Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-18-2012, 11:14 AM   #31
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
@Mapline; just wait till either Desktop or WiFi offer an upgrade
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:16 AM   #32
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
I just installed Kobo Desktop on a new computer that hasn't had Kobo Desktop on it so far, specifying my existing Kobo account. It downloaded my Kobo bookstore ebooks, downloaded "dictionaries" for a couple of minutes, then downloaded a firmware update. Then I connected my KT (which was on 2.0.0), and it uploaded firmware. After restart, I found the KT was updated to 2.1.4. No sign of 2.1.5.

A few observations about the latest Kobo Desktop from this process:
1. It automatically installs to a fixed folder name on the C: drive without giving any option. I didn't want it on my SSD. Bad Kobo!
2. Configurability hasn't improved: the only program preference setting available is Language
3. It apparently linked to my account successfully, and I saw it downloading my purchased Kobo ebooks by title during initial sync, but the Kobo Desktop Library reports "empty". ??
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2012, 12:13 PM   #33
Big Mack
Enthusiast
Big Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of light

Device: iPod Touch 4; iPhone 4; Kobo Touch; Kobo Glo
As PeterT said, i just waited for my Glo and KT to update on their own either through Wifi sync or computer. Both were updated this morning.
Big Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:23 PM   #34
sjfwhite
Enthusiast
sjfwhite began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Apple iPad Mini 2
My Glo updated via wifi this morning as well once I did a sync.
sjfwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:18 PM   #35
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapline View Post
Hi mconh

Is this download for the KT which I have?
http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...date-2.1.5.zip
A Kobo rep has said that "side loading" updates is not advisable because your particular Kobo may require a firmware other than the one you downloaded. There are several variations of Kobo Touch units on the market, and each one needs a specific firmware which will be automatically downloaded during the normal update process.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2012, 03:10 PM   #36
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdclements View Post
NO. This is not supported for Kobo Glo and will damage your device.
Hm I'm confused now. I thought touch, mini and glo all shared the same firmware?

Or was the link to 2.1.5 that that post was about a version for the "problem" touches?? I thought that was overcome with 2.0.4?
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:33 PM   #37
mdclements
Kobo Developer
mdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Hm I'm confused now. I thought touch, mini and glo all shared the same firmware?

Or was the link to 2.1.5 that that post was about a version for the "problem" touches?? I thought that was overcome with 2.0.4?
They all have the same features (apart from the light) but they do not share the same firmware.
mdclements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:03 PM   #38
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
They all have the same features (apart from the light) but they do not share the same firmware.
Great. So now Kobo, which doesn't have a stellar record for managing a single firmware code base and release cycle, is going to be managing two or three of them?
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:05 PM   #39
mconh
Connoisseur
mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, AuraHD, AuraH20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapline View Post
Hi mconh

Is this download for the KT which I have?
http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...date-2.1.5.zip
Yes, according to this page which you should read. It lists the 2.1.5 files at the bottom.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=185660
mconh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:06 PM   #40
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Does anyone have the revision number (r12345) and date for the 2.1.5 Glo release?
Old 10-18-2012, 05:15 PM   #41
murg
No Comment

Quote:
NO. This is not supported for Kobo Glo and will damage your device.
So, Kobo isn't checking to ensure that the proper firmware is being presented to the device before it just goes ahead and willy-nilly updates the onboard firmware?
Old 10-18-2012, 05:37 PM   #42
MDK
Kobo Developer
MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura, Glo, Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
So, Kobo isn't checking to ensure that the proper firmware is being presented to the device before it just goes ahead and willy-nilly updates the onboard firmware?
Kobo is checking to make sure each device gets the appropriate upgrade package when needed. If the user (you) can't wait and goes willy-nilly then its the user's responsibility for whatever damage that causes.
MDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:13 PM   #43
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDK View Post
Kobo is checking to make sure each device gets the appropriate upgrade package when needed. If the user (you) can't wait and goes willy-nilly then its the user's responsibility for whatever damage that causes.
LOL! I do have to side with Kobo here. They've already stated (for some time) that manually installing a firmware update isn't supported. Anyone who installs firmware in a non-prescribed manner pretty much knows they risk messing up their devices. You really can't blame the company if things go pear shaped.

I've been guilty of impatience in the past and manually installing firmware, but I'll try to sit on my hands in future.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:17 PM   #44
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
I have the 2.1.5 firmware and I read books from an SD card.
It's very stable and much quicker than the 2.1.1 firmware. (No reboots!)

I also manually updated it. However whilst I live in Australia now, when I bought it (shortly after the first KTs were released in the US) I was living in the UK, although imported it from the US, so perhaps the currently manually downloaded firmware is optimised for US KTs?
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:32 PM   #45
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
You are right. The point, that others seem to have missed (or chosen to ignore ), is that, even "side-loaded" upgrades should check that they are installing on the correct device before proceeding.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote