Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-06-2010, 08:08 AM   #1
lininjim
lininjim began at the beginning.

Device: prs505; prs600 - sold, iPad, Kindle 3
Slow-down

I am just posting to see if anybody has had the same experience as I have, and whether I have done the right thing to deal with it.

I have a PRS-600 and generally put my books, in collections, on an SD card. It has worked quite well up till a few days ago, when it started to struggle. I found it was taking longer and longer to turn the page, up to the point where it just wouldn't any more.
I also found if I had lost my page I couldn't always get it to go to a selected page number, it would freeze when it got there.
It then decided it didn't want to turn off, like a naughty schoolchild it was stamping its feet and sulking, resulting in me stabbing it several times with the reset stylus end.

What I have done is copied the books off the sd card and formatted a new one in the reader. I then copied everything back onto the new card and it seems okay so far. I'm going to reformat the old 8gb card and try again.

Does this sound like a faulty sd card problem or is it likely to be more serious?
lininjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:13 AM   #2
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by lininjim View Post
I am just posting to see if anybody has had the same experience as I have, and whether I have done the right thing to deal with it.

I have a PRS-600 and generally put my books, in collections, on an SD card. It has worked quite well up till a few days ago, when it started to struggle. I found it was taking longer and longer to turn the page, up to the point where it just wouldn't any more.
I also found if I had lost my page I couldn't always get it to go to a selected page number, it would freeze when it got there.
It then decided it didn't want to turn off, like a naughty schoolchild it was stamping its feet and sulking, resulting in me stabbing it several times with the reset stylus end.

What I have done is copied the books off the sd card and formatted a new one in the reader. I then copied everything back onto the new card and it seems okay so far. I'm going to reformat the old 8gb card and try again.

Does this sound like a faulty sd card problem or is it likely to be more serious?
I posted about this a while ago, but didn't get any pertinent replies (or any replies at all, I can't recall). My problem is with the PRS900. I concluded that, if I load a lot of stuff on the SD card, my device just slows down. It get particularly bad with annotations. I resorted to just carrying around less stuff with me - I archive everything on my pc, make a copy of that on an SD card (by simply using it through my PC) and regularly only keep what I need on the reader. If I really need to carry stuff with me, I pop the SD card in the device and deal with the slowness. On regular days, I leave the SD card in my PC.

I am actually pretty pissed about it. SONY's tech support claims it's normal - the internal database just swells up when you have a lot of stuff. They even told me I don't need to carry around hundreds of documents. Which is preposterous, given their advertising ('carry thousands of books...').
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2010, 08:38 AM   #3
lininjim
lininjim began at the beginning.

Device: prs505; prs600 - sold, iPad, Kindle 3
That's very bad indeed! I have around 500mb's worth of books on there and prefer them on the sd card (I don't remember why now) but that is pretty poor on Sony's part.
lininjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:13 AM   #4
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Yes, it is pretty bad. Typical SONY crap - I experienced it with their laptops and with various PSs. I always promise not to ever buy a SONY product again - but somehow... gotta give them credit, in a lot of ways, their hardware is great. But they are, after all, a hardware company - and it shows when they try to do software.

The slow down issue with annotations is particularly bad. If I pop in my SD card with 500+ PDFs with annotations, turning pages can take up to two minutes, especially if I have the 'freehand' option turned on.

Frankly, it's not the end of the world - I don't need all my files with me - I was doing it mostly for backup purposes (libraries seem to not transfer well from PC to PC and I fear my laptop dying on me and me losing all annotations - hence the SD card). But it's a hassle, and their advertising just rubs it in.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote