Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-29-2022, 08:47 AM   #16
polossatik
TheBigFish
polossatik has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.polossatik has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.polossatik has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.polossatik has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.polossatik has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.polossatik has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.polossatik has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.polossatik has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.polossatik has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.polossatik has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.polossatik has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: boox note air / pocketbook 840
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
You can also turn off "Apply Font, Contrast, Spacing Style settings to all files" in the global and then you can apply settings individually to different books. .
hey, cheers. that's basically all i wanted , thank you for the tip!
polossatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 10:00 PM   #17
Warchild
Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Nook Color, Kobo Aura, iPad, iPad Mini
I'd be careful of Moon reader. Not underdevelopment and does some shaky things. Like suddenly I must be connected to wifi to even open the app. This is a paid app that has shut down all of it's servers.
Warchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 10:48 PM   #18
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
I'd be careful of Moon reader. Not underdevelopment and does some shaky things. Like suddenly I must be connected to wifi to even open the app. This is a paid app that has shut down all of it's servers.
We live in a sleazy world. Every two-bit app wants to have all sorts of permissions. The Onyx Calculator app has android.permission.CHANGE_WIFI_STATE. Why? I count 51 apps that have been granted CHANGE_WIFI_STATE. I count 66 apps that have been granted android.permission.INTERNET
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 03:51 AM   #19
bazookajoe
Connoisseur
bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.

Device: Onyx Leaf, excessive amount of Android devices
Quote:
It is under development, I still get updates and I don't have to be connected to Wifi to use it. That's Moon+ Reader Pro.

Maybe the free version requires internet because they run ads and they're not going to like not getting their ads out there for $$. I certainly feel a certain way about ads (that's why I use Adguard) but, you know, plenty of free android apps run ads.

Oh you're on iOS. Well that's really on you, isn't it

Update: just checked, Moon+ doesn't require any permissions other than Storage/Files and Media on Android either ranging from Pie up to 12.

Update 2: I just put the free version on my old Tab A (Pie) and it isn't forcing me to have Wifi turned on either. Can't speak for later Androids I'm not messing up my rigs. Maybe it's some iOS/Amazon Store(?) sucky thing? They're not making the money there to make active dev worth it? I dunno.

Last edited by bazookajoe; 04-30-2022 at 04:15 AM.
bazookajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 07:45 AM   #20
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazookajoe View Post
Moon+ doesn't require any permissions other than...
I'm not picking on Moon Reader, but the things listed under Settings > Apps > Permissions is a small subset of all the permissions.

Permissions in the Onyx reader:
Spoiler:
Code:
android.permission.ACCESS_KEYGUARD_SECURE_STORAGE
android.permission.ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE
android.permission.ACCESS_WIFI_STATE
android.permission.BATTERY_STATS
android.permission.BLUETOOTH
android.permission.CAMERA
android.permission.CHANGE_WIFI_STATE
android.permission.DUMP
android.permission.EXPAND_STATUS_BAR
android.permission.FOREGROUND_SERVICE
android.permission.GET_INTENT_SENDER_INTENT
android.permission.GET_TASKS
android.permission.INTERACT_ACROSS_USERS_FULL
android.permission.INTERNET
android.permission.MANAGE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE
android.permission.MANAGE_USERS
android.permission.MODIFY_AUDIO_SETTINGS
android.permission.READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE
android.permission.READ_LOGS
android.permission.READ_PHONE_STATE
android.permission.RECEIVE_BOOT_COMPLETED
android.permission.REORDER_TASKS
android.permission.STATUS_BAR
android.permission.SYSTEM_ALERT_WINDOW
android.permission.USE_FINGERPRINT
android.permission.VIBRATE
android.permission.WAKE_LOCK
android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE
android.permission.WRITE_SETTINGS
com.android.email.permission.READ_ATTACHMENT
com.onyx.android.dict.TOKEN_SEARCH

