Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-15-2019, 03:08 PM   #1
Like_to_read
Like_to_read began at the beginning.

Device: None
Image Kindle Papwerwhite to a different device

I have been using Kindle for a number of years and love the interface.

However I feel frustrated by the lack of 8 or 10 inch Kindle ereader.

I looked at purchasing another ereader running Android and using the Kindle Android app but the experience is very glitchy.

I am not technical but since the Paperwhite is Linux, is there a way to image the device and then run it on a completely different Linux devices such as Kobo?

Thanks
Like_to_read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 06:29 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Never say never, but, err, no.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2019, 03:38 PM   #3
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
The books on the paperwhite are encoded to the paperwhite specifically. (Unless you sideloaded them, with DRM removed.) Amazon books with DRM must be re-sent to the new device, in order to get the new encoding and be openable. [This is just the long form of NiLuJe's reply. ]
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 03:48 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Err, no, that's not even remotely what I was hinting at.

The software is simply *really*, *really* tied to the hardware.

So I wouldn't even be worried about whether the software would be usable in a practical sense, once in isolation, as you probably wouldn't even get that far anyway .
Old 09-23-2019, 07:58 AM   #5
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
for more than one reason. I have to jailbreak to get rid of the Kindle UI. Anyway...

Apparently the Kindle app runs well on the 10" Onyx Note.

https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/20...-review-video/

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u3c96lEtEwI

The Note looks like a nice device, but don't expect it to run Kindle as smoothly as a Kindle. But it can do so much more.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2019, 10:30 AM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!

The Kindle Android app bears only minimal relations to the software stack used on eInk Kindle devices .
Old 09-23-2019, 12:04 PM   #7
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The OP mentioned using the Kindle app on Android, which is why I mentioned it as an option.

But I love it when you talk technical
Old 09-23-2019, 12:13 PM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Oh, right, I glossed that over, because Android -_-".

Yeah, on eInk Android devices, there won't be any miracles, but the Kindle app *should* "Just Work", as well as it can given the constraints (that is to say: badly, as the OP mentioned ).
Old 09-23-2019, 02:04 PM   #9
Pajamaman
Wizard

Have you used a recent Android device like a new Onyx which I posted? The damn things play youtube videos very passibly, though obviously in B&W. How well one app or another works is often arbitrary, and its often because of color and contrast. The big disadvantage is battery life.
Old 09-23-2019, 04:37 PM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!

It might sound strange, but doing videos halfway decently on eInk is not hard, especially on recent hardware, so, no, still not that impressed, I stand by my opinion that Android on eInk might be the worst idea in human history .

(Hell, people where already doing video when it was actually somewhat non-trivial, back in the Pearl days).

(Because doing eInk right is *all* about little things done right, and Android basically becomes more of an impediment that anything else when you want to do that).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-23-2019 at 04:43 PM.
Old 09-27-2019, 07:49 AM   #11
Pajamaman
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
(Because doing eInk right is *all* about little things done right, and Android basically becomes more of an impediment that anything else when you want to do that).
How so? Why don't you like Android on E-ink?
Old 09-27-2019, 01:33 PM   #12
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Because going through seven layers of indirection to control what you display and what you refresh is no fun.

Among a whole host of other generic Android-ness issues.