Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-13-2021, 08:34 AM   #1
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Apple Event October 18, 2021

So what will they be announcing? Maybe an ereader to compete with the new Kindles and Kobos.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 02:07 PM   #2
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
If you asked people at Apple about an ereader, they'd steer you to an iPad mini or an iPhone 13 Pro Max. However, if Apple ever decided to offer an E-Ink reader that was similar to the Android E-Ink devices that Onyx or Boyue offer, I'd get one as soon as I could!

I'd bet that one announcement will be the official launch date of macOS Monterey. They could have some Macs with upgraded M1 chips ready to go. Perhaps a new iPad Pro? We shall see!
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 02:10 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
So what will they be announcing? Maybe an ereader to compete with the new Kindles and Kobos.
Yes, highly likely.

Supposed to be new MacBooks (M1X chip) and maybe some other things (new AirPods?)
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 09:47 PM   #4
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
New MacBook Pros I'm guessing
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 08:48 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My perennial wish: AppleTV soundbar (with the whole HomePod adjust to the room experience)
Old 10-15-2021, 06:00 AM   #6
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
My perennial wish: AppleTV soundbar (with the whole HomePod adjust to the room experience)
There are soundbars out there that correct for the room now. No need to wait. See rtings.com:

https://www.rtings.com/soundbar/test...ement-features
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 05:05 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
There are soundbars out there that correct for the room now. No need to wait. See rtings.com:

https://www.rtings.com/soundbar/test...ement-features
Good to know, I’m not really shopping for one right now.
Old 10-18-2021, 01:12 PM   #8
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
[SARCASM] Woohoo, a couple new colors for the HomePod mini! That will really improve them! [/SARCASM]

Not even what I would call an incremental update…

Last edited by OtinG; 10-18-2021 at 01:15 PM.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 02:22 PM   #9
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
[SARCASM] Woohoo, a couple new colors for the HomePod mini! That will really improve them! [/SARCASM]

Not even what I would call an incremental update…
Rather disappointing. The two new Macbook Pros are nice, but I was hoping for a new desktop.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 02:37 PM   #10
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Rather disappointing. The two new Macbook Pros are nice, but I was hoping for a new desktop.
I agree, the two new MacBook Pros look really good, but we will need to wait for “real world testing” to know for sure. I was hoping for an M2 Mac mini, or at least an incrementally updated M1 model. The MacBook Pros are way out of my price range now that I’m retired, as are the iMacs.

Other than the new MacBook Pros, it looks like only a new and perhaps decent priced Apple Music Voice subscription, AirPods 3, 2 or 3 new colors for the HomePod mini, and that was it. So business as usual at Apple…

I guess I’ll wait until after the new year to see how the current crop of M1 Mac minis do with the newest macOS and decide whether to get one of those, or perhaps go with a Windows PC if I have to. My 2012 Mac mini and 2014 MacBook Pro are just too old to keep up with modern photo and video profession style editing apps. I really prefer to stick with a Mac though.
Old 10-18-2021, 02:48 PM   #11
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
If you asked people at Apple about an ereader, they'd steer you to an iPad mini or an iPhone 13 Pro Max. However, if Apple ever decided to offer an E-Ink reader that was similar to the Android E-Ink devices that Onyx or Boyue offer, I'd get one as soon as I could!

I'd bet that one announcement will be the official launch date of macOS Monterey. They could have some Macs with upgraded M1 chips ready to go. Perhaps a new iPad Pro? We shall see!
I think we can safely put away any hopes that Apple will ever offer an eInk reader. They have shown zero interest in that for well over a decade now.

The iPad mini 5 is the best indoor ereader I’ve ever had, but of course sucks outdoors in the daylight. Personally I think the latest iPad mini 6 will be terrible at reading due to the greatly decreased bezel. I have an iPad Air 2020 with the same kind of small bezel, and it is really tough to keep my thumb from touching the screen and causing unwanted actions to occur. If they would have left a bigger bezel at the bottom of the iPad mini 6 along with the Start button, and just decreased the other three bezel sides, then that would have been nice. But as is, I’m not tempted to get the new iPad mini 6, especially since my iPad mini 5 is still in great shape with a good battery. An ereader without a thumb rest is a deal breaker for me.
Old 10-18-2021, 03:00 PM   #12
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Wow, the bitching in the forums like MacRumors over the camera notch is unbelievable! Heck they placed the notch in the middle of the Menu bar which is totally blank of anything, so other than a pure aesthetic difference it isn’t a big deal IMO. I personally don’t like the notch on my iPhone XR but that is because I would prefer more information to be displayed over taking photos of myself. However, on the huge MacBook Pro screen it doesn’t take up enough space to be an issue.
Old 10-18-2021, 03:25 PM   #13
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
One of the better events in a while; they've updated airpods. Who cares about Apple computers and i
Pads.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 03:41 PM   #14
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

I’m not in the market for a new Mac, or HomePods, so not that much of interest to me.

My AirPods Pro are working, but I need to replace one of them due to some water damage, the microphone on it is not working properly and hence Noise Cancellation/Transparency has some extra noise on that side (so I turn it off, and it sounds fine). I have AppleCare+ but the replacement cost was going to be 250% of what it was the last time I replaced one, and they couldn’t explain why. So I’ll try again at some point, most likely they didn’t enter something correctly or were having some system glitch. I do appreciate the noise cancelling (when operating mower, at gym where crappy music is playing, etc) so I would like to get it squared away.

That said, they don’t sound as good as my wired Rayz earbuds (which being wired can also play CD quality lossless), so I have some interest in the new AirPods, which apparently have better sound, better time between charges, and water resistance. But surely new AirPods Pro will be out next year with these improvements.

I’d love to have AirPods Max, but might as well wait for next gen, hopefully they’ll have a better concept for the case so it doesn’t take so much space. I don’t do a lot of headphone listening so it is a low priority.

Voice-control only Apple Music sounds like a nightmare to me, or at least very limiting. Siri does pretty well with playlist requests, or Artist ‘radio stations’, but let’s say you want a particular performance of classical music and cannot supply the right words to request it. In practice I just like to dial it up in the Music app, which apparently you won’t be able to do with the $5 subscription.

They didn’t say when macOS 12 is shipping?
Old 10-18-2021, 03:58 PM   #15
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

They just released the Monterey RC today, so I assume next week it could get officially released.

I haven’t kept up with it that much though since I don’t even have a Mac new enough to install it on.

Didn’t they raise the AirPods 3 price about $20 over that of the AirPods 2 when they were released? Seems like $180 is rather steep for the non-pro model. I paid about half that for my Echo Buds 2 that are at least as good as the AirPods 3.

Read that the fully loaded MacBook Pro 16” with M1 Max will cost $6100! Ouch! The MacBook Pro 14” with M1 Pro starts at $2000.

Last edited by OtinG; 10-18-2021 at 04:15 PM.