Permissions in kcb.apk (main bit of Onyx utilities):
Spoiler:
Code:
android.permission.ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION
android.permission.ACCESS_KEYGUARD_SECURE_STORAGE
android.permission.ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE
android.permission.ACCESS_WIFI_STATE
android.permission.BATTERY_STATS
android.permission.BIND_APPWIDGET
android.permission.BIND_DEVICE_ADMIN
android.permission.BLUETOOTH
android.permission.BLUETOOTH_ADMIN
android.permission.BLUETOOTH_PRIVILEGED
android.permission.CALL_PHONE
android.permission.CAMERA
android.permission.CHANGE_COMPONENT_ENABLED_STATE
android.permission.CHANGE_CONFIGURATION
android.permission.CHANGE_NETWORK_STATE
android.permission.CHANGE_WIFI_STATE
android.permission.CREATE_USERS
android.permission.CRYPT_KEEPER
android.permission.DELETE_PACKAGES
android.permission.DUMP
android.permission.EXPAND_STATUS_BAR
android.permission.FOREGROUND_SERVICE
android.permission.INSTALL_PACKAGES
android.permission.INTERACT_ACROSS_USERS
android.permission.INTERACT_ACROSS_USERS_FULL
android.permission.INTERNAL_SYSTEM_WINDOW
android.permission.INTERNET
android.permission.MANAGE_ACTIVITY_STACKS
android.permission.MANAGE_DEVICE_ADMINS
android.permission.MANAGE_FINGERPRINT
android.permission.MANAGE_PROFILE_AND_DEVICE_OWNERS
android.permission.MANAGE_USERS
android.permission.MODIFY_AUDIO_SETTINGS
android.permission.NETWORK_SETTINGS
android.permission.PACKAGE_USAGE_STATS
android.permission.READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE
android.permission.READ_LOGS
android.permission.READ_PHONE_STATE
android.permission.RECEIVE_BOOT_COMPLETED
android.permission.REORDER_TASKS
android.permission.REQUEST_DELETE_PACKAGES
android.permission.REQUEST_INSTALL_PACKAGES
android.permission.SET_TIME
android.permission.SET_TIME_ZONE
android.permission.SET_WALLPAPER
android.permission.STATUS_BAR
android.permission.STORAGE_INTERNAL
android.permission.SUBSTITUTE_NOTIFICATION_APP_NAME
android.permission.SYSTEM_ALERT_WINDOW
android.permission.USE_FINGERPRINT
android.permission.VIBRATE
android.permission.WAKE_LOCK
android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE
android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS
android.permission.WRITE_SETTINGS
com.android.browser.permission.READ_HISTORY_BOOKMARKS
com.android.chrome.permission.READ_WRITE_BOOKMARK_FOLDERS
com.google.android.providers.gsf.permission.READ_GSERVICES
com.google.android.providers.gsf.permission.WRITE_GSERVICES

Then there are the permissions that aren't in the AndroidManifest, like android.permission.ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION (which does appear in Settings > Apps > Permissions). I'm not saying that it's all evil. It looks like the FINE_LOCATION in the Onyx reader is so that it can know when "Twilight" is. And that is actually a part of a stock Android utility.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 12:55 PM   #21
Warchild
Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Nook Color, Kobo Aura, iPad, iPad Mini
Quote:
It is under development, I still get updates and I don't have to be connected to Wifi to use it. That's Moon+ Reader Pro.

Maybe the free version requires internet because they run ads and they're not going to like not getting their ads out there for $$. I certainly feel a certain way about ads (that's why I use Adguard) but, you know, plenty of free android apps run ads.

Oh you're on iOS. Well that's really on you, isn't it

Update: just checked, Moon+ doesn't require any permissions other than Storage/Files and Media on Android either ranging from Pie up to 12.

Update 2: I just put the free version on my old Tab A (Pie) and it isn't forcing me to have Wifi turned on either. Can't speak for later Androids I'm not messing up my rigs. Maybe it's some iOS/Amazon Store(?) sucky thing? They're not making the money there to make active dev worth it? I dunno.
I did pay for the app, same version as you (updated in March I think) I don't use it on IOS, only on Boox. All I'm saying is I find it unusable so you should be careful about giving people money.
Warchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 04:03 AM   #22
bazookajoe
Connoisseur
bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.

Device: Onyx Leaf, excessive amount of Android devices
Quote:
I did pay for the app, same version as you (updated in March I think) I don't use it on IOS, only on Boox. All I'm saying is I find it unusable so you should be careful about giving people money.
That's interesting. I use it on Boox too (Leaf, firmware 3.2.1) and I don't need to have wifi turned on to use it or grant any permissions to it other than storage.
bazookajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 09:18 AM   #23
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
That's interesting. I use it on Boox too (Leaf, firmware 3.2.1) and I don't need to have wifi turned on to use it or grant any permissions to it other than storage.
I also use Moon+ Pro on Boox and several other devices. I seldom have wifi enabled on any of my devices and I have never experienced any issues using it. It is my go to reader when I am reading anything in Japanese.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote