Linux OpenSuse Leap 15.2
Calibre: 5.24.0
Kobo-desktop: 4.28.15823 installed with wine
DeDRM: 7.2.1
obokDeDRM '7.2.1'

I sum up the problem.

i bought this book

https://www.kobo.com/fr/fr/search?qu...cationDateDesc

I use calibre and obok plugin for importing this book.
There is no problem for obok removing the drm.
The problem is that obok( calibre ?) produces a book with a foolish layout.
ADE importing from kobo the same book, produces also a foolish layout!

I assume that the format of this ebook is a very special one.
At kobo site it is said "This ebook is a digital version of the paper guide without additional interactivity".
Perhaps this a beginning of an explanation.

I bought another book at kobo site which has a more standard format. There is no problem. drm is removed, and we get a good layout, thus a readable book.

I sent a report to dedrm team. They said it's not a dedrm problem.

Is it a calibre problem ?

see the dedrm report where i exlore the problem.
https://github.com/apprenticeharper/...ls/issues/1796

thanks
promeneur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 12:19 PM   #2
benbook
benbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1
After this - "ADE importing from kobo the same book, produces also a foolish layout!", why do you thing it's Calibre or the DeDRM plugin problem, and not something wrong in the book structure ?

You should turn to Kobo or to the book publisher.
benbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2021, 01:23 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Simply put this is a FIXED LAYOUT book.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 03:06 PM   #4
Sarmat89
Evangelist
Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
BTW 'foolish' means 'stupid'.
Sarmat89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 03:32 AM   #5
promeneur
promeneur began at the beginning.

Device: PC, smartphone,tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbook View Post
After this - "ADE importing from kobo the same book, produces also a foolish layout!", why do you thing it's Calibre or the DeDRM plugin problem, and not something wrong in the book structure ?

You should turn to Kobo or to the book publisher.
>> You should turn to Kobo or to the book publisher

I did not well explain.

Using the kobo reader app, there is no problem to read the book.

>> why do you thing it's Calibre or the DeDRM plugin problem?

There are two steps, importing a book in Calibre:
- removing the drm. This is made by the Obok plugin with success.
- create the book. This is made by Calibre. No ?

Then I assume Calibre does not recognize this special type of format.

I hope someone has a solution.

thanks
promeneur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2021, 12:00 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by promeneur View Post
>> You should turn to Kobo or to the book publisher

I did not well explain.

Using the kobo reader app, there is no problem to read the book.

>> why do you thing it's Calibre or the DeDRM plugin problem?

There are two steps, importing a book in Calibre:
- removing the drm. This is made by the Obok plugin with success.
- create the book. This is made by Calibre. No ?

Then I assume Calibre does not recognize this special type of format.

I hope someone has a solution.

thanks
Calibre does not create the book. It copies the book into it's library with the optional DRM removal which does not change the book content or layout.

If you are trying to read a fixed layout epub3 ebook, calibre's viewer will not work well with it nor will your Kobo ereader unless you send it to your ereader as a .kepub.epub to trigger use of the epub3 renderer (.epub will use the Adobe RMSDK renderer). If you open the ebook in calibre's editor you can look for "<meta property="rendition:layout">pre-paginated</meta>".

I've attached a screenshot from a fixed layout epub opened in calibre's viewer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre_fixed_layout_epub.png
Views:	130
Size:	179.2 KB
ID:	189259  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, importing kobo book, obok