and also to show the current Battery status.

HaPe
Old 02-01-2017, 03:35 PM   #12
anduska
anduska began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Touch
Hi HaPe,

I've attached the log files and pictures for both devices (sorry for the quality). As you can see, on the PW2 only a few pixels to the top would be enough, on the Touch a little bit more.

If you are asking, I vote for no seconds and no battery display
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pw2.jpg
Views:	663
Size:	605.5 KB
ID:	154677   Click image for larger version

Name:	touch book.jpg
Views:	609
Size:	261.0 KB
ID:	154678   Click image for larger version

Name:	touch home.jpg
Views:	589
Size:	364.5 KB
ID:	154679  
Attached Files
File Type: txt showtime pw2.txt (34 Bytes, 414 views)
File Type: txt showtime touch.txt (34 Bytes, 423 views)
anduska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 02:50 AM   #13
Hanspeter
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by anduska View Post
Hi HaPe,

I've attached the log files and pictures for both devices (sorry for the quality). As you can see, on the PW2 only a few pixels to the top would be enough, on the Touch a little bit more.

Thanks for the quick feedback. I think about making it configurable if you what to see the battery level. Seconds make no scene at all, as they wont be right all the time.

About the problem that you see the time on the main menu of the Kindle Touch. Dose this happen after all actions in the main menu or only on some actions?

I will include a function in the next version to save the /var/log/messages that is used to find the page turns. Hope that we are able to find the wrong once and filter them out

HaPe.
Old 02-05-2017, 06:13 PM   #14
Hanspeter
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by anduska View Post
Hi HaPe,

Hi,

added a new version to the first post where you can select if the time should be displayed in row 0 or row 1.

Also there is a action to copy the system log, that is used to find the page turns, into the showtime/bin directory. Start the extension on the touch, open a book, scroll some pages, got to the main menu with the wrong display, open kual as select the copy system log action. Then attach the messages.log here.

HaPe
Old 02-06-2017, 06:11 PM   #15
poczynek
Zealot
poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Forma
Just to confirm how to install: just dump extracted files into root folder of Kindle?

EDIT:

All good - worked out to put in Extensions folder and then works. Thanks.

Last edited by poczynek; 02-06-2017 at 06:16 PM.
poczynek is offline   Reply With Quote