Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-24-2021, 10:17 AM   #31
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
For some ironic reason, it can be bought from amazon Canada https://www.amazon.ca/Limited-Premiu...084963&sr=8-28

I say ironic because I remember how long it took Amazon to release the Voyage to Canada.
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 10:19 AM   #32
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How good is the screen of the PW5?
We / I will know Wednesday.
I will be able to compare to the Libra 2 and Sage.
Advert
Old 10-24-2021, 10:28 AM   #33
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almamida View Post
For some ironic reason, it can be bought from amazon Canada https://www.amazon.ca/Limited-Premiu...084963&sr=8-28

I say ironic because I remember how long it took Amazon to release the Voyage to Canada.

.....and $68.74 U.S. dollars
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 11:13 AM   #34
Almamida
Guru

It was more expensive when it was released
Old 10-24-2021, 03:22 PM   #35
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgilster View Post
I have to ask whether the limited edition leather case was an Amazon product? I assume it's no longer available, but I sure do like the look of it!

Paul
Yes, it is an Amazon limited edition case.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2021, 01:24 PM   #36
quatermass
quatermass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.quatermass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.quatermass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.quatermass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.quatermass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.quatermass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.quatermass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.quatermass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.quatermass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.quatermass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.quatermass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrf View Post
Did anyone ever figure out why the Voyage screen was better than anything else out there? The blacks just look like actual ink on paper, but why can't Amazon or Kobo do that again?
Because Amazon stopped caring about Kindle years ago. Hasn't been their prestige product for a long time. Cheap nasty yellow screens and no longer paperwhite, it's all fuzzy, low contrast garbage now, even on the awful flagship Oasis. If Amazon actually listened to their customers who've been around this hobby awhile, the Voyage would return as their flagship product, available in two sizes and unpolluted by "warm light" tech since it's inclusion guarantees a fuzzy, low-contrast screen.
quatermass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 01:39 PM   #37
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by quatermass View Post
Because Amazon stopped caring about Kindle years ago. Hasn't been their prestige product for a long time. Cheap nasty yellow screens and no longer paperwhite, it's all fuzzy, low contrast garbage now, even on the awful flagship Oasis. If Amazon actually listened to their customers who've been around this hobby awhile, the Voyage would return as their flagship product, available in two sizes and unpolluted by "warm light" tech since it's inclusion guarantees a fuzzy, low-contrast screen.
Wow, such a rant!

I for one would not buy an ereader without the warm light, and no doubt many others wouldn't either, so where are those hordes of customers Amazon should listen to in this? You seem to be in the minority with this preference, from what I've read here through the years.

And for the record, the Oasis 2 with no warm light had worse contrast than the Oasis 3 has. So no, it's not the warm light.

Last edited by Sirtel; 10-25-2021 at 01:42 PM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 01:53 PM   #38
Almamida
Guru

I second Sirtel, Oasis 3 jas a better contrast than the Oasis 2.
The warm light is optional anyway.
Old 10-25-2021, 01:55 PM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
We / I will know Wednesday.
I will be able to compare to the Libra 2 and Sage.
That will be great. I look forward to the comparison.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 01:57 PM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I second Sirtel, Oasis 3 jas a better contrast than the Oasis 2.
The warm light is optional anyway.
But the PW3's screen is better then the PW4. The PW3 is clearer and sharper.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 02:24 PM   #41
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
I would submit that the average consumer of a Kindle looks at price first and quality second. Cheapest seems to be the driving factor. Most subscribers here are not the average ereader consumer.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 02:45 PM   #42
Almamida
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But the PW3's screen is better then the PW4. The PW3 is clearer and sharper.
I don't know, I've never owned a PW3.
For the PW4, my brother in law ordered one. I compared it to mine and his has a better contrast. Mine is almost 3 years old, maybe they improved the screen quality or it's just the random luck / bad luck ratio inherent to the e-ink technology
Old 10-25-2021, 03:40 PM   #43
quatermass
quatermass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.quatermass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.quatermass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.quatermass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.quatermass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.quatermass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.quatermass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.quatermass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.quatermass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.quatermass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.quatermass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Wow, such a rant!

