Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-18-2011, 08:33 AM   #1
Zatakawa
Enthusiast
Zatakawa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zatakawa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zatakawa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zatakawa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zatakawa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zatakawa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zatakawa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zatakawa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zatakawa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zatakawa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zatakawa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Germany: eBooks not yet a