Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-08-2013, 03:37 PM   #16
mmatej
Connoisseur
mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
No, it's not missing. Copying the pubdevkey01.pem there (from a booted diags) works, and you can install usbnet using the update.bin afterwards.
Yes, it's missing.... in the diags partition
I totally forgot to mount p1...
mmatej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:50 PM   #17
pirl8
Pest
pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KT, PW3
The positive thing is that it looks like the Kindle Touch won't be abandoned by Amazon, after all... The negative is that they want to prevent users from getting all the benefits of the excellent software developed here...
pirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2013, 03:56 PM   #18
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirl8 View Post
The negative is that they want to prevent users from getting all the benefits of the excellent software developed here...
You really think they care one way or the other?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:02 PM   #19
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
You really think they care one way or the other?
Yes, they do. They care to close all the jailbreak vectors - even the ones which aren't security threats in any way - , and they care enough to re-obfuscate their code in worse and worse ways with every version.

Where did they get to know about the jailbreak vectors in the first place? Whom are they directly attacking by willingly rendering all our previous efforts useless again and again? Do you have any other explanation for these measures except for a huge "FUCK YOU, developers"?
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:15 PM   #20
MarvinO
MarvinO is generous with chocolateMarvinO is generous with chocolateMarvinO is generous with chocolateMarvinO is generous with chocolateMarvinO is generous with chocolateMarvinO is generous with chocolateMarvinO is generous with chocolateMarvinO is generous with chocolateMarvinO is generous with chocolateMarvinO is generous with chocolateMarvinO is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle Touch
Well, bit the bullet, uninstalled jbpatch and updated my touch. It seems quite snappy with all the new stuff. As the files show the fonts are still the same as 5.1.x ones. But luckily the /font and ;fc-cache still works to replace the internal Caecilia font with new ones without any file replacement on the device (verified by before-after screenshot and my eyes ).

Edit: PDF viewing and scrolling while zoomed seems to have improved a lot.

Last edited by MarvinO; 01-08-2013 at 04:27 PM.
MarvinO is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2013, 05:31 PM   #21
pirl8
Pest
pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Do you have any other explanation for these measures
Maybe they're simply planning to sell enhancements like those you made. I guess that mainsream users would pay for hyphenation, margin resize, multiple dictionary lookup and all the other patches you created.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:21 PM   #22
sucah
Connoisseur
sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK 3G, KT 3G, KPW, Odyssey HD, T1, 350, Glo, Mini, Aura HD, KPW2 3G
Have updated to 5.3.2, try to add fonts like Paperwhite

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...23&postcount=8

and everyting is fine. Mine not yet jailbroken, wait for ixtab next move on this Touch OS.
sucah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:41 AM   #23
leonardo84
leonardo84 plays well with othersleonardo84 plays well with othersleonardo84 plays well with othersleonardo84 plays well with othersleonardo84 plays well with othersleonardo84 plays well with othersleonardo84 plays well with othersleonardo84 plays well with othersleonardo84 plays well with othersleonardo84 plays well with othersleonardo84 plays well with others

Device: Kindle Touch
Thumbs up

i've upgraded to 5.3.2, found it amazing... the search is really improved, the old one was just awful... but the thing i'm really, REALLY missing is the modified margins... i had lot less margins in previous configuration and really get used to read that way. The experience isnt the same

i'm no developer but i hope the amazing devs we got here will get to break the new firm
leonardo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:47 AM   #24
baf
Evangelist
baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kt
At least the update does not remove usbnet.
I upgraded without removing it and I can connect via ssh.
baf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:53 AM   #25
miguelos
Enthusiast
miguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toys

Device: K3-3G, KT SO
what should I disable before upgrading ?
I have jailbreak + usbnet (iptables opened for ssh over wifi) + jbatch
(+ changed one shortcut, ie. one market is shortcut to browser - found it somewhere here)
miguelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:58 AM   #26
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Try it, and report back.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:07 AM   #27
Dylan Tomorrow
Connoisseur
Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Android smartphone w/ FBReader
[edit] YESSS!

This has literally all the features I wanted! Even whispersync for voice, which I never thought would happen. And official cover view. And progress indicators there. And Time-to-Read . And and and!

(Hopefully they also made the framework way less buggy and prone to crashes/half-loading. Thank god for USBNet!)

UI looks great .

Of course I will wait till the jailbreak devs had a look as I've grown rather fond of and dependent on all the JBPatches (especially custom font sizes) and USBNet (because the framework keeps breaking itself ), but I am so stoked for this .

Thank you very much Amazon ! (even if you locked this one down, which the devs can jailbreak anyway ... )

(Seriously guys ... yes, Amazon [edit] over jailbreaks sucks, but I still appreciate this update, alright? I just hope they'll let the last remaining PW jailbreak vector be. Please, Amazon? It would be to everyone's benefit in the long term if you just let the devs do their awesome thing, alright? )

Last edited by dreams; 01-15-2013 at 05:21 AM. Reason: profane language edit - moderator
Dylan Tomorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:13 AM   #28
baf
Evangelist
baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kt
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelos View Post
what should I disable before upgrading ?
I have jailbreak + usbnet (iptables opened for ssh over wifi) + jbatch
(+ changed one shortcut, ie. one market is shortcut to browser - found it somewhere here)
Jailbreak + usbnet is ok. I don't know about jpatch. I had some files modified manually that where preventing the update, as installer checks md5 sums of the files it is going to update. I compared checksums with ota list (attached) and found culprits.
Attached Files
File Type: zip source.md5.zip (36.0 KB, 204 views)
baf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:22 AM   #29
pirl8
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by baf View Post
Jailbreak + usbnet is ok.
Is the device still jailbroken after the upgrade to 5.3.2?

Last edited by pirl8; 01-09-2013 at 06:32 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:31 AM   #30
ixtab
(offline)

It should be. This is an incremental update, so it doesn't touch the jailbreak files. But it might complain about files which were modified by other hacks, and thus refuse to install.