Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-18-2019, 06:38 AM   #1
HappyChris
Enthusiast
HappyChris knows the square root of minus one.HappyChris knows the square root of minus one.HappyChris knows the square root of minus one.HappyChris knows the square root of minus one.HappyChris knows the square root of minus one.HappyChris knows the square root of minus one.HappyChris knows the square root of minus one.HappyChris knows the square root of minus one.HappyChris knows the square root of minus one.HappyChris knows the square root of minus one.HappyChris knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nexus 10 (2 of them), Nexus 5, iPhone, iPad, Kindle, iMac
Item counts, page counts and a search capability

When I look at the Library/Home screen of my PW3 running 5.11.1 1, I see some disquieting things: each collection has an item count and each one is seemingly wrong.

Collection 'Amazon' - which holds redundant PW manuals - counts 5 items and displays 6. When showing only those Downloaded, it displays 3 and says that there are '5 more items in the Cloud'. No Filter is operating.

Collection 'Dhamma' says 18 items in All but only shows 6. Downloaded shows 5 and says 3 more are in the Cloud. The item list, it says, has 3 pages but two of them are blank!

This pattern of misleading total numbers appears with nearly all Collections. I grasp that this could be a result of counting hidden files eg cover pics, but, if so, it looks like truly shoddy programming.

It's this an old issue that folk have given up on or maybe a too-rare bug that hasn't been noticed before?

I notice that the device's and the different apps' Cloud/All lists are not the same but books not shown on one reader can be accessed by using the Search function. Is this found to be a useful feature of the Kindle environment?

It's there any way of seeing my Kindle books listed clearly that is not subject to the smoothing-over that the Library display does to them? I see multiple copies of one or two books each with a different reading percentage but am fearful of just dumping all but one of them without knowing their origin and thus different version numbers.
HappyChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 01:04 PM   #2
HappyChris
Enthusiast
HappyChris knows the square root of minus one.HappyChris knows the square root of minus one.HappyChris knows the square root of minus one.HappyChris knows the square root of minus one.HappyChris knows the square root of minus one.HappyChris knows the square root of minus one.HappyChris knows the square root of minus one.HappyChris knows the square root of minus one.HappyChris knows the square root of minus one.HappyChris knows the square root of minus one.HappyChris knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nexus 10 (2 of them), Nexus 5, iPhone, iPad, Kindle, iMac
BUMP. (I hope that's not rude)
Should I have divided these into separate queries? Or are they all too boring/obvious/abstruse/difficult to be bothered with?
HappyChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2019, 01:16 PM   #3
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyChris View Post
Should I have divided these into separate queries? Or are they all too boring/obvious/abstruse/difficult to be bothered with?
Maybe. It could also be that no one knows.

My guess is that the collections database has inconsistencies and/or the firmware is manipulating ot or interpreting it incorrectly.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 02:17 PM   #4
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
What you describe is not normal.

Is the Kindle jailbroken?

Were all of the items on the device delivered there directly from Amazon or have you side-loaded or changed anything via USB?

Are they all purchased books or do you have any personal documents?

Are there any unindexed books? (See other threads for info on how to check.)

Have you tried a restart or reset of the device?

Last edited by jhowell; 05-21-2019 at 02:24 PM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
items, pages, searching