Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 04-09-2022, 11:22 PM   #1
fibbling
New Sony PRS-505 User
fibbling began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Moonreader Pro - no longer 'remembers' external files?

Hi there,
I've been using Moonreader Pro for many years and any queries have been answered in this forum without having to post - so well done so far!
This is my first post because of something I've noticed over the past few months and it's not such a big deal I suppose, but wanted to see if a recent change is just on my end..
I have Moonreader set as my default app for opening all ebooks (that's basically all pdf, epub, mobi etc) and this has worked perfectly for many years. So when I click on any ebook in a local folder on my Android it opens with Moonreader, and later if I want to resume reading it or adding it to my library with tags etc it can easily be found in the 'Recent List'.
However these past few months it has stopped doing this and if I want Moonreader to remember it opened any ebook I have to actually go to the 'My Files' section and locate and open the file all over again. I can't tell if this is something that has changed with Moonreader or if it happened when I bought a new tablet 3 months ago and made a new install. But I have changed devices several times over the years without losing this feature so it's puzzling.
Has anyone else noticed this happening recently? Even just saying 'Yes i noticed this recently too" would be helpful so I could then contact the developers..
Thanks in advance to anyone who replies!
- Jo
fibbling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 01:24 PM   #2
bazookajoe
Connoisseur
bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.

Device: Onyx Leaf, excessive amount of Android devices
I used to constantly have trouble with this many moons ago (lol) it always had trouble keeping non-imported books in Recent so to remedy this I've always imported books on-read/selection out of sheer habit for years now into Books > MoonReader (which is a bit annoying because that is often a double up on my device that I have to clear out after reading, but I've survived thus far).

I wish I could be more help but the best I can do is at least let you know how things are going for me on Android 9, 10, 11 and 12 (all Samsungs from cheap to flagship and one Onyx Leaf). I unchecked my "import new books automatically" setting in "Options" and also shut off any cloud connection/backup of book or read position before doing the tests.

You're on to something, but in narrow circumstances. Android 9, 11 and 12 give me no problems from either internal storage or external SD. It remembers in Recent just fine (maybe I can untick the option now after years lol).

Where I've hit issues is with my Onyx Leaf. That's on Android 10 under the hood + their own firmware. That will not remember the book in Recent, even from internal storage.
Sadly I have no other Android 10 devices left to see if it's a 10 thing or a custom firmware thing or what. As said, if it was a 10 thing or even a recent development I wouldn't have noticed as I've always just restored my old settings onto any new device and just kept it that way.

Maybe you could contact the dev and see what's what. The easy solution is to try the import books as I said but I understand space is a premium on e-readers maybe they can do a fix of some sort?

Last edited by bazookajoe; 04-11-2022 at 01:45 PM.
bazookajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 01:50 PM   #3
bazookajoe
Connoisseur
bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.

Device: Onyx Leaf, excessive amount of Android devices
UPDATE: Actually, it's just really inconsistent and buggy on the Onyx. It does show up after some messing about, a restart or tinkering with how far you go into the book. It's still not as well performing as my other devices.

I think just contact the Devs.
bazookajoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
moonreader pro