Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-18-2008, 04:08 AM   #16
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
thank you all for the quick replies!

Concerning my last question: Can I sort books in subdirectories (like Science Fiction, Biographies, Science, etc...); or are there pre-defined subdirectories to put the books in? or just place them on the root of the disk?

sorry for the many questions.. I'm on the virge of getting a 505 or 700,depending on if I find the extra $100 of the 700 justified enough...
So,I'm kind of excited already

You can create your own categories -- the device doesn't come with any pre-installed. Well, I should say that the 500 didn't come with any categories already created. I don't know about the 505.

I bit the bullet and pre-ordered the 700 yesterday. I applied for the SonyCard at the same time and put the 700 on it as the first charge, which makes it eligible for a $150 credit, which means the 700 should cost me only $250, a lower price than most places have the 505 listed at.

I'm moving up from the 500, and the thing which tipped me towards the 700 is the built-in light. I had been about to order the 505 and buy the cover-with-lightwedge also, but that makes the 505 cost between $320 and $370 (depending on whether you trust the places which list the 505 at $250), so the extra cost of the 700 isn't that much.

Of course, I may regret it, but I have gotten tired of holding my 500 with a reading light on it and would like a device which is easy to carry with me and which can actually be read anywhere, not just where there is light.

It'll be interesting to see what is developed to take advantage of the new touch screen and the annotation features.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 11:00 AM   #17
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
If I create my own directories and categories, I read the reader won't display them in the same manner as my folders. Meaning there's no folder view.
So apart from categorizing, there is not much benefit for creating the folders, since the reader still will display all the books on one pile; tell me if I'm wrong ..

Talking about that Sony card,there must be a drawback, no?

I mean,maybe it asks for a high interest rate,or maybe you're paying $20 per year to keep the card.
or maybe Sony expects you to buy multiple items,otherwise it won't benefit you?

I mean, where's the catch?

Last edited by ProDigit; 10-18-2008 at 11:33 AM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2008, 11:04 AM   #18
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Imean, where's the catch?
Why are we so paranoid in this world? It is a promotion... the bank feels that the credit is worth it to entice people to get and use the card. I've actually read in other threads where people have canceled the card the month after they got the credit with no repercussions.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 12:58 PM   #19
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
ProDigit--There isn't really a catch to applying for the Sony Card. As far as I know there is no annual charge (I have one and don't get an annual fee.) Also, although the interest rate is a little high, they only charge interest if you don't pay your bill off every month.

And as Bob said, it's pretty easy to cancel right after you get your reader.

In fact, I used the rewards points I'd accumulated on my Sony Card to completely pay for my 505. (I've had the card for a while.)

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 04:27 PM   #20
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
So you're able to pay at once as well?
I mean, there's no need for a $25 price reduction, if you end up paying it anyways on interest...
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2008, 04:57 AM   #21
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Quote:
So you're able to pay at once as well?
I mean, there's no need for a $25 price reduction, if you end up paying it anyways on interest...
If you pay it off before the 30 days, there is no interest charge at all. So using the card to charge the new reader, the promotion gives $150 credit towards the first purchase over $299. Paying it off immediately leaves no interest charges at all, so there isn't any offset at all. It's a terrific way to get a bargain!

I don't plan on using the card again -- unless they give me a promotional discount again. Just use it this once and pay it off immediately and wait and see if I wish to keep the card or cancel it in a couple of months.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lrf, psr-505