Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-09-2018, 07:07 PM   #1
Mentolathum
Mentolathum is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Mentolathum is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Mentolathum is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Mentolathum is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Mentolathum is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Mentolathum is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Mentolathum is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Mentolathum is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Mentolathum is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Mentolathum is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Mentolathum is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle Basic
Kindle Basic Stuck in DIAGS

Hello everyone.

I managed to leave my basic kindle in Diagnostic mode, and I do not know how to restart it in normal mode.

* Can someone give me instructions to start in normal mode?

It is an 8th generation basic kindle with the initial firmware 5.8.0, to which I manually installed the rescuepack "Update_rp_20131220.N_install.bin"

Thank you
Mentolathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:14 AM   #2
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Send the below commands via usbNetwork:
Code:
idme -d --bootmode main 
reboot
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2018, 05:58 AM   #3
Mentolathum
Mentolathum is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Mentolathum is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Mentolathum is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Mentolathum is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Mentolathum is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Mentolathum is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Mentolathum is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Mentolathum is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Mentolathum is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Mentolathum is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Mentolathum is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
Send the below commands via usbNetwork:
Code:
idme -d --bootmode main 
reboot
the ssh server does not start when the Kindle is started, I attach the diagnostic screen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3004.jpg
Views:	719
Size:	481.7 KB
ID:	161415  
Old 01-10-2018, 08:19 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
"Reboot or Disable Diags"
You might have to search the forum or use the master index to learn how to use it.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:45 PM   #5
Mentolathum

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
"Reboot or Disable Diags"
You might have to search the forum or use the master index to learn how to use it.
Hello, inside "Reboot or Disable Diags" only options are:
  • Delete test logs
  • Fastboot mode
  • Rebbot system
  • Shipping mode

the option to disable diagnostics is missing.

I read some threads of the forum about DIAGS and Debricking, but I have not been able to solve it.

Any ideas?

PD:
This did not work (https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Touch_Hacking#Exiting_Diags_Mode)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3005.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	250.0 KB
ID:	161424  

Last edited by Mentolathum; 01-10-2018 at 07:07 PM.
Advert
Old 01-10-2018, 08:12 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Have you tried the Rebbot choice? I think there is another menu level there.
OR
Put it in fastboot mode and then use fastboot from a PC to reset the bootmode value you changed.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:28 PM   #7
Mentolathum

Quote:
Have you tried the Rebbot choice? I think there is another menu level there.
OR
Put it in fastboot mode and then use fastboot from a PC to reset the bootmode value you changed.
Yes, I tried the Reboot option, the kindle restarts in diagnostic mode again.

The Fastboot mode option leaves the kindle stuck, showing the message "Reboot and enter fastboot mode", but does not restart.

I think a paperweight was born.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3006.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	253.4 KB
ID:	161425  
Old 01-10-2018, 08:54 PM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentolathum View Post
- - - -
The Fastboot mode option leaves the kindle stuck, showing the message "Reboot and enter fastboot mode", but does not restart.
- - - -
It is not stuck.
Kindle in fastboot mode does not have any visible on-screen feedback.

Use the Kindle-specific version of fastboot (available on this forum).
Also, the directions of the Kindle PC fastboot has built-in help.
Plus, there are numerous examples of its use posted here.

It is not a Paperweight -
It is just in "educate the fool trying to change things" mode.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:31 PM   #9
Mentolathum

Quote:
It is just in "educate the fool trying to change things" mode.
Thank you for your patience

I'm still looking for a cure for my nonsense.

I put the kindle in fastboot mode, then execute:

Code:
fastboot setvar bootmode main
I get:
Code:
< waiting for device >
nothing happens.

Then I try:

Code:
fastboot -s G000K9XXXXXXX setvar bootmode main

I have tried with the serial number of the kindle, PCBSN, FSN from Device_info.txt generated by the diagnostic utility

fastboot is executed as root on mac os high sierra 10.13.2

I've tried with the forum binary and compiled it from here (Yifanlu Git)

Thanks again
Old 01-11-2018, 01:16 AM   #10
theol0403
Enthusiast
theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle PW3
This also happened to me. I was stuck in diags and I couldn't exit and didn't have ssh or to so I copied geekmasters data.tar.gz https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=169645
and his sample runme to the userstore
after 2 reboots to se if the runme worked(one to install the data and one to run the runme), I removed the runme.done and replaced the contents of the runme with "idme -d --bootmode main; reboot"
theol0403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:58 AM   #11
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by theol0403 View Post
This also happened to me. I was stuck in diags and I couldn't exit and didn't have ssh or to so I copied geekmasters data.tar.gz https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=169645
and his sample runme to the userstore
after 2 reboots to se if the runme worked(one to install the data and one to run the runme), I removed the runme.done and replaced the contents of the runme with "idme -d --bootmode main; reboot"
PS: You have to use the "USB device mode" entry of the menu to export the USB storage.
PS2: Bad link, you copied the visible, contraction of the URL, not the full URL.
But not a show stopper, it isn't hard to invent the URL to a specific thread id here.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=169645

# 1 55 55

Last edited by knc1; 01-11-2018 at 09:04 AM.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:32 AM   #12
Mentolathum

Hello again, I managed to solve it thanks to the suggestion of theol0403.

Many thanks to both (theol0403 and knc1).

It was necessary to try a couple of times (the first one did not work) but finally it did.

Thank you very much.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:16 AM   #13
theol0403
Enthusiast
theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle PW3
No problem, glad to see it worked. The reason it took multiple tries was because it takes one reboot for the data.tar.gz to extract and another for the runme to run.
Sorry for the bad link. I am using my Kindle to write these after all 😁. Don't have a phone yet since I'm 14, so been using my Kindle for everything.
theol0403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 01:59 PM   #14
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentolathum View Post
Thank you for your patience

I'm still looking for a cure for my nonsense.

I put the kindle in fastboot mode, then execute:

Code:
fastboot setvar bootmode main
I get:
Code:
< waiting for device >
nothing happens.

Then I try:

Code:
fastboot -s G000K9XXXXXXX setvar bootmode main
I have tried with the serial number of the kindle, PCBSN, FSN from Device_info.txt generated by the diagnostic utility

fastboot is executed as root on mac os high sierra 10.13.2

I've tried with the forum binary and compiled it from here (Yifanlu Git)

Thanks again
Somewhere here, within the past few days, someone posted a fragment of the boot-up messages -
There, fastboot mode was mentioned as having mmc1 as the root device.
Customer Kindles do not have an mmc1 device, only the Amazon/Lab126 development boards have an mmc1 device.

Tags
kt3