Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-12-2013, 02:46 AM   #16
roycymru
Connoisseur
roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'

Device: Kobo Touch
440000 books, assuming a minimum of 5hrs to read each book, in my calculations equates to 251 years of non stop reading. Perhaps less books is the answer.
roycymru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:16 AM   #17
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
another advatage of kepups (either original or sideloaded after conversion) is that you can see footnotes in a popup while reading your book.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:20 AM   #18
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by lohtse View Post
Ok so theres a lot for me to consider with regards to Kepubs....seems may be I should convert a few books and see what I think..

Now my next question is this...Is there an alternative book manager to Calibre as I hate the damn thing...I have a folder I have built over the years with 440000 books in it and calibre will import but it does in it own folder and creates hundreds of flippin folders with various files plus book file... Now My folders arranges as I like it so can find what I want easily with out opening software etc.. with these extra folders and files It takes up spaces that is better used else where..

So is there an alternative to calibre
If you prefer your current method, why change it?

There are other managers but I strongly prefer calibre so can't recommend others I have tried. Just search for ebook managers or ask in the management subforum.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:20 AM   #19
lohtse
Groupie
lohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
If you prefer your current method, why change it?

There are other managers but I strongly prefer calibre so can't recommend others I have tried. Just search for ebook managers or ask in the management subforum.

Helen
I prefer my current method as what am happy with...just wish you could stop calibre from creating folders etc and just use current folder as it is then would be happy.
lohtse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:38 AM   #20
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I prefer my current method as what am happy with...just wish you could stop calibre from creating folders etc and just use current folder as it is then would be happy.
You probably know that calibre uses the directory structure to keep track of books for conversion, adding metadata to the actual files, storing different formats of the same book and many others.

You probably don't want to do any of these things but many of us do. Perhaps there is an better way to keep track, but if so why are there not a few thousand better programs being distributed?

I understand that you have spent many years building your own unique system and are reluctant to change any part of it. But the calibre developers, of which there are quite a few have collectively invested far more time in theirs, and they continually update and improve things.

It is open source so you could rewrite the file storage parts yourself, but you would probably be out of the new feature/improvement loop. Still if you could actually demonstrate a better working model, the calibre people might consider it. One never knows.

I think you may have an exaggerated idea about the extra space taken up by the additional folders and subfolders. There is overhead because of the metadata.opf and the cover.jpg files and I myself have no use or liking for these files. But the benefits of calibre far outweigh the minor inconvenience of copying or deleting all of these files if I want to make a backup.

Then again I don't have 440000 books either Just curious, is that 440000 books with no duplicates? If not how on earth do you handle duplicate file names in one directory with out resorting to some mickey mouse method of naming them as in filename1 and filename2 etc.

Helen
Old 11-12-2013, 10:48 AM   #21
lohtse
Groupie
lohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Good heavens ... did I read that correctly ... 4 4 0 0 0 0 books
nope as meant to say 44000 corrected it now lol...
Old 11-12-2013, 10:53 AM   #22
lohtse
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I think you may have an exaggerated idea about the extra space taken up by the additional folders and subfolders. There is overhead because of the metadata.opf and the cover.jpg files and I myself have no use or liking for these files. But the benefits of calibre far outweigh the minor inconvenience of copying or deleting all of these files if I want to make a backup.

Then again I don't have 440000 books either Just curious, is that 440000 books with no duplicates? If not how on earth do you handle duplicate file names in one directory with out resorting to some mickey mouse method of naming them as in filename1 and filename2 etc.

Helen
Should have said 44000(corrected it..)

The odd dup file but I do mean the odd one....

As to the additional folders and sub folders wish it was an exaggeration but calibre creates a folder adds a copy of the ebook then adds extra files!!! so I have a completely new folder with all my books in there too... I tried coping a few files to the calibre folder and again it did the same leaving the original in the folder too...so even in that folder you have two copies of each ebook...

So there's a lot of wasted space as a result....
Old 11-12-2013, 11:45 AM   #23
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
Should have said 44000(corrected it..)

The odd dup file but I do mean the odd one....

As to the additional folders and sub folders wish it was an exaggeration but calibre creates a folder adds a copy of the ebook then adds extra files!!! so I have a completely new folder with all my books in there too... I tried coping a few files to the calibre folder and again it did the same leaving the original in the folder too...so even in that folder you have two copies of each ebook...

So there's a lot of wasted space as a result....
It only copies one copy of the book to the folder and there is a way of making it delete the original although I am not sure you want to do that. As I said I find the extra files annoying although I manage to survive

Additional copies of a book are produced on conversion to another format obviously. If you convert epub to mobi, you would expect to have one of each, and you can turn off the original file keeping option on converting to the same format if you choose.

I don't have half as many ebooks as you do but 44,000 is a much easier figure to envisage. And I do have a lot of disk storage. For me todays gigabyte is inconsequential. My first hard drive was 10 megabyte and that seemed a lot. Today I can by 50 terabyte for less money. So my perspective is different.

I think that if you use calibre on a smaller subset of your books and see how it works out that you will be glad you did. And choosing not to use calibre is perfectly fine as well. Whatever floats your boat.

Helen
Old 11-12-2013, 04:00 PM   #24
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Anyone can write or pay someone to write a plugin to add books to Kobo reader their way and use it only for their own use or submit their plugin for inclusion with other Calibre plugins.

http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/creating_plugins.html
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:38 PM   #25
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravespinner View Post
One of the main reasons I avoid Kindle (beside proprietary formatting) is that all the information about your reading habits are stored at amazon (not just the books but time spent, speed, incomplete, where you quit, and so on). I suspect that the same information is uploaded to Kobo for .kepub books.
/not usually paranoid
Also that information is very probably sent to the NSA so they can catch terrorists.I mean a terrorist could be reading a terror manual or a manuel on making explosives.This way the NSA can keep us safe.

However I do wonder why with all this spying why they have not been able stop the never ending terrorist attacks daily in the middle east and in irak in particular?
vugtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:03 PM   #26
lohtse
Groupie

Right so it would seem kepubs have a lot to offer but next question is this issue with kepubs and syncing!!!! if I convert epubs to kpubs will they bedelted when I sync(pocket is reason for sync)???
Old 11-13-2013, 04:21 PM   #27
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
No, if you use the KoboTouchExtended driver plugin for calibre you can create side-loaded KePub files that won't be deleted when you sync your device with Kobo. You won't get the in-book reading statistics, but I believe all other KePub features are intact.
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:21 PM   #28
Nightyume
Addict
Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.

Device: HTC One, Galaxy Note 10.1, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Right so it would seem kepubs have a lot to offer but next question is this issue with kepubs and syncing!!!! if I convert epubs to kpubs will they bedelted when I sync(pocket is reason for sync)???
To begin with syncing normally doesn't delete books. If I delete a book from my tablet it won't be deleted from my Aura and vice versa. If I deleted it from my Kobo library I am guessing then it would be (haven't deleted any books as of yet from my library).

And as was mentioned, sideloaded kepubs don't sync, this means the syncing process doesn't affect them in any way. So they're safe
Nightyume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:58 PM   #29
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
@Nightyume: It's possible that what was being discussed here was the fact that IF you used the unsupported version of the KoboTouchExtended Driver to convert ePubs to kEpubs WITH stats ENABLED, that these books WOULD be deleted when either a WiFi or Desktop sync was performed.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote