Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-03-2019, 06:40 PM   #1
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Favorite Reading Colors

Click image for larger version

Name:	2951DBA4-299E-47E9-84AE-8571B5116C01.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	416.7 KB
ID:	172758

This is my current favorite background and foreground color combo. I have it set as my night mode, but I use it most all of the time. It’s a nice low contrast combination, very easy on the eyes.

I tried to show this at 1% light setting, but iOS screen capture doesn’t pay attention to the light setting.

With FBReader as my app of choice, I can slide my finger up and down the screen to adjust the lighting such that it’s always comfortable. 1% in total darkness, very readable without disturbing my wife sleeping next to me.

Outside I’d probably go with black on white....but I don’t read outside that much.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 08:45 PM   #2
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
ooh thats nice. Has FBReader on iOS improved? I havent looked at it since the very early days. I dont suppose it talks to Goodreads?
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2019, 09:07 PM   #3
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
ooh thats nice. Has FBReader on iOS improved? I havent looked at it since the very early days. I dont suppose it talks to Goodreads?
It seems much better than when I first looked at it. At this point, I really like it. I moved over from Stanza->Marvin->FBReader. There are some Marvin features I miss like Radar (or something to that effect). It works on iOS and Android syncs between both. It has a nice Book Network based on google drive so it’s easy to load books (there are more ways than just this way).

On iOS each side of the screen has a top, middle and bottom that you can set independently as tap zones to go forward or back. I have everything going forward except the bottom third left.

Marvin was easier to setup to look good.

Goodreads support is planned: https://fbreader.org/content/fbreade...anned-features
Old 08-03-2019, 09:19 PM   #4
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
I now use full black text on a slight grey background:

Background: R=204, G=204, B=204 ; #CCCCCC
Text: R=0, G=0, B=0 ; #000000

as set up in both PocketBook (which is my main app) and Moon+ Reader Pro.
Note that these may render slightly differently on different displays.

https://www.rapidtables.com/web/color/RGB_Color.html

These colors work for me from bright interior lighting down to pitch black interior. {EDIT: I think many may find this background too light as a result of the common practice of users having brightness set far too high on displays, instead of letting their eyes adapt.}

I don't read much in the sun (I already have the scars where lesions have been cut out caused by too much time in the sun) but when I do I have no problem reading with those colors; however I do know how to position a display so that reflected light is of little problem.

I used to use a background with some yellow in it to give a slightly aged parchment like or very light beige color but as the reading apps in more recent times have made it so easy to adjust light level from practically completely dark to bright (the finger gesture Leebase mentions) I have discarded that background.

Last edited by AnotherCat; 08-03-2019 at 09:26 PM. Reason: As noted { }
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 11:00 PM   #5
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Nice. I agree...he ability to fine tune the brightness goes a LONG way to adding comfort in any light
Advert
Old 08-04-2019, 07:49 AM   #6
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I use white text on a dark reddish background. It works for me.

I use Marvin. I use iOS devices, kindle and Kobo devices. I don't think it's possible to sync between all those devices. I wish it was.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 08:00 AM   #7
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Attached is my calibre viewer colours. It's a dark cyan on black.

Your colours remind me of my vim colour scheme which is called "flatlandia".

I get mocked at work for it because the comments sections show as grey on darker grey but it's easy on my eyes so that's the important thing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	calibre.png
Views:	280
Size:	319.9 KB
ID:	172772   Click image for larger version

Name:	vim.png
Views:	263
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	172773  
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 08:08 AM   #8
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
Attached is my calibre viewer colours. It's a dark cyan on black.

Your colours remind me of my vim colour scheme which is called "flatlandia".

I get mocked at work for it because the comments sections show as grey on darker grey but it's easy on my eyes so that's the important thing.
I like both. I also code in “dark mode”
Old 08-04-2019, 11:00 AM   #9
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
I like both. I also code in “dark mode”
I tend to take the Chuck Norris approach to comments, i.e. if I want your comments, I'll beat it out of you.

Serious, I learned long ago never to trust comments. So many people change the code but not the comments.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 11:59 AM   #10
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
I tried to show this at 1% light setting, but iOS screen capture doesn’t pay attention to the light setting.
What do you mean by that and what is it that you would have iOS (or any other OS) do?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 12:05 PM   #11
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
What do you mean by that and what is it that you would have iOS (or any other OS) do?
It means that no matter what the brightness setting, the screen shots looked he same. It would have been nice to show the very dim look of 1% light
Old 08-04-2019, 12:19 PM   #12
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
It means that no matter what the brightness setting, the screen shots looked he same. It would have been nice to show the very dim look of 1% light
I am not aware of any any application that puts a brightness setting in a JPEG program or any display application that uses such a setting to override user brightness setting.

The closest you can get to what you want is take a photograph of the screen instead of a screen capture.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 08:47 AM   #13
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I really like a very, very light grey background with black type and clean fonts. That's fine for me. I rarely read in bed and if I do, the light doesn't bother my dog. He can sleep in full sunlight.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 11:58 AM   #14
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Quote:
Attachment 172758

This is my current favorite background and foreground color combo. I have it set as my night mode, but I use it most all of the time. It’s a nice low contrast combination, very easy on the eyes.

With FBReader as my app of choice, I can slide my finger up and down the screen to adjust the lighting such that it’s always comfortable. 1% in total darkness, very readable without disturbing my wife sleeping next to me.

Outside I’d probably go with black on white....but I don’t read outside that much.
Mine is pretty close to this. I also use FBReader on my Ipad Pro. It syncs up with FBReader on my Samsung S8, so it's a great solution for me. I'll grab a screenshot of mine when I get home (If I remember). What background and fonts are you using? I like to tinker, so I might try your combination and see how I like it, too.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 05:10 PM   #15
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Screenshot, as promised. :-)

Name:	31e9a237a771af6aef01674d19d007f8.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	650.5 KB
ID:	172844

Last edited by DiapDealer; 08-09-2019 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Thumbnailed oversized image
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote