Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 05-17-2022, 04:56 PM   #16
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1eduard View Post
So, you've to learn HTML5, SVG, and CSS to know EPUB?
A basic, slightly boring (visual stylistically) is really simple HTML/CSS.

CSS is just a way to centralize (in the book), styling rules, rather than use a style= every place.

Change the CSS entry for a class= usage and all uses follow.

SVG allows tighter image manipulation. It is not required (if you don't mind aspect distorted images on some devices) Sigil has a SVG plugin available, to do the heavy lifting

IMHO the harder part of EPUB creation is avoiding device (specific) limitations.
eg. my early device did not center a nn% HR. Want it centered... force that with the left margin ((100-HRwidth)/2)%
I made a 'sampler' of code ideas for a more fancy rendering of chapter titles. That was a great way to learn and use the Box Model'
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 03:51 AM   #17
1eduard
Connoisseur
1eduard began at the beginning.

Device: none
Ok, many thanks!
1eduard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 03:58 AM   #18
1eduard
Connoisseur

There are many different devices! So. what EPUB do you use? Is there a standard EPUB?
Old 05-18-2022, 04:09 AM   #19
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
Quote:
So, you've to learn HTML5, SVG, and CSS to know EPUB?
This is a site that I have found useful at times. I think it is mainly aimed at web designers, but a lot also applies to epub design too.

https://www.w3schools.com/
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 05:19 AM   #20
1eduard
Connoisseur

Which browser is the best to read EPUB files? (my browser says that it doesn't support them!)
Old 05-18-2022, 10:48 AM   #21
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Which browser is the best to read EPUB files? (my browser says that it doesn't support them!)
EPUB just shares some things with HTML.

There are VIEWER's for EPUB2 and EPUB3, that are device (OS) specific (the reason you TEST and compromise your code to fit your market.
Sigil and Calibre both have viewers. Both SUFFER from being over tolerant of errors (looks fine, but won't work on many devices).
Calibre viewer also has a command-line version. Sigil has a Preview as part of the editor.

The pros have a table top full of many REAL devices (emulators may permit stuff that does not work on devices) for their final tests.
Old 05-18-2022, 07:21 PM   #22
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't think any of the 'popular' browsers support viewing EPUB directly (Edge did, but MS dropped it), however they all have EPUB viewer add-ons.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 10:56 PM   #23
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Use Windows/Mac?

It's an actual EPUB-reader program...

but nothing beats testing on an actual, physical ereader. (A Kobo, Nook, [Kindle], etc.)

Why Test Using Actual Devices? The devices are a lot more strict + a lot less lenient compared to browsers.

While you're messing with different:
  • margins
  • fonts
  • font sizes
  • rotation
  • [...]

you may run across bugs/issues that ADE/browsers don't show.

(For example, some older ereaders would throw away all CSS if you had the tiniest error inside. Browsers may trick you into thinking everything is perfect, ignoring just that broken line.)

Use Android/iOS? If you only have a cellphone/tablet, then you can use a standards-compliant EPUB reader:
  • On Android
    • PocketBook Reader
    • Gitden Reader
      • This was one of my favorites, but sadly, the creator ran into health problems. Older version APKs are still floating around though.
  • On iOS
    • iBooks
      • Although this is closer to a browser (letting many things slide compared to actual ereaders).
  • Still want to use a browser? (Chrome/Firefox/Edge)
    • Thorium Reader
      • Again, while this follows much of the latest EPUB standards, it is very lenient compared to older ereaders.

Quote:
What do I need to know about HTML using Sigil?
KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid).

Really.

Just keep your HTML+CSS very simple, building yourself up step-by-step... and you can guarantee it'll work across devices + not break.

For your typical book, all you'll really need is basic HTML:
  • <h1> -> <h6> = Headings
    • Used for Part/Chapter Titles
  • <p> = Paragraphs
  • <blockquote> = Long quotes

then, for CSS, you'll need is a handful of simple CSS classes:
  • First paragraphs
    • With no indent.
  • Scenebreak
    • Centered Asterisks.
  • Occasional Canter/Right-aligned text
  • [...]

Example HTML:

Spoiler:
Code:
<h1>Chapter 1</h1>

<p class="first">This is an example first sentence.</p>

<p class="scenebreak">* * *</p>

<p class="first">And the beginning of a new scene.</p>

<p>Today, it was a dark and stormy night.</p>

Example CSS:

Spoiler:
Code:
h1, h2, h3, h4 {
	text-align: center;
	text-indent: 0;
}

p {
	margin-top: 0;
	margin-bottom: 0;
	line-height: 1.2em;
	text-align: justify;
	text-indent: 2em;
}

p.first {
	text-indent: 0;
}

p.scenebreak {
	text-align: center;
	margin-top: 1em;
	margin-bottom: 1em;
}

If you want more basic CSS/Styles info, please see my posts in:

And like others said, MR's EPUB Library is a good place to look. Open up ebooks and see how they work.

Side Note: If you want an example EPUB, see this 2021 book published by FEE (Foundation for Economic Education):

That HTML+CSS is pretty much what I've used across all 600+ ebooks I've worked on.

(I only do extremely minor tweaks here and there if needed.)

A lot of the other stuff is just thinking about all the different ways users may be reading your ebooks. For example:

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 05-18-2022 at 11:51 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 10:28 AM   #24
theducks
Well trained by Cats

my pet peeve: Lousy Alt= values
If you are going to use them, make them useful. (terse is OK)

eg.
alt='picture' . OF WHAT!
alt='chapter' . to terse... gimme a number to go with that graphical chapter title
alt='' . A waste of bytes. (was this just to keep some check program happy?)
Old 06-01-2022, 09:59 AM   #25
1eduard
Connoisseur

Ok, many thanks!

(sorry, I didn't have internet for 2 weeks!)
Old 06-01-2022, 10:06 AM   #26
1eduard
Connoisseur

I live in The Netherlands, so the book shall be in Dutch.

But om my computer my keyboard has to be set in English US?
Old 06-01-2022, 10:21 AM   #27
1eduard
Connoisseur

Is the best way to write my e-book on the computer and check it on smartfones/tablets (e.g. I've a Samsung smartfone/Android)?
Old 06-01-2022, 10:29 AM   #28
1eduard
Connoisseur

Quote:
I live in The Netherlands, so the book shall be in Dutch.

But om my computer my keyboard has to be set in English US?

(P.s. I use myself LINUX!)
Old 06-01-2022, 10:36 AM   #29
1eduard
Connoisseur

What do they mean with UPLOADER (library/EPUB books)?
Old 06-01-2022, 04:15 PM   #30
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Is the best way to write my e-book on the computer and check it on smartfones/tablets (e.g. I've a Samsung smartfone/Android)?
AFTER validating
Nothing beats the ACTUAL device.
Emulators only go so far (and sometime permit stuff the device barfs upon).
Real book wranglers have a tablefull of devices. Ask @hitch