Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-22-2021, 01:19 PM   #31
tomsem
Wizard
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, Kindle Paperwhite, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Glucose is very, very, very unlikely. Current estimates are it will be years still before that feature can make it to the Apple Watch ($399 minimum for latest model). I doubt a firmware update could add it to $179 AirPods.
I believe this is what I meant by ‘far-fetched’.

But state of the art glucose monitoring appears to be attaching a sensor with a needle in it every couple of weeks. A lot better than pricking fingers every few hours for a drop of blood, but requires a prescription and requires some discipline. And you would need a diagnosis, etc. Many people have blood sugar issues but do not seek treatment.

Something that could provide reasonable estimate of blood sugar could help people identify potential health issues.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 02:29 PM   #32
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone XR, iPad mini 5, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Where I live, it requires a prescription to even get the finger pricking supplies. So yes, if an Apple Watch could some day do it without having to go through a doctor, more people would be alerted to blood sugar issues.

As far as the Apple Watch goes with the elderly, well it isn’t designed for people with poor vision. Diabetes can also screw up vision for non-elderly people too. So at the very least, perhaps Apple could take that into consideration and give an option for a different interface for people with poor vision. Also, I personally don’t want to fish through gobs of useless (to me) fitness options and reports. I would like to completely turn off the fitness stuff I don’t need and easily and quickly interface with the health information I do need. I don’t have an Apple Watch, but my Garmin fitness watch is cluttered with fitness stuff and I have to search for the useful health information. Very frustrating, so I rarely wear it any more.

It would be nice to have the medical diagnosis gizmo Dr. McCoy had on Star Trek.

Last edited by OtinG; 10-22-2021 at 02:38 PM.
OtinG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 02:53 PM   #33
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
Where I live, it requires a prescription to even get the finger pricking supplies. ...
That surprises me a little. I assumed you live in the U.S., and I didn't think there were local laws governing this. I've ordered finger pricks through Amazon, and I live in the U.S. (CT). Having insurance pay for it may be a different matter.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 03:40 PM   #34
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
That surprises me a little. I assumed you live in the U.S., and I didn't think there were local laws governing this. I've ordered finger pricks through Amazon, and I live in the U.S. (CT). Having insurance pay for it may be a different matter.
I live in Texas and I think the state is the entity that requires this. They are still living in the dark ages here…
Old 10-22-2021, 03:45 PM   #35
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I live in Texas and I think the state is the entity that requires this. They are still living in the dark ages here…
Ah Texas, that explains a lot.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 03:55 PM   #36
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 9.7, iPad 10.5, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Where I live, it requires a prescription to even get the finger pricking supplies. So yes, if an Apple Watch could some day do it without having to go through a doctor, more people would be alerted to blood sugar issues.

As far as the Apple Watch goes with the elderly, well it isn’t designed for people with poor vision. Diabetes can also screw up vision for non-elderly people too. So at the very least, perhaps Apple could take that into consideration and give an option for a different interface for people with poor vision. Also, I personally don’t want to fish through gobs of useless (to me) fitness options and reports. I would like to completely turn off the fitness stuff I don’t need and easily and quickly interface with the health information I do need. I don’t have an Apple Watch, but my Garmin fitness watch is cluttered with fitness stuff and I have to search for the useful health information. Very frustrating, so I rarely wear it any more.

It would be nice to have the medical diagnosis gizmo Dr. McCoy had on Star Trek.
You can customize clock faces on the Apple Watch. I have mine set to show time, date, battery, weather and pulse rate. If you don't want the AW to show exercise/fitness stuff, that's perfectly doable.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 04:00 PM   #37
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Well I was told by the nurse who does the post office visit final wrap up at my doctor’s office that I needed a prescription. I had asked her if I did and she said yes and that they would send it to my pharmacy. However, I just attempted to look that up on the internet but couldn’t find a definitive answer, so it might not be the case. The supplies are not cheap, so the nurse might have been referring to whether insurance would cover the costs. In Texas you do have to have a prescription to get medical insurance to pay for certain supplies, but that might be an insurance thing rather than a state requirement, but Texas will always side on the side of Big Insurance, so if insurance wants a prescription, then they can get away with requiring it. Texas is notorious for requiring prescriptions for a lot of so-called medical devices that should not require them IMO. Again, because Big Insurance says “jump” and the politicians say “how high”.
Old 10-22-2021, 04:10 PM   #38
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
You can customize clock faces on the Apple Watch. I have mine set to show time, date, battery, weather and pulse rate. If you don't want the AW to show exercise/fitness stuff, that's perfectly doable.
That is good to know. I figured Apple would be more inclined to do that than Fitbit, Garmin, and others who emphasize the fitness portion and only offer a little bit in the health category.

Do you have to pay for a monthly fitness/health monitoring service with Apple Watch? I notice that Amazon pushes a paid service with their fitness band, but it isn’t required to get basic health information. Garmin doesn’t require it either for basic health information, but they don’t really monitor much other than pulse and sleep time.
Old 10-22-2021, 04:43 PM   #39
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 9.7, iPad 10.5, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Well I was told by the nurse who does the post office visit final wrap up at my doctor’s office that I needed a prescription. I had asked her if I did and she said yes and that they would send it to my pharmacy. However, I just attempted to look that up on the internet but couldn’t find a definitive answer, so it might not be the case. The supplies are not cheap, so the nurse might have been referring to whether insurance would cover the costs. In Texas you do have to have a prescription to get medical insurance to pay for certain supplies, but that might be an insurance thing rather than a state requirement, but Texas will always side on the side of Big Insurance, so if insurance wants a prescription, then they can get away with requiring it. Texas is notorious for requiring prescriptions for a lot of so-called medical devices that should not require them IMO. Again, because Big Insurance says “jump” and the politicians say “how high”.
I think it's just standard for insurance to require prescriptions for drugs and medical devices before they'll cover those.

