Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-21-2010, 12:43 PM   #1
Balerion
Connoisseur
Balerion began at the beginning.

Device: K2i K3w
Windows users .... quick'n'easy Kindle ejection !!!

Hi all

Your Kindle's ejection can now be just one click or a double-click away, instead of about four... may not seem much, buy hey, technology is all about making life simpler isn't it

After many a search and many a failure, I finally found a third party app that ejects our Kindles without having to go to the "eject" command on your Kindle drive letter's context menu.

All credit goes to Uwe Sieber for his EjectMedia command line program which can be found here (I have also attached it below).

I've got a K2i... maybe someone would like to use it on their K3 and let us know how it goes please? (I'm sure the drive manager settings are the same so should work just as well).

I've attached a copy of the download with a USB icon inside the zip as well (icon looks a bit like the white kindle usb connector).

The program has a 32 and 64 bit version, and will work in XP, Vista or 7.

So... for XP and Vista users, you can now make a shortcut to the program (with a drive letter parameter... read on), and have it sitting on your desktop or wherever, so now your Kindle's ejection is just one double-click away

Windows 7 users ... we've got it even better because we can pin the shortcut to our taskbars so our Kindle ejection is now just one single click away

HOW TO CREATE A SHORTCUT TO THE PROGRAM WITH A DRIVE LETTER PARAMETER

1) RIGHT-click an empty area on your desktop (or wherever) and go to

NEW ---> SHORTCUT

2) Put the following into the target location of your new shortcut

(path to the ejectmedia program)<single-space>(kindle drive letter):<single-space>-L

Example:

C:\ejectmedia\Win32\EjectMedia.exe H: -L

IMPORTANT... I shouldn't need to say how important it is to get the drive letter correct, so that you don't accidentally do something nasty to your computer or any other devices if they are in use at the time.

NOTE... the -L is just one of the extra parameters available (this one being "loop until successful").

3) Then click NEXT, give your new shortcut an appropriate name, and then FINISH. tada!!!

4) IF YOU WANT TO CHANGE THE ICON OF THE SHORTCUT (the default is cheap and nasty)... RIGHT-click your shortcut, go to Properties, select Change Icon, browse for a new icon, select it, apply it, and your done

5) 7 users can then RIGHT-click the shortcut and select "Pin to taskbar" if they wish :

FINAL NOTE... I'm not sure how the program goes about ejecting the Kindle if it is in use at the time (I don't think it forces it because that is a separate parameter [-F])... I think a window comes up with an error saying that the drive is in use. In any case, just make sure that your files have finished transferring before you use it

Hope some people find this useful... I know I will
Attached Files
File Type: zip ejectmedia by Uwe Sieber.zip (61.1 KB, 255 views)

Last edited by Balerion; 10-21-2010 at 09:15 PM.
Balerion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:46 PM   #2
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Uhhh... I just do the WindowsKey + E and then right click + Eject...
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:54 PM   #3
Balerion
Connoisseur
Balerion began at the beginning.

Device: K2i K3w
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
Uhhh... I just do the WindowsKey + E and then right click + Eject...
hehehe that's still four actions though compared to a windows 7 or rocketdock/objectdock single click, with no need to open explorer at all.

But anyway, as simple as it is to eject it, I just thought I'd make it even easier by sharing this.
Balerion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:03 PM   #4
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi; Kindle Paperwhite
Thank you both for these methods to eject the kindle. I've just been going to the icon on my desktop for my computer, right clicking on the Kindle icon and clicking on "eject." (Windows 7, 64 bit OS) Tierstan's method is a bit faster and Balerion's is even faster (but first you have to go through all of that downloading stuff and making a shortcut, and..... )

Holly
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:10 PM   #5
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
I drag my Kindle to the Mac-bin.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:35 PM   #6
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kobo
right click on Kindle icon...eject.
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 07:32 AM   #7
Polyhive
Polyhive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyhive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyhive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyhive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyhive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyhive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyhive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyhive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyhive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyhive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyhive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
And now I have just found that the right-click in win 11 does not a lot and certainly does not eject anymore? Anyone know how to eject now?
Polyhive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 06:51 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyhive View Post
And now I have just found that the right-click in win 11 does not a lot and certainly does not eject anymore? Anyone know how to eject now?
Odd. On my computer running Windows 11, a right click on the Kindle icon in This PC still shows an eject item and clicking on it ejects the Kindle. See attached image.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle_eject_Win11.png
Views:	127
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	189960  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eject, kindle, program, remove, usb