Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-05-2011, 10:34 PM   #1
Brihat
Brihat began at the beginning.

Device: Asus ea-800, Asus dr-900, Onyx M90
Asking for help.... how to avoid LCD screens and still manage to get work done

Hello everyone,

I have been reading your threads for a while and have just joined in.

My main question.... I am a teacher and my eyes can't handle the LCD displays because of the back lighting and maybe the low refresh rates...

I am looking for devices where I can read pdf and doc files, and input text, preferably by handwriting (ie move away from the keyboard!) and convert them to text. Basically I do a lot of cutting and pasting between pdf and doc files, nothing heavy, in fact black and white/greyscale screens are fine. I also write tests, etc, on MS Word, no heavy graphics, just line art/charts sometimes.

If I can do all these steps on e-ink devices or any non-backlit devices, even if I have to split the work between two devices, that would really save my eyes!

I have read about e-ink devices but so far haven't found one that can handle half-decent note taking and basic web content browsing...

I have read about the Asus ea-800, the non-backlit screen should be fine, but can I convert notes I handwrite on it into text by using MS OneNote on a PC, or in another way? I heard so far this is not possible...

And then there is the Asus dr-900, looks nice (I don't mind not having a pearl screen) but I haven't found any descriptions about how it handles handwriting recognition, its speed, and saving text files.

Any recommendations for devices, and steps to take, I would really appreciate! It would make a major difference for me!

Thanks,

Brihat
Brihat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:11 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
eInk is not a good fit for your requirements due to it's very slow update speed,
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2011, 03:33 AM   #3
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
Agreed, you definitely shouldn't use e-ink. E-ink is not suited to productivity applications.

This thread has comments by a user of the Asus eeenote. It may be helpful.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=123098
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:41 AM   #4
Brihat

Thanks!

Thanks for the input. Yes so e-ink devices I will use to just read files.

The ea800 post is really helpful. Unfortunately the device doesn't sync well externally.... so far, notes can't be exported in a format that allows OCR.... and no cutting and pasting....too bad, its screen is easy on the eyes!

If you know of any other devices which could fill this need please do let me know! I am going to look into the Pixel Qi screen, to see what reviews say in terms of eye strain...
Old 08-06-2011, 01:49 PM   #5
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast
sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura One (formerly: Asus Eee Note, enTourage eDGe EE, Nokia N810)
It seems like I've been following you around the boards Brihat!

Have you considered one of the pens that captures information, then is loaded onto the computer?

Someone in the Electronic Notepads thread suggested this: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...6377&CatId=140 and I think LiveScribe is another brand.

You'd still have to mange/edit/clean up your documents on the computer, but in theory, your writing could be converted to text and your writing can be done on paper, for less eye strain.

Except for the fact it won't convert handwriting to text (without the use of a computer), I find the Entourage Edge to be an excellent academic/pdf machine.
sarah11918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2011, 10:11 PM   #6
Brihat

Thanks Sarah, will definitely look into the digital pens.

Tags
asus dr-900, asus ea800, onyx boox m90, pixel qi