Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-30-2009, 06:09 PM   #1
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Adobe Digital Editions and MAC

OK folks, I did mention this in another thread but it should really be elsewhere and not messing up other queries.

As you can tell from the title I have a MAC and am running OSX 10.6.2 After upgrading the Sony Software to 3.1 my ADE (1.7) doesn't see my reader (PRS505)

ADE is authorised and to the proper account.
The reader says it's authorised. (UK)
The Sony software (V3.1 MAC) seems to see it and allow transfers. Although it did take many attempts to get it to see it (now works all the time)
I can read my DRM'd books

If I run Windows under parallels, the Windows Version of ADE sees the reader.

So, does ADE for the MAC work? I know it used to before I upgraded the Sony software.

I have asked Adobe but am not getting anywhere yet so I thought I'd ask just to see if anyone else has trouble?

regards, Howard
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:54 PM   #2
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
ADE for the Mac doesn't support the Sony Readers.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2009, 07:59 PM   #3
huari
Enthusiast
huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle me, Sony Reader missus
tier 2 support with Macs

Hi,

I just resolved an issue with Adobe ID Authentication Failure with Sony tier 2 support. It took 40 mins on hold but it was worth the wait.

Basically Sony reset my Adobe ID so I could enter a different Adobe ID than what it was associated with before. I thought it was a Mac issue and was about to App Zap the Reader software and reinstall, but now it appears to me an issue between Adobe ID and Sony software; only bumped to tier 2 because initial intake is not familiar with Macs.

Maybe worth a try in your situation:
Quote:
877-263-2863. Our hours of phone support are: 9:00am - 11:00pm, EST; Monday - Friday and 11:00am - 6:00pm EST; Saturday and Sunday.
If it helps, here was my issue: Mac Leopard 10.5.8 running Reader desktop 3.1.00.12070. I do not have ADE installed and didn't need to reinstall Reader desktop.

You can see what your Sony account is associated with at About Reader Library, a dialog will open with a sentence: This computer is authorized with Adobe DRM... <Adobe ID email>

The issue arose when my account was set to my email address but my wife's Adobe ID since it is her Sony Touch. An endless loop occurred where any time I signed into my Sony Account, it would ask to reauthorize my computer. The fix was I created a new Adobe ID for myself and to be safe, matched it to my Sony Account then attempted to reauthorize with this new account. When the Reader software would not let me enter the new Adobe ID, that is where Sony needed to reset the email on their server end. I then was able to enter the new Adobe ID, see my computer reauthorized, redownload the old books and tested a library book and all worked well - thanks to Henry at tier 1 and George at tier 2. I was concerned that the old books we purchased would have been locked to the old Adobe ID. The main point is she is happy and Sony can be happy we can buy from their store. So hopefully they want to do everything they can to resolve our issues.

DRM is an inconvenient hassle and I thank O'Reilly, Manning and a few other publishers for buying their DRM free epubs, mobi, and pdfs which I read on my Kindle and iPod Touch.

Someday I hope the industry will find a solution for us who want to just have their content portable.

Best,
tony
huari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 04:27 AM   #4
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Thanks Jim,
that would explain it then

Thanks Tony, I'll have a look, but I didn't notice my email in the about screen.

One assumes then that if I buy aa DRM'd book now, I import it into the Sony Reader and it will decode it to pass it onto the reader and allow it to be seen by ADE in the MAC?
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:09 AM   #5
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
After you have used ADE on Windows or Sony EBL on either Windows or Mac to authorize the reader to your AdobeID, then you can just copy the file (.pdf or .epub, not .acsm) to your Reader.

However while this will work for purchased books, for books you get from a Library that are returnable, you will need to use Sony EBL to transfer the book. Note: articles you purchase from the British Library are not returnable and can just be copied.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2010, 06:53 PM   #6
huari
Enthusiast
huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle me, Sony Reader missus
Quote:
Originally Posted by pthwaite View Post
...but I didn't notice my email in the about screen.
Yes, I too noticed that the email is blank in the About screen when I entered a new Adobe ID. Previously the email was authenticated to my wife's but when I attempted to reauthorize with a new Adobe ID, I found that the About screen changed the email address to nil. That's when i went running to Sony

but when a user needs to find out if the computer is authorized to a particular Adobe ID, this is the place to check.

I hope it works out and please post if it does
huari is offline   Reply With Quote