Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-30-2022, 04:34 PM   #16
BatteryPowered
BatteryPowered began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Clara HD, Sage
I just used this to migrate all data from my old Glo to my Clara HD.
Worked a charm, many thanks.

For newcomers, SQLite Expert saves data to the database immediately so there's no need to save the database when you're done. You can close the software or choose "Close Database" when you're done editing.
BatteryPowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 02:52 PM   #17
willdoe
willdoe began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Hello, careful!
Doesn't work for all devices, for instance from an aura or to a nia, it does a critical error and you have to reset your kobo from the beginning (language, time etc.)
so don't do this
willdoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2022, 08:13 PM   #18
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by willdoe View Post
Hello, careful!
Doesn't work for all devices, for instance from an aura or to a nia, it does a critical error and you have to reset your kobo from the beginning (language, time etc.)
so don't do this
The likelihood of this failing in some way is high. Doing it when you are first setting up the device and needing to do a factory reset afterwards is not harmful. All it means is that you wasted a bit of time that could have been spent reading.

But, there is no real reason it wouldn't work when going from an Aura to a Nia. The most likely reason for a failure like this is that the firmware versions of the two devices was not the same, or fairly close. Otherwise, it was probably a mistake made in execution.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 08:10 AM   #19
volpo
Addict
volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E, Glo HD
I used this method to migrate a Glo HD to a Clara 2e.

The data was transferred and it even remembered the order the books were added to the device.

Just be careful to follow the directions exactly and I would recommend to do this on a newly aquired device so that any mistakes are easily rectified by starting over.

V
volpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 06:14 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by volpo View Post
I used this method to migrate a Glo HD to a Clara 2e.

The data was transferred and it even remembered the order the books were added to the device.

Just be careful to follow the directions exactly and I would recommend to do this on a newly aquired device so that any mistakes are easily rectified by starting over.

V
If you copy all the files over from the older Kobo to the new Kobo, do not copy the file driveinfo.calibre. That will cause your new Kobo to look like the older Kobo to Calibre.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2022, 07:11 PM   #21
volpo
Addict
volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you copy all the files over from the older Kobo to the new Kobo, do not copy the file driveinfo.calibre. That will cause your new Kobo to look like the older Kobo to Calibre.
At this point they are identical but great point.
Too late for me now.

The Glo HD will either be given away or reset so (hopefully no harm done).

NB: I just looked at the file and it shows the Clara 2e info.

Last edited by volpo; 09-24-2022 at 07:17 PM. Reason: updated info
Old 09-25-2022, 09:08 AM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
At this point they are identical but great point.
Too late for me now.

The Glo HD will either be given away or reset so (hopefully no harm done).

NB: I just looked at the file and it shows the Clara 2e info.
It's not too late. Just delete driveinfo.calibre and let Calibre correctly remake it.
Old 09-25-2022, 10:04 PM   #23
volpo
Addict

Quote:
It's not too late. Just delete driveinfo.calibre and let Calibre correctly remake it.
Thanks.
Old 10-09-2022, 06:30 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Thanks.
If you copy driveinfo.calibre from one Kobo to another, Calibre will read it and get the device info from there. So you want to delete it so it can be recreated with the correct device info.
Old 11-07-2022, 03:00 PM   #25
Raemchoi
Raemchoi began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Seems to work like a charm. only problem I face is that I can't open any kepub synced via Kobo now. "This document can't be opened right now." (From Libra 2 to Libra 2)
Raemchoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 06:13 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raemchoi View Post
Seems to work like a charm. only problem I face is that I can't open any kepub synced via Kobo now. "This document can't be opened right now." (From Libra 2 to Libra 2)
You won't be able to sync KePub on one Kobo and copy it to another. That will not work. You have to have both devices registered to the same account and sync with both devices.

One thing that will work is to download as ePub from Kobo and use the KoboTouch Extended driver to convert to KePub and side load on your devices.
Old 11-08-2022, 05:43 AM   #27
Raemchoi
Raemchoi began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
You won't be able to sync KePub on one Kobo and copy it to another. That will not work. You have to have both devices registered to the same account and sync with both devices.

One thing that will work is to download as ePub from Kobo and use the KoboTouch Extended driver to convert to KePub and side load on your devices.
I'm not sure if I'm following you. Since you don't need to copy/paste the /.kobo folder, I'm not copying the kepubs in /.kobo/kepubs, right? So they indeed get synced on both devices using the same account. But I don't seem to have access to them on the new device after the database transfer.
Raemchoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 02:35 AM   #28
seanos
Zealot
seanos began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Aura H2O, LG V20
Are there any consequences of copying the .adobe-digital-editions folder? device.xml contains a device serial number and fingerprint.

Could it cause any permissions issues if you give the old reader to someone else?

After following this procedure I could see progress and annotations, but I now can’t open any purchased book.

Last edited by seanos; 11-25-2022 at 02:25 AM.
seanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 02:25 AM   #29
seanos
Zealot
seanos began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Aura H2O, LG V20
If I ‘repair the account’ or allow the device to sync to fix the problem, I can read purchased books, but lose all reading progress and annotations.
seanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 12:29 AM   #30
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanos View Post
Are there any consequences of copying the .adobe-digital-editions folder? device.xml contains a device serial number and fingerprint.

Could it cause any permissions issues if you give the old reader to someone else?

After following this procedure I could see progress and annotations, but I now can’t open any purchased book.
The device.xml file is per device. The hidden activation.xml file is the one that contains your private information. I've copied my activation.xml file from Kobo to Kobo ereader over the years since it beat talking to Adobe when I run out of activations.

So delete the activation.xml file before giving away/selling your Kobo ereader but don't worry about the device.xml file.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote