Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 04-28-2022, 04:08 PM   #1
sup
Connoisseur
sup began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2012)
Magazines sent over pbsync from Calibre have wrong covers

Every week I download The Economist magazine automatically by Calibre that then sends it to my Pocketbook Inkpad Color over the pbsync.com service. The magazine arrives fine, but it has the wrong cover - typically of the previous issue. Has anybody noticed the same behaviour? Any idea about fixes?

Last edited by sup; 05-06-2022 at 03:15 AM.
sup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 06:34 AM   #2
wold
Zealot
wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Lux 5, Libra 2, PRS-T2N
Quote:
Originally Posted by sup View Post
Every week I download The Economist magazine automatically by Calibre that then sends it to my Pocketbook Inkpad Color over the pbsync.com service. The magazine arrives fine, but it has the wrong cover - typically of the previous issue. Has anybody noticed the same behaviour? Any idea about fixes?
Considering checking this with the author of Calibre's Economist plugin/script. Perhaps something changed on the website.
wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 03:14 AM   #3
sup
Connoisseur

There is nothing wrong with the recipe - the cover is displayed fine in Calibre. Pocketbook does something funny with it.
Old 05-06-2022, 02:23 PM   #4
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Or calibre updates the database on the ereader incorrectly when it uploads the document.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 04:11 AM   #5
wold
Zealot
wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Lux 5, Libra 2, PRS-T2N
Quote:
There is nothing wrong with the recipe - the cover is displayed fine in Calibre. Pocketbook does something funny with it.
Ah Any chance there are multiple covers inside the original epub?

You could check the thumbnail filenames on the PB.
Covers are usually stored using the file hash (unique), but it could also use metadata, such as an ID. If that ID is reused in the recipe, they would overlap.

There is also a recent PB bug, where tapping the cover of the 'latest added' book, actually opens the previously open book (closing that in the task manager solves this). But this doesn't appear to be that.

-addition:
There's prob one legitimate reason pbsync would edit the file before delivery: if the cover is judged too large. In that case, the above ID remark would apply.

Last edited by wold; 05-08-2022 at 04:18 AM. Reason: addition
wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 10:48 AM   #6
sup
Connoisseur

Calibre does not update the database. Calibre send an e-mail with the magazine as attachment to [my_user_name]@pbsync.com and from then on it is Pocketbook's responsibility.

I think the problem is that each week the filename is the same. It is "The Economist.mobi". When I*attach the reader through USB, in /system/cache/desktop/1/SendToPb/ there are a lot of files including these old covers. I*deleted them and it fixed the problem - but I think it will only fix it for a week. So this is a cache problem - but I think it will reappear next week.

Not sure if this is Pocketbook's fault (it decides which cover to display based on filename, apparently, which is not duplicate-proof) or Calibre's Economist recipe faults (it could name the files distinctively, perhaps putting in date of the issue).

Does it make sense to try to report it to Pocketbook?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front_screen.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	815.5 KB
ID:	193801   Click image for larger version

Name:	when_clicked.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	790.3 KB
ID:	193802   Click image for larger version

Name:	supposed cover.png
Views:	100
Size:	479.5 KB
ID:	193803  
Old 05-13-2022, 01:31 PM   #7
sup
Connoisseur

Well, I created a pull request for the recipe in Calibre, so it could be fixed on that side at least:*https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibre/pull/1642