Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-29-2020, 08:21 AM   #46
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
Which MacBook did you install it on? I’m thinking about using my Mac Mini 2012 as a Win 10 machine and High Sierra for 32-bit Mac apps. That way I can install Big Surr on my MacBook Pro 15” 2014 without losing the ability to use my 32-bit apps since I can run them on my Mini. I’ll wait until the public release in the Fall though.

Both of my Macs are pretty old now, so I will try to get the most out of them before switching to Win 10 or its next iteration. I doubt I’ll ever buy one of the non-intel models. I just don’t see software developers wanting to port their intel Mac apps over to the new chips. A few like Adobe and Microsoft will, but many of the others likely won’t. I hope I’m wrong on this, but only time will tell. I might upgrade to a newer intel based Mac at some point though.
MacBook pro, 15 inch 2018.

Microsoft lost me long ago and having used it at work until I retired at the end of 2018, I have zero desire to go back. It's hard to say what the future will bring. My understanding is that porting most software is kind of like going to the universal model for the iPhone/iPad, pretty easy to do. One of the issues with any operating system is orphaned apps no longer working. Windows has that problem as well.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 11:32 AM   #47
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post

Microsoft lost me long ago and having used it at work until I retired at the end of 2018, I have zero desire to go back. It's hard to say what the future will bring. My understanding is that porting most software is kind of like going to the universal model for the iPhone/iPad, pretty easy to do. One of the issues with any operating system is orphaned apps no longer working. Windows has that problem as well.
I hate Windows and MS with a passion too, but I can still easily find plenty of software apps for amateur radio programming, astrophotography post processing, and camera control for Windows. Those are my main passions these days. It is difficult to find those kinds of apps on macOS, especially freeware. The industry software app standards for each of those interests are Windows based apps. All three are niche markets, and niche markets usually don’t get as much support on macOS. Bottom line is that I am retired and primarily need/want to use a computer for those three interests, and macOS is not where the apps are located in any great numbers. Everything else I use a computer for can be done on either Windows or Macs.

I hate MS and Windows, but I kind of like the modern day Bill Gates. Bill and Steve Jobs were both total @#$%s when it came to running a business and dealing with their customers and employees, but at least Bill Gates finally grew a heart after retirement and seems to be doing a lot of good charity work. I cannot imagine Steve Jobs ever giving anyone a dime in his entire life!

BTW, I’m still interested on which MacBook you loaded Big Surr becauase my 2014 MacBook Pro is old and not that robust by today's standards. It has an i7 processor, a smallish 256GB SSD, 16GB RAM and it does well on Mojave, but Big Surr is two OS updates beyond Mojave so it might not run that well on my older MacBook Pro. I’m still running High Sierra on my 2012 Mac mini with an i5, 500GB HDD, and 16GB RAM, but it is rather sluggish at times, though mostly it runs okay.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2020, 11:40 AM   #48
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

I'm not sure of the details of Apples change to their own chips/OS, but it seems like Microsoft is relatively good (compared to Apple) about supporting orphaned apps?

I would guess that 9/10 orphaned apps written for Windows 10 years ago will still run and the number would be much lower for Apple, using the latest OSs?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 11:49 AM   #49
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I'm not sure of the details of Apples change to their own chips/OS, but it seems like Microsoft is relatively good (compared to Apple) about supporting orphaned apps?

I would guess that 9/10 orphaned apps written for Windows 10 years ago will still run and the number would be much lower for Apple, using the latest OSs?
I know Windows allows you to use an "Open as" option too. So say an old orphaned app was written for XP or Win 7 and won't run well, or at all, in Win 10, you can choose to run it as a Win 7 app in Win 10 which allows it to work.
Old 06-29-2020, 11:53 AM   #50
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:

I’m still using the same dual pane file manager program that I used on Windows 98. Only issue I have with it are the few files I encounter that have Unicode filenames.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2021, 07:24 AM   #51
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And the biggest news from the 2020 WWDC:

"Apple debuts first look at Foundation TV series, coming to Apple TV Plus "

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/22/2...imov-wwdc-2020

At least it was news to me, and I realize this is an old thread.
Old 06-24-2021, 09:22 AM   #52
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
And the biggest news from the 2020 WWDC:

"Apple debuts first look at Foundation TV series, coming to Apple TV Plus "

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/22/2...imov-wwdc-2020

At least it was news to me, and I realize this is an old thread.
2020? Isn't this 2021?