I for one would not buy an ereader without the warm light, and no doubt many others wouldn't either, so where are those hordes of customers Amazon should listen to in this? You seem to be in the minority with this preference, from what I've read here through the years.

And for the record, the Oasis 2 with no warm light had worse contrast than the Oasis 3 has. So no, it's not the warm light.
What I said is that since putting a stake thru the Voyage, Amazon has refused to release a Kindle with a high contrast screen, white as paper, which is the name of the product so it's clearly a selling point. Open a book. Black letters jump out against the white BG. That used to be the selling point; gorgeous contrast. You need a warn light, fine. But what about the rest of us who need the high contrast that Amazon used to set as a goal of perfection in the Kindle?

I can't read on a low contrast, cheap, blurry screen which is now standard across the line. A warm light, even at its lowest makes it close to unreadable for me and others. Add a warm light, put it at its lowest setting and the "white" screen is even worse than on a Kindle without that feature, or on any Oasis since the original tiny one. Bottom line; Kindles post-Voyage cannot do true paperwhite. Add a warm light, even worse. It's amazing how Amazon managed to sell millions of Kindles over a decade before the warm light trend.

How about a Kindle for the rest of us? Like, I dunno, the peak Kindle called Voyage? Just one damn device with a quality screen and no warm light. No one who looks at text on a Voyage says, "eh, it's okay." As I've posted a dozen times, there's millions of us who loved our Kindles cuz the text looked like a new book and not one that's been out in the sun all summer. I need a Kindle to read. My eyes are shot. I need the high contrast, cool screen and the ability to embiggen text. Y'know, a Kindle. They don't come out every year anymore and with every rare upgrade I expect them to go farther from the ideal, at higher cost and they never let me down. What about people like me? Too bad?

Yeah, I'm now a ranter, cuz my favorite device is pretty much gone now and I'm not seeing much better in the competition.
quatermass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 04:21 PM   #44
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
What I said is that since putting a stake thru the Voyage, Amazon has refused to release a Kindle with a high contrast screen, white as paper, which is the name of the product so it's clearly a selling point. Open a book. Black letters jump out against the white BG. That used to be the selling point; gorgeous contrast. You need a warn light, fine. But what about the rest of us who need the high contrast that Amazon used to set as a goal of perfection in the Kindle?

I can't read on a low contrast, cheap, blurry screen which is now standard across the line. A warm light, even at its lowest makes it close to unreadable for me and others. Add a warm light, put it at its lowest setting and the "white" screen is even worse than on a Kindle without that feature, or on any Oasis since the original tiny one. Bottom line; Kindles post-Voyage cannot do true paperwhite. Add a warm light, even worse. It's amazing how Amazon managed to sell millions of Kindles over a decade before the warm light trend.

How about a Kindle for the rest of us? Like, I dunno, the peak Kindle called Voyage? Just one damn device with a quality screen and no warm light. No one who looks at text on a Voyage says, "eh, it's okay." As I've posted a dozen times, there's millions of us who loved our Kindles cuz the text looked like a new book and not one that's been out in the sun all summer. I need a Kindle to read. My eyes are shot. I need the high contrast, cool screen and the ability to embiggen text. Y'know, a Kindle. They don't come out every year anymore and with every rare upgrade I expect them to go farther from the ideal, at higher cost and they never let me down. What about people like me? Too bad?

Yeah, I'm now a ranter, cuz my favorite device is pretty much gone now and I'm not seeing much better in the competition.
I'm sorry for your loss of the Voyage. But it was one of a kind. There were no screens like that before the Voyage either. How did you manage then?

Say what you will, in no way would I call the later Kindles or Kobos blurry, even if they're not quite as sharp as the Voyage was. Of course it helps that I choose a dark, contrasty font and don't depend on the default ones.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 07:01 PM   #45
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I will certainly agree with quartermass about the black letters that practically jump off the screen on the Voyage.

If, as I've heard it entertained that it's the micro-etched glass that does it, then I would gladly pay a premium price for a premium screen. One that echoes the Voyage's screen.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote