Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 09-16-2019, 12:02 PM   #1771
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
Charles River Editors, Free

David Dixon Porter: The Life and Legacy of the Distinguished Union Rear Admiral during the Civil War

Babe Ruth: The Life and Legacy of Major League Baseball’s Most Famous Player

https://www.amazon.com/s?i=digital-t...+river+editors

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?i=digital...+river+editors

https://www.amazon.ca/s?i=digital-te...+river+editors

Add

Tlaloc: The History of the Aztec God of Rain and Giver of Life
Little.Egret is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 03:14 PM   #1772
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post
I think it can be easy to have a gap in one's knowledge of history in the range of stuff that happened maybe 10 - 20 years before one hits high school or college. One was too young (or not even born) to remember events personally, and yet the events aren't historical enough to have been incorporated into standard textbooks.

For me, this period covers the events leading up to and the early years of the Vietnam War. I started noticing politics and wars and things towards the end of the war, but I was too young to remember the beginnings, and our high school history book ended shortly after the start of the Cold War.
I agree. My history classes stopped after the Civil War. I've surmised that my teachers felt WWI and WWII were not history, but current events ... for them. Though I was studying around 1970 plus and minus a few. But I've had to learn about both world wars on my own. Vietnam & Korea I haven't even started to wonder about, yet.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:09 PM   #1773
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
I agree. My history classes stopped after the Civil War. I've surmised that my teachers felt WWI and WWII were not history, but current events ... for them. Though I was studying around 1970 plus and minus a few. But I've had to learn about both world wars on my own. Vietnam & Korea I haven't even started to wonder about, yet.
My last high school history course (about 1961) covered 1885-1933, but this was unusual.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:31 PM   #1774
Little.Egret
Wizard

Amazon UK Daily Deal

Factfulness: Ten Reasons We're Wrong About The World - And Why Things Are Better Than You Think by Hans Rosling Ola Rosling Anna Rosling Rönnlund

99p

Here's a podcast about it

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0668k2q

The great statistician, Hans Rosling, died in February last year. Throughout his life Hans used data to explain how the world was changing – and often improving – and he would challenge people to examine their own preconceptions and ignorance. Before he became ill, Hans had started working on a book about these questions and what they reveal about the mental biases that tend to lead us astray. Tim Harford speaks to his son Ola and daughter in law Anna who worked on the book with him

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0769XK7D6/
Old 09-17-2019, 08:26 AM   #1775
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
I was studying around the same time, and thought it was bad that my textbook stopped at the beginning of the Cold War. But maybe I was lucky - at least I got to learn about the somewhat important WWI and WWII and even a smidge beyond. Hard to imagine a history class in the 70s (or even 60s) that wouldn't cover at least through the two WW. So much for my complaining .

I wondered also, at the time, and still do, if in that time frame, the Vietnam War was still too political vs historical. Although I know there were protests against US involvement in both World Wars too, I have the impression they were not on the same scale as the protests against the Vietnam War. So I've always sort of thought that this was our school district punting a little bit too.

Oh well...sort of off-topic by now...

Quote:
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:24 PM   #1776
Little.Egret
Wizard

Charles River Editors, Free

The Mamluks: The History and Legacy of the Medieval Slave Soldiers Who Established a Dynasty in Egypt

Native Americans in the Civil War: The History and Legacy of Various Indian Tribes’ Participation in the War Between the States

https://www.amazon.com/s?i=digital-t...+river+editors

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?i=digital...+river+editors

https://www.amazon.ca/s?i=digital-te...+river+editors
Old Yesterday, 05:27 PM   #1777
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
The Woman Who Smashed Codes by Jason Fagone is $2.99 at Amazon, Kobo and B&N. This sale was posted on Tuesday, but I don't know for how long it will be there.

Sorry for the lack of links. My wireless mouse has failed and while I can copy and paste text, I can't seem to copy and paste the link. Laptops have their troubles.
I didn't enjoy my ARC copy of this at all, but I hope some of you do!
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:28 PM   #1778
Little.Egret
Wizard

Quote:
Amazon UK Daily Deal

Factfulness: Ten Reasons We're Wrong About The World - And Why Things Are Better Than You Think by Hans Rosling Ola Rosling Anna Rosling Rönnlund

99p

Here's a podcast about it

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0668k2q

The great statistician, Hans Rosling, died in February last year. Throughout his life Hans used data to explain how the world was changing – and often improving – and he would challenge people to examine their own preconceptions and ignorance. Before he became ill, Hans had started working on a book about these questions and what they reveal about the mental biases that tend to lead us astray. Tim Harford speaks to his son Ola and daughter in law Anna who worked on the book with him

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0769XK7D6/

Something weird happened. The Deal of the Day changed after a few hours and it and the email were very different and the price reverted.

Still the book has been 99p once before so watch it.
Old Today, 02:48 AM   #1779
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Something weird happened. The Deal of the Day changed after a few hours and it and the email were very different and the price reverted.

Still the book has been 99p once before so watch it.
It's because it was posted on the week following Friday the 13th.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:10 PM   #1780
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
The Woman Who Smashed Codes by Jason Fagone is $2.99 at Amazon, Kobo and B&N. This sale was posted on Tuesday, but I don't know for how long it will be there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I didn't enjoy my ARC copy of this at all, but I hope some of you do!
Care to say why? I bought it, on the perceived value of the content.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:30 PM   #1781
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, GloHD, Aura One
Quote:
Care to say why? I bought it, on the perceived value of the content.
I'm not astrangerhere, but I didn't think it very good either. It's been a while since I read it, but the biggest flaw was the fictionalizing; it described people's actions in a fictional context that has no factual support - people smiling or tilting their heads and so forth, and, far worst of all, characterizing their thoughts. In addition, the author was prone to engage in hyperbole that got tired; the "smashed codes" of the title was done to death.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:22 PM   #1782
Little.Egret
Wizard

Free

Enemy Coast Ahead: The Illustrated Memoir of Dambuster Guy Gibson
by Guy Gibson & James Holland (Introduction), Dr. Robert Owen (Contributor)

A definitive new edition of a classic memoir, published in association with the RAF Museum, complete with more than 100 photographs and notes from leading historians.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WCQRMLN/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07WCQRMLN/

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07WCQRMLN/