Notices

Old 12-14-2017, 07:56 AM   #1
arslonga
Connoisseur
arslonga began at the beginning.

Device: none
EPUB page counts

Good day.

I understand that, when reading EPUBs, a page is considered to be 1024 characters. I was wondering if there is a way to override this setting and make every screen be counted as a separate page. I know, I know ... when changing font sizes and devices this number of fictitious pages will also change, but it is good enough for my purposes. Thank you for your attention.
arslonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:09 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The kepub reader does that for the pages. Plus the the page count is done per chapter rather than for the whole book. And it has some nice extra stats displays.

You can sideload books as kepubs using calibre with the KoboTouchExtended driver or convert them first with the Kepub Output plugin. Or there is a standalone program to do it. I think it is called "kepubify". There is a thread here to discuss it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2017, 09:11 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
kepubify does not currently work with Windows.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 12:58 PM   #4
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Yes, I made kepubify, but as JSWolf said, it does not work on Windows ATM. There is an unknown issue repacking the zip, where the container.xml is not readable by the Kobo.

I may make a hosted version of the converter which has an API once I sort out some possible security issues with the book extraction.

The thing about the conversion issues is that they only appear some of the time with certain books. On Linux and macOS, it works fine though, and I use it (since July, when I released the first working version) without problems for my ~2000 book collection.

I would greatly appreciate help with this issue. I have figured out that the issue is occuring during the repacking of the Epub, as packing manually with 7-zip from the temp folder works fine. I may just use libarchive, or call 7z from kepubify.

Last edited by geek1011; 12-14-2017 at 01:00 PM.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 04:02 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by arslonga View Post
Good day.

I understand that, when reading EPUBs, a page is considered to be 1024 characters. I was wondering if there is a way to override this setting and make every screen be counted as a separate page. I know, I know ... when changing font sizes and devices this number of fictitious pages will also change, but it is good enough for my purposes. Thank you for your attention.
It's not just 1024 characters, it's 1024 compressed characters in each resource. This is buried in the code for the Adobe RMSDK and is not going to be easily modifiable.

You could convert your epubs to kepub as the ACCESS renderer does a page per screen by default making the page numbers pretty much useless.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2017, 04:43 PM   #6
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Talking Finally!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
kepubify does not currently work with Windows.
I just fixed the kepubify conversion issues in Windows!

It was due to the windows path separators not conforming to the zip spec .
Old 12-14-2017, 05:47 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
I just fixed the kepubify conversion issues in Windows!

It was due to the windows path separators not conforming to the zip spec .
Well done!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 06:11 PM   #8
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Well done!
Thanks! I think it'll take me a while to forget about how stupid this issue was (I can't believe it took me this long to realize).
Old 12-14-2017, 11:07 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Thanks! I think it'll take me a while to forget about how stupid this issue was (I can't believe it took me this long to realize).
Careful with those smacks! Even self-induced concussions are painful.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 08:15 AM   #10
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Careful with those smacks! Even self-induced concussions are painful.
Yes hahaha!
Old 12-19-2017, 09:51 PM   #11
Ksquared
Groupie
Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Original Kobo Aura 6", Libra H2O
Quote:

http://weknowmemes.com/2012/09/the-t...ming-problems/

Been there, done that!
Ksquared is offline   Reply With Quote