Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-22-2012, 08:28 AM   #1
andy2082
andy2082 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.andy2082 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.andy2082 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.andy2082 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.andy2082 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.andy2082 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.andy2082 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.andy2082 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.andy2082 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.andy2082 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.andy2082 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle 3G keyboard
Any help with debricking kindle 3?

Hi, if anyone can help it would be much appreciated. Apologies if this is in the wrong place. I tried debricking my frozen kindle 3 (3G and WiFi) with the guide here: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/K3noobdebrickatk. All was fine until I clicked on the Program button in the ATK (steps 12 and 16). Both said 'Failed to initial flash or Do not support this Flash, please reset the target' in the large box. I followed the instructions fine and all seemed ok to this point.
The only thing I questioned was the instructions on holding the kindle power then volume switch - it did not appear to change anything on the computer screen? the computer did beep, as if a new USB thing had been plugged in.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Andrew
andy2082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:44 AM   #2
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
First take a look into your system's device list. The USB device should present itself as a "SE Blank Ringo" device. Also, please give a bit more information about the state of your device - how did it went into a brick?

Also note that there is a lengthy thread about unbricking K3s using this method: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=186076 You should read it and make a few conclusions about your Kindle yourself, maybe ask your question there (but then, you've opened this thread, and probably further discussion will follow).
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:34 PM   #3
andy2082
andy2082 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.andy2082 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.andy2082 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.andy2082 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.andy2082 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.andy2082 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.andy2082 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.andy2082 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.andy2082 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.andy2082 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.andy2082 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Thanks for your reply, I will take a read through those pages. In the interim, it initially froze during normal use, then restarted a couple of times with me trying the 30 second power switch method to restart. Then froze for good on the menu screen. Charged via wall socket for 2 days, although the orange light stays on for an hour or two before going off. No sign of the green light. Removed battery and reinstalled it, tried recharging and no change on the screen.

I just plugged it into the computer and it does not show up on the device list.... tried the power switch and the volume key and no beeping or sign of any device, althought the light does go orange when it is in the computer.

Many thanks for any help
Old 11-24-2012, 07:16 AM   #4
andy2082

Ok, update here: I installed a new battery, which stays on the orange light for 3-4 hours before the light goes out completely. The Kindle reliably connects to the computer and appears as 'Jungo' with MX35 and WinDriver in the tree for this device. I tried repeating the flash process, and noticed that when I press Program the computer beeps as if it is disconnecting. It does not however, disappear from the device list.

In the other forum I saw Hawhills post discussing a similar problem, and downloaded this file partitiontable-header-uboot.img.gz (51.6 KB, 109 views) (message 144), but am unsure what to type in the address box for this.

Reading after this post does confuse me, I have no experience of what flashing devices is or anything, so any guided help would be appreciated.

Is there a way to move this thread to the correct place?

many thanks for any help.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:53 AM   #5
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170929 is the general thread.

I too a usure about the location for that. could be beginning of drive? but you should be SURE as no doubt you know by now. I just don't know.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:15 AM   #6
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
/etc/rc.d/functions on the 3 says 0x00000000 is for the "partition map" probably what you need.
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:21 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlob View Post
/etc/rc.d/functions on the 3 says 0x00000000 is for the "partition map" probably what you need.
And fdisk -l {device name or image file} says it is a standard DOS hard disk format, disk label in the first 512 bytes of the device.

I am pretty sure I have read where Hawhill described where it goes and how to use it. You might have to search and/or read a bit.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:25 AM   #8
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Mine went south two weeks ago, the switch on the bottom broke and I could no longer turn it off. Had to do a forced upgrade, next time I cman take my time about upgrading since I have a backup now.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:14 AM   #9
andy2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by qlob View Post
What is /etc/rc.d/functions on the 3?

Thanks otherwise, I tried it with 0x00000000 in the address portion of ATK, and it comes with same error, Failed to initial flash or Do not support this Flash, please reset the target

Any ideas?
Old 11-24-2012, 10:38 AM   #10
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Time to recharge the battery?
Old 11-24-2012, 11:09 AM   #11
andy2082

I charged it for 24 hours, then bought a new battery which I also charged for 24 hours.... Saw on the other thread something about the kindle needing to function to charge the battery, but have no way to check the percentage of charge or the voltage outside the kindle.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:09 PM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy2082 View Post
I charged it for 24 hours, then bought a new battery which I also charged for 24 hours.... Saw on the other thread something about the kindle needing to function to charge the battery, but have no way to check the percentage of charge or the voltage outside the kindle.
Yes, I remember your posts.
But that was the only idea I had to offer, even if it was an old idea.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:45 AM   #13
andy2082

No problem, thanks for the thought. I think its time to ring Amazon and bite the bullet for a new one...
Old 11-25-2012, 07:58 AM   #14
andy2082

Just as an extra for anyone else who gets a replacement kindle - amazon offered one for £55, so I asked if they cna do it cheaper and it was no problem to send it for £35.... so always ask!