Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-03-2020, 04:27 AM   #1
madbooks
madbooks began at the beginning.

Device: kindle keyboard
Kindle can't login to google

I have both a Kindle Keyboard and Kindle touch but for the last three months have been unable to login into google - I enter my gmail address and then it never gets to enter password page - just goes round and round and then says that it cannot connect. This is the same on the wifi as the 3g. I suspect google has changed its security protocols and wondered if anyone else has this problem? Any help gratefully received.
madbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 04:59 AM   #2
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
i am surprised that it ever did work ! adding the gmail app to amazon tablets has never worked, and given the way that Google & Amazon fought over youtube, chromecast ... I doubt that interoperability will improve any time soon

surely you should ask amazon if this is by design, or a bug, and also view amazon forums ?
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2020, 05:51 AM   #3
madbooks

It's worked fine for all the years I've had kindles. I used the experimental browser, not the app, and now can't access both gmail and yahoo.
Old 08-03-2020, 09:12 PM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
i am surprised that it ever did work ! adding the gmail app to amazon tablets has never worked, and given the way that Google & Amazon fought over youtube, chromecast ... I doubt that interoperability will improve any time soon

surely you should ask amazon if this is by design, or a bug, and also view amazon forums ?
Gmail is one of the preset bookmarks in the Kindle Keyboard's Experminetal Web Browser. It used to work, but I'm guessing the browser isn't modern enough to incorporate whatever security measures Google has recently installed (as mentioned by the OP).

Along with Gmail you also had the choice of Google, Wikipedia, Yahoo, Yahoo Mail, the New York Times, the BBC, Facebook and Twitter (along with Amazon and Amazon UK).
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 09:14 PM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbooks View Post
It's worked fine for all the years I've had kindles. I used the experimental browser, not the app, and now can't access both gmail and yahoo.
I can confirm that it doesn't work for me either on my Kindle Keyboard.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2020, 09:26 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I suspect Google has made some changes. I haven’t used the experimental browser in ages, may it RIP. Wonder if Dropbox, or Amazon Cloud drive for that matter, still works?
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:46 AM   #7
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I tried on my 2nd gen Oasis, and it didn't work for me either. I has worked in the past.
Deskisamess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 01:58 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
For what it is worth, Google/GMail now requires a TLS 1.2 connection with a supported TLS encryption scheme. TLS 1.3 is now the preferred connection.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 04:13 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The Kindle web browsers are not up-to-date enough to work on older Kindles. Can someone give it a try with 5.13.1 firmware?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 04:39 PM   #10
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I updated my Paperwhite to 15.3.1, and still can't log in to Google.

Error message is:

Couldn't sign you in. The browser you are using doesn't support JavaScript or has JavaScript turned off. To keep your Google account secure, try signing in on a browser that has JavaScript turned on.

I tried both the regular and the mobile url, same error on both.

I can search on Google, but can't sign in.
Old 08-04-2020, 04:59 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There we go. Kindles cannot log into Google/GMail.
Old 08-04-2020, 05:04 PM   #12
Deskisamess
Wizard

I will update my Oasis as well, but don't expect a different outcome.

Using Google for search is way different than signing in. Security is much different than it was just a few years ago.
Old 08-05-2020, 10:12 AM   #13
madbooks

Thanks for all your help and, just as I feared, no solution unfortunately
Old 08-05-2020, 03:52 PM   #14
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
For years I was happy to be able to check my Gmail on my Kindle Keyboard when I was traveling or had no access to a computer. Sometime in the last couple of months my Kindle stopping being able to access Gmail and a few other sites. As mentioned, I think the browser cannot handle security updates of many websites. I'm very grateful to have had free 3G internet on my Kindle for years. I wish there was a way to update the browser, but I fear the processor can't handle much more.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 04:06 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by montalex View Post
For years I was happy to be able to check my Gmail on my Kindle Keyboard when I was traveling or had no access to a computer. Sometime in the last couple of months my Kindle stopping being able to access Gmail and a few other sites. As mentioned, I think the browser cannot handle security updates of many websites. I'm very grateful to have had free 3G internet on my Kindle for years. I wish there was a way to update the browser, but I fear the processor can't handle much more.
The solution is to use your smart phone to check your email.

Tags
gmail, google, kindle keyboard, touch