My co-pay is $0 for diabetic testing supplies (OneTouch Verio brand only). I remember checking online and it was like $1 per strip so pretty expensive out of pocket when doing 2 or more finger pricks per day. Heck, even just once a day fasting blood sugar testing would be $360 a year.

The older Verio meters didn't pass the DTS test though.

https://diatribe.org/are-blood-gluco...data-18-meters

Hence, I bought a Contour Next out of pocket for occasional spot checking.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06W53ZLTK/
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CF8C4VX/

Quote:
That is good to know. I figured Apple would be more inclined to do that than Fitbit, Garmin, and others who emphasize the fitness portion and only offer a little bit in the health category.

Do you have to pay for a monthly fitness/health monitoring service with Apple Watch? I notice that Amazon pushes a paid service with their fitness band, but it isn’t required to get basic health information. Garmin doesn’t require it either for basic health information, but they don’t really monitor much other than pulse and sleep time.
There's an Apple Fitness+ subscription for workouts. However, basic health data (pedometer, pulse, O2 sat, EKG, etc) are on-device features and don't require any subscriptions.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 10-22-2021 at 04:50 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 10:57 AM   #40
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Thanks for the info.

Thankfully my insurance company also has a $0 copay for testing supplies as well. I did find a statement from the state showing that insurance companies had been ordered to provide insurance for the testing supplies with a maximum $25 copay allowed. So once in a while Texas does the right thing.

I'm glad there is no extra service fee required for the health feature on the Apple Watch. I don't need the fitness stuff because at my age I’m just happy to wake up on the sunny side of the grass! I'll leave the fitness stuff to the Peloton devotees.
Old 10-23-2021, 03:14 PM   #41
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Comparison Chart of M1 Macs

I’m thinking about getting a new Mac after the first of the year, so I’ve been spending a little time going over the specs of the M1 and M1X models. I put together a brief spreadsheet to compare various models with similar options. I decided to equip them with an M1 processor, 8 core CPU, 8 core GPU, 16 core neural engine, 16 GB RAM, and 512 GB SSD. The one exception is the new MacBook Pro 14” which has an M1X Pro processor and a 14 core GPU. They are equipped thusly to make them more capable of doing photo and video editing and post processing on what I’ll call an enthusiasts level—not quite professional but well beyond what is done for social media posting. They are still rather entry level though as that is more in line with what I can afford.

At any rate, the attached image shows the spreadsheet chart. I’m leaning toward the Mac mini as I already have a good monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc. I thought I would post this in case anyone wants to take a quick look at the price range between similarly equipped Mac models.

….
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9CE91230-058A-4571-A374-C23A1525C78C.jpeg
Views:	116
Size:	570.1 KB
ID:	189791  

Last edited by OtinG; 10-23-2021 at 03:16 PM.
Old 10-23-2021, 07:44 PM   #42
tomsem
Wizard
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Apple Watch supports VoiceOver so you can use sound to help navigate. There is also a Zoom feature, and you can Bold text.

Zoom as the name implies, doubles the size of everything and you use the Digital Crown to pan around.
Old Yesterday, 03:06 PM   #43
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

That is good to know. I’ll probably wait until next year’s update to see what new features they add for health.

This coming year I’m going to focus on getting a more modern Mac as my two antiques (mini 2012 and MBP 2014) are getting old and borderline for running the current crop of photo and video editing apps. I briefly thought about just getting a used Mac from Apple because they come with a warranty, but since Apple is moving rapidly to antiquate all the Intel chipped Macs I think I should buy a M1 or better Mac.

I tend to keep Macs for many years. My two antiques were bought new so I’ve had them for 7 and 9 years. I want the next one to be useful for many years as well. My two antiques are still very useful and good computers for most tasks though, so they will be repurposed. I already use the mini 2012 almost exclusively to control and view my security cams and it does a great job with that chore. I think it has been turned ON and running constantly for at least the last 6 years, except for occasional power outages and FW updates. The MacBook Pro 15” is still going strong too. Never a bit of trouble from either.
Old Today, 02:02 AM   #44
tomsem
Wizard

My 2009 MacBook Pro 13” still works great (replaced battery, fan, installed SSD). But no longer gets updates, and won’t run latest versions of some software.

Ironically, I have not been able to find any cable or adapter that can let me connect a FireWire HDV camera to our newer Macs. I have some old HDV tapes that I want to back up and it looks like the easiest way will be to use the MacBook (or an equally ancient Windows box).
Old Today, 10:47 AM   #45
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

I still have a a few really old Western Digital 3.5" HDD with files on them, so I had to find a device to be able to plug them in to my Macs via a USB connection. See attached. They came out of the last few Windows computers I had built back in the early 2000s.

From 1982 through mid 1990s I had Apple II+ and Macs at home, but in the 1990s Apple lost its way so I switched to Windows PCs. The Mac OS of 1990s was dated and nearly useless. I worked in the software industry and at work we mostly used Windows PCs or Linux, so it made sense on that level too. Trouble was, Windows PCs were always breaking down in those days. They were easy to fix though as I could swap out parts. I stayed away from Macs until I bought my Mac mini 2012. I must say that the Macs I've owned since then have been rock solid and never break down. But as you mentioned, they are getting close to obsolescence and I really need to get a new one.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	old-HDDs.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	424.3 KB
ID:	189816  

Last edited by OtinG; Today at 10:50 AM.