Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-08-2021, 11:27 AM   #136
loviedovie
Addict
loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bookeen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galunid View Post
Yup, that was reply to your question. I'd wait with flashing though, just do `fastboot boot magisk_patched.img` whenever you need it.

Hi

I am assuming that I wont need to flash the twrp image and that will give me root access until the next OS upgrade?

Last edited by loviedovie; 04-08-2021 at 11:42 AM.
loviedovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 03:55 PM   #137
Galunid
Zealot
Galunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: KPW3, Kobo Clara HD, Onyx Boox Nova 2
You shouldn't flash TWRP image at all. The rooting procedure is the same for most Onyx devices, TWRP builds are different across them and as far as I know, only Max 3 has them. `fastboot boot magisk_patched.img` gives you root access until next reboot. I would suggest to do this first, since if something goes wrong, the device won't be bricked permanently, and a simple reboot will fix any problems that arise. If you're certain the patched boot image works as it's supposed to, only then do the "permanent" flash.
Galunid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 08:21 PM   #138
loviedovie
Addict
loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bookeen
Quote:
You shouldn't flash TWRP image at all. The rooting procedure is the same for most Onyx devices, TWRP builds are different across them and as far as I know, only Max 3 has them. `fastboot boot magisk_patched.img` gives you root access until next reboot. I would suggest to do this first, since if something goes wrong, the device won't be bricked permanently, and a simple reboot will fix any problems that arise. If you're certain the patched boot image works as it's supposed to, only then do the "permanent" flash.
Thanks for the reply. This is very helpful. One last question if you do not mind. How do I do the "permanent" flash"?
loviedovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 05:27 AM   #139
Galunid
Zealot
Galunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: KPW3, Kobo Clara HD, Onyx Boox Nova 2
`fastboot flash boot <boot_image_name>.img`. I think https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=336523 does a better job of explaining what to do in what order. You can get decrypted boot image by using https://github.com/Hagb/decryptBooxUpdateUpx and then use magisk to patch it. The procedure is the same for most devices, the boot image is different, hence why you need to prepare your own.
Galunid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 09:45 AM   #140
vetmike
vetmike began at the beginning.

Device: Note 3
After rooting my Nova 3, I ended up bricking my device after installing some EdXposed modules. I'm stuck in a boot loop with only fastboot access. I see a few mentions of the factory tool to reset to stock - anyone have access to that? Or EDL files I could reload?

Thanks!!

Last edited by vetmike; 08-17-2021 at 09:47 AM.
vetmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 12:36 AM   #141
diabl0w
Connoisseur
diabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enough

Device: Max3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetmike View Post
After rooting my Nova 3, I ended up bricking my device after installing some EdXposed modules. I'm stuck in a boot loop with only fastboot access. I see a few mentions of the factory tool to reset to stock - anyone have access to that? Or EDL files I could reload?

Thanks!!
don't do that, just wipe data/factory reset in recovery mode
diabl0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 07:14 PM   #142
Nicolas-
Nicolas- can differentiate black from dark navy blueNicolas- can differentiate black from dark navy blueNicolas- can differentiate black from dark navy blueNicolas- can differentiate black from dark navy blueNicolas- can differentiate black from dark navy blueNicolas- can differentiate black from dark navy blueNicolas- can differentiate black from dark navy blueNicolas- can differentiate black from dark navy blueNicolas- can differentiate black from dark navy blueNicolas- can differentiate black from dark navy blueNicolas- can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Onyx Nova Pro 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrywyh View Post
Yes, I know. Isn't Onyx Nova a Rockchip device? Can we flash boot.img using RKDevTool? Thanks,
Hello, sorry for digging an old thread.
I'm interested in this answer too.
Can we use RKdevtool to flash boot.img ?
My device is stuck in maskrom mode and I read here and there partitions can be flashed on Rockchip devices in this mode.
Thanks !
Nicolas- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 07:02 PM   #143
sk88
sk88 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Max 3, Kindle Paperwhite, Nook Simple Touch
Does anyone have the 2.2.2 boot image or recovery images linked somewhere?

Also, just wondering if the twrp image linked in the OP is still the one to use if I'm already on version 3.1. For the magisk boot image, it looks like that is for 3.0 as well. I would assume I have to patch a new one for 3.1 (and 3.2 when it comes out this month) unless someone has one already. This is all for the max 3.
sk88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 01:36 PM   #144
jerrywyh
jerrywyh began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas- View Post
Hello, sorry for digging an old thread.
I'm interested in this answer too.
Can we use RKdevtool to flash boot.img ?
My device is stuck in maskrom mode and I read here and there partitions can be flashed on Rockchip devices in this mode.
Thanks !
I've contacted their customer service, and they provided their tool for me to finally have my device save. If you want, I can send it to you or you can contact them asking forit. The tool looks like RKdevtool and they use an OEMImage plus an update image.

I used the RKdevtool I downloaded somewhere to backup all partitions yet have not tried restoring them. I've got recovery image and other images, yet from the update package you can download from their website, you can find no recovery image after you decrypt it.
jerrywyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 06:05 AM   #145
cicabum
Addict
cicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud of

Device: Onyx Note3, Nova3, Hisense A5, Hisense Q5, Dasung Paperlike Pro-f
Quote:
`fastboot flash boot <boot_image_name>.img`. I think https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=336523 does a better job of explaining what to do in what order. You can get decrypted boot image by using https://github.com/Hagb/decryptBooxUpdateUpx and then use magisk to patch it. The procedure is the same for most devices, the boot image is different, hence why you need to prepare your own.
Hello. The last firmare update 3.2 doesn't contain the boot.img. How can I root my device this time? I need some help. Thank you
cicabum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 02:06 PM   #146
diabl0w
Connoisseur
diabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enough

Device: Max3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cicabum View Post
Hello. The last firmare update 3.2 doesn't contain the boot.img. How can I root my device this time? I need some help. Thank you
update > fastboot boot twrp.img > flash magisk.zip
edit: that is for max 3
diabl0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 04:03 PM   #147
jerrywyh
jerrywyh began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabl0w View Post
yes, this was discovered awhile ago. i posted an update in the OP that a lot of the posts on the first few pages are no longer relevant as there was an early OTA update that changed the boot.img of our device. the boot.img by default does not have a ramdisk and instead the ramdisk is loaded from the recovery.img on boot. BUT for whatever reason, if a ramdisk is put on boot.img for our devices, it also gets loaded as well. i believe this can change with an ota update in the future, but it probably wont. ill update the OP again to make this more clear
@diabl0w Would you be able to share how you packed a ramdisk on boot.img? Is it ported from the recovery or a genetic one? I'm trying to figure out how to patch my Hisense A5 (an e-Ink cell phone). Thanks a lot.
jerrywyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 05:45 AM   #148
very_rude_Turnip
Enthusiast
very_rude_Turnip will become famous soon enoughvery_rude_Turnip will become famous soon enoughvery_rude_Turnip will become famous soon enoughvery_rude_Turnip will become famous soon enoughvery_rude_Turnip will become famous soon enoughvery_rude_Turnip will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Aura v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabl0w View Post
*** We now have TWRP and any bootloop issues you run into are recoverable through TWRP, just use google ***
diabl0w, do you have a repository so I can check out your TRWP code? I want to try to make a build for the Note 2.

Thanks.
very_rude_Turnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 10:52 AM   #149
uniqdom
uniqdom knows what time it isuniqdom knows what time it isuniqdom knows what time it isuniqdom knows what time it isuniqdom knows what time it isuniqdom knows what time it isuniqdom knows what time it isuniqdom knows what time it isuniqdom knows what time it isuniqdom knows what time it isuniqdom knows what time it is

Device: Boox Max3
Hello diabl0w, I read about your instructions to flash TWRP, so after months/years I have turned on my max3 again, and I have seen that there is a new update (v3.3.2) 2023-05-15_11-51_3.3.2_0653eec63. I don't know if you are aware of this new update and I wanted to know if your instructions are still valid to this new version.

The changelog is in the attachment or it may be seen it here https://imgur.com/a/ckfJzZ4
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	babvsgY.png
Views:	48
Size:	856.6 KB
ID:	202468  

Last edited by uniqdom; 07-05-2023 at 11:10 AM.
uniqdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 12:55 PM   #150
sk88
sk88 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Max 3, Kindle Paperwhite, Nook Simple Touch
I'm currently on firmware 3.0 and trying to access my bootloader to finally root. I'm getting a new eink device so I can risk bricking this one. I am hesitant to update to the latest firmware because I know Onyx has done some updates to remove rooting methods.

I have tried two ways to get to the bootloader, one through adb (adb reboot bootloader), and one through recovery (booting to recovery in the method in the OP, and then selecting boot to bootloader). Either way I do it, the device ends up being frozen. I'm not sure if this process is supposed to take a while and I should just wait. I am able to hold the power button to turn off and get back into the standard OS with no issues.

Am I somehow missing a step? Do I need to unlock the bootloader first before booting into it? And how do I do that? Appreciate the help from other folks on the forum.

This is all with the Max 3 device. I'm assuming this is still the best root method as we get TWRP.
sk88 is offline   Reply With Quote