It's still listed as coming soon. I'm looking forward to it when it finally does hit the screen, that and the Tolkien series on Prime that is suppose to finally come out in the fall.
Old 06-24-2021, 09:38 AM   #53
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Yep, last year they promised the Apple TV+ programming coming soon. I bought an iPad or an ATV 4K or something which qualified me for a free year of TV+. It finally ends in mid July 2021. I'm not going to keep the subscription though. TV+ is not for me. I've tried finding something to watch other than a movie or two which they added because of the COVID-19 quarantines and closed theaters. None of their series were that interesting to me nor written for my age group.

TV+ is just another Prime Video wherein they show you tons of shows but when you click on them you discover you have to pay to buy or rent them, or you have to buy a separate subscription. TV+ and Prime Video are both pretty much worthless, except with my Amazon Prime subscription I do get other perks. If I add TV+ and Prime Video together, there are perhaps 6 shows of some interest to me and only a handful of episodes for each. They have a few specials and a movie oce in a great while, but that is it. As far as programming to watch, they are both a waste of money.
Old 06-24-2021, 09:43 AM   #54
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
2020? Isn't this 2021?

It's still listed as coming soon. I'm looking forward to it when it finally does hit the screen, that and the Tolkien series on Prime that is suppose to finally come out in the fall.
Yes, it is 2021. I saw an ad for Foundation on the Apple channel yesterday, which got me googling.

I'm eager to see the series, but will wait for the next time one of our phones gets upgraded.

Anyone know if Apple plans on releasing any of its series on DVD?
Old 06-24-2021, 10:32 AM   #55
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yep, last year they promised the Apple TV+ programming coming soon. I bought an iPad or an ATV 4K or something which qualified me for a free year of TV+. It finally ends in mid July 2021. I'm not going to keep the subscription though. TV+ is not for me. I've tried finding something to watch other than a movie or two which they added because of the COVID-19 quarantines and closed theaters. None of their series were that interesting to me nor written for my age group.

TV+ is just another Prime Video wherein they show you tons of shows but when you click on them you discover you have to pay to buy or rent them, or you have to buy a separate subscription. TV+ and Prime Video are both pretty much worthless, except with my Amazon Prime subscription I do get other perks. If I add TV+ and Prime Video together, there are perhaps 6 shows of some interest to me and only a handful of episodes for each. They have a few specials and a movie oce in a great while, but that is it. As far as programming to watch, they are both a waste of money.
Actually, most of what you are talking about isn't Apple content, but content provided by other providers such as HBO. Basically, they are trying to get you to subscribe to those other channels.

From the beginning, Jobs's vision of AppleTV was that it was going to be a hub for all your viewing content, kind of like Tivo. I see a lot of value to being able to simply say "I want to watch Yellowstone" without having to worry about what channel it's on, or what service has it (Paramount+ in this particular case). The problem is that each service wants you to subscribe to them and all those subscriptions add up. It's too bad really, but much of the TV/streaming world is still caught in the "I want the Whole Pie" mindset rather than working together and sharing the money. Still, I do subscribe to Disney+ and the notices of new drops of shows that I watch is pretty nice.
Old 06-24-2021, 10:41 AM   #56
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yes, it is 2021. I saw an ad for Foundation on the Apple channel yesterday, which got me googling.

I'm eager to see the series, but will wait for the next time one of our phones gets upgraded.

Anyone know if Apple plans on releasing any of its series on DVD?
Perhaps eventually.

Apple is a bit like Prime for me. I've got iCloud and Apple music already, so getting the individual bundle is actually cheaper than those two separate subscriptions. I've got the premier subscription right now, trying out the health/workout subscription during the summer. I'll decide if I want to keep it in a month or two. At a minimum, I'll keep the individual bundle.
Old 06-24-2021, 11:49 AM   #57
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Actually, most of what you are talking about isn't Apple content, but content provided by other providers such as HBO. Basically, they are trying to get you to subscribe to those other channels.

From the beginning, Jobs's vision of AppleTV was that it was going to be a hub for all your viewing content, kind of like Tivo. I see a lot of value to being able to simply say "I want to watch Yellowstone" without having to worry about what channel it's on, or what service has it (Paramount+ in this particular case). The problem is that each service wants you to subscribe to them and all those subscriptions add up. It's too bad really, but much of the TV/streaming world is still caught in the "I want the Whole Pie" mindset rather than working together and sharing the money. Still, I do subscribe to Disney+ and the notices of new drops of shows that I watch is pretty nice.
You are being Captain Obvious. Only a total moron wouldn't understand that the for rent/buy content is mostly 3rd party content, unless you are on Disney which owns half of it already. Duh. And that is the problem I’m having, the 3rd party content is okay but pricey, and the Apple original content is for people two generations younger than me. I'm sure it is good for the Millennials, but for us old guys, well not so much.

Also I’m referring to the Apple TV+ service, not just the Apple TV box. With or without the Apple TV+ service, the Apple TV box will do just what the Fire TV devices do, shove lots of expensive 3rd party content in our faces. So much so, that it is often difficult to cut through all that crap advertising to quickly find what you paused a few days prior, or locate something that is free and watchable. Apple, Roku, Amazon, Android TV, etc. all try to guess what you want to watch then try to give you an enema with it. I hate that, especially since none of them have a clue what I want to watch. Their guesses are more often wrong than right. I wish they would stop it, but they won’t as they make too much money for advertisements. Personally, I’m well aware what shows are on what service, I don’t need Apple or Amazon to hold my hand and walk me over to the correct channel while taking a detour down Advertisement Hell alley. And their search features are nearly totally advertisement based, and often make suggestions that even Kevin Bacon can't figure out how they are connected to what you searched for.
Old 06-24-2021, 03:06 PM   #58
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
It’s no different on other platforms, but the main issue is that the various streaming services (Netflix being the biggest offender) who don’t want to share their catalog and integrate with the platform Search and Up Next features. So you still have to go to multiple apps to keep up with your interests.

I think AppleTV+ content is pretty decent, and would watch more of what is on offer, but my wife is in a mode where she cannot tolerate things that are too edgy.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 08:28 AM   #59
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
You are being Captain Obvious. Only a total moron wouldn't understand that the for rent/buy content is mostly 3rd party content, unless you are on Disney which owns half of it already. Duh. And that is the problem I’m having, the 3rd party content is okay but pricey, and the Apple original content is for people two generations younger than me. I'm sure it is good for the Millennials, but for us old guys, well not so much.

Also I’m referring to the Apple TV+ service, not just the Apple TV box. With or without the Apple TV+ service, the Apple TV box will do just what the Fire TV devices do, shove lots of expensive 3rd party content in our faces. So much so, that it is often difficult to cut through all that crap advertising to quickly find what you paused a few days prior, or locate something that is free and watchable. Apple, Roku, Amazon, Android TV, etc. all try to guess what you want to watch then try to give you an enema with it. I hate that, especially since none of them have a clue what I want to watch. Their guesses are more often wrong than right. I wish they would stop it, but they won’t as they make too much money for advertisements. Personally, I’m well aware what shows are on what service, I don’t need Apple or Amazon to hold my hand and walk me over to the correct channel while taking a detour down Advertisement Hell alley. And their search features are nearly totally advertisement based, and often make suggestions that even Kevin Bacon can't figure out how they are connected to what you searched for.
Better to be Captain Obvious than Captain Oblivious!

I'm referring to the Apple TV+ service rather than the box as well. I don't disagree with what you say as to where it's at right now, I was commenting on the original vision behind the idea.

You would think that Apple with all that data about movies I've purchased or watched and Amazon with all that data about books that I've bought would make good recommendations, but that's not the game. At one time, Amazon was actually pretty good about recommending books I might like, but now it's all about pimping authors who pay them to do so with no regard to if it might be something I like. At least Amazon Prime Video lets me filer on movies included in Prime. It is annoying to bring up a movie and find it cost $3 to watch.

I believe that Apple only has a very small catalogue of shows and movies that they actually produce. Everything else is from some other service. It would be nice if there was an option to only see shows and movies from a service you subscribe to.
Old 06-25-2021, 10:26 AM   #60
John F
Grand Sorcerer

I think Amazon may be getting better. I just tried a search and typed in "free john wayne movies" with my FireTV, and the first line it returned was "from your subscriptions" and they were free movies from subscribed services (prime, tubi, netflix, ...). The early ones in the list were john wayne movies, I'm not sure why it picked some of the later ones, I would guess they were matching "john". The netflix match was a keith richard documentary.

And for the morons with an alexa device*, maybe try doing an Alexa search vs going to find and typing something in.

*I am not impling that one is a moron for owning an alexa device.