Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-23-2012, 05:59 AM   #21436
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
When installing the Windows operating system, the user is prompted to provide a name for the computer. I wonder how many people have named their computers 'Hal'? Since Win 3.5, mine have always been 'Hal.'

Stitchawl
When I got the first AV Mac which had voice recognition I called it Manuel.

You tube now has automatic captions when you upload a video. The phrase "your doctor probably doesn't know" became "helicopter does more snow"

The next OS for Mac will incorporate SIRI.

With everything we say and everything we upload being turned into text I'm sure computers out there somewhere are just waiting for some unsuspecting helicopter to do more snow and bust 'em.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:11 AM   #21437
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
Words With Friends board game... There is now a Words with Friends board game.... From Hasbo no less.

WTF?! Do they really believe consumers are this stupid??
Why did they even come up with Words With Friends? The only difference between that and Scrabble seems to be that Scrabble began its life as a board game, while WWF started as an online game.

Yes, I play Words With Friends because others in my family play, but I see no real difference.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:36 AM   #21438
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Hmm... with home automation coming, and it being tied to a house computer, I can see you in a few year's time:

"Open the garage door, Hal."
"I'm sorry Stitchawl. I'm afraid I can't do that."

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I think the soundboard is going on my computer. For the last couple of weeks, I've had to increase the volume every day. It used to rattle the windows at the volume I've got it set at now.
Maybe it's time for a new PC. I've had this one since Vista first came out.
The computer I'm using started life using Windows 95. Since then I've changed the motherboard, one of the internal drives, the video card (just recently) and added memory and a USB-3 card. I finally upgraded it to WinXP a couple of years ago. Perhaps you need the name of my Hearing Aid company?

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:17 AM   #21439
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
...The computer I'm using started life using Windows 95. Since then I've changed the motherboard, one of the internal drives, the video card (just recently) and added memory and a USB-3 card. I finally upgraded it to WinXP a couple of years ago. Perhaps you need the name of my Hearing Aid company?

Stitchawl
Got a pair, thanks! The problem is that none of my other goodies seem affected, just the PC.

Quote:
When installing the Windows operating system, the user is prompted to provide a name for the computer. I wonder how many people have named their computers 'Hal'? Since Win 3.5, mine have always been 'Hal.'

Stitchawl
Back in 1902 I believe it was when I was first starting with desktops (severely underpowered Packard-Bells running Windows 3.1), I substituted clips of HAL's best lines for some of the stock sounds in my AOL software. That would have been my second desktop. My first had no speakers or soundboard.

HAL should have received a commendation for his actions. Even though he was only an AI, he bravely attempted to continue the original mission alone after all his shipmates were dead. Well, except for Bowman, of course. But he was locked out of the ship.

Now that's dedication. What a guy!
Old 11-23-2012, 04:20 PM   #21440
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.

I am locked in mortal combat between a Mac Book Pro and a Canon MP810

printer/scanner, and ne'er the twain shall meet.

My day is doomed I tell ya!

Cheers
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:34 PM   #21441
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohmi2 View Post

I am locked in mortal combat between a Mac Book Pro and a Canon MP810

printer/scanner, and ne'er the twain shall meet.

My day is doomed I tell ya!

Cheers
Nice usage of Twain
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:58 PM   #21442
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Tried to update my Windows 7 32 bit OS to Windows 7 64 bit. After destroying my boot sector and spending hours of p*ssing around, I have finally got back to a vanilla 32 bit system with no apps or files (yes, I did back everything up ).

So I'm just plucking up the courage to have another go. Robert the Bruce had nothing on me...
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:38 PM   #21443
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
... I substituted clips of HAL's best lines for some of the stock sounds in my AOL software.
I did the very same. Except for the welcome screen... Being a 'Trekie,' I had my girlfriend record "Working..." for the start up sound, just the the Enterprise computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
So I'm just plucking up the courage to have another go. Robert the Bruce had nothing on me...
Were the spiders you encountered under the desk your inspiration?

A spouse can make you frustrated. A boss can make you angry. But it takes a computer to really piss you off!

Stitchawl
Old 11-24-2012, 08:01 AM   #21444
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Were the spiders you encountered under the desk your inspiration?
Not spiders. Gremlins. But perseverence won out, and I am now talking to you from my newly minted 64 bit system, which at last recognises all 10Gb of installed memory.

I did have a bad moment when it looked like my backup (on my shiny new 2 Tb external disk ) had not copied across my old email folders. Half an hour of heart attack until I remembered that the Windows Explorer default is to not show hidden files .
Old 11-24-2012, 08:30 AM   #21445
Stitchawl
Opsimath

10Gb of memory?!? There are Third World Countries that run their governments on less than 10Gb of memory!

Stitchawl
Old 11-24-2012, 11:40 AM   #21446
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
10Gb of memory?!? There are Third World Countries that run their governments on less than 10Gb of memory!

Stitchawl
"What the world needs now is RAM, more RAM
It's the only thing that there's just too little of..."

Sorry.

My desktop has 8Gb. That's sufficient for anything I've thrown at it, but if I could put more in it, I probably would. RAM is cheap these days compared to other upgrades.

My rant o' the morn - toilet paper commercials. I love the ones with the cartoon bears, but I don't like any where humans are talking about "the feel of clean" because, frankly, TMI. Those commercials kind of squick me out.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:23 PM   #21447
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
"What the world needs now is RAM, more RAM
It's the only thing that there's just too little of..."

Sorry.

My desktop has 8Gb. That's sufficient for anything I've thrown at it, but if I could put more in it, I probably would. RAM is cheap these days compared to other upgrades.

My rant o' the morn - toilet paper commercials. I love the ones with the cartoon bears, but I don't like any where humans are talking about "the feel of clean" because, frankly, TMI. Those commercials kind of squick me out.
Actually, I have 8Gb as well, with 2Gb sitting in a box waiting to be installed, if I can be bothered. As you say, memory is cheap and it makes a big difference to performance. The only problem was that when I bought the additional 8Gb I didn't realise that 32 bit Windows only "sees" a maximum of 3Gb, which is why I decided to move up to 64 bit, which has a proper memory handling capability. And I can see the difference .
Old 11-24-2012, 02:37 PM   #21448
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
(...) toilet paper commercials. I love the ones with the cartoon bears.
Sigh... That's why women use excessive amounts of shit-sheets to polish their bears.
A woman uses up a guys month stock of butt paper in one week.
I always thought that the commercials about your 'strawberry season products' are far more alienating, than any about shitpaper can be.
Especially the ones suggesting that's it's only troublesome for the noble-born blue-blooded among you
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:20 PM   #21449
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
We have to use toilet paper every trip to the bathroom.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:33 PM   #21450
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
We have to use toilet paper every trip to the bathroom.
Thanks for sharing.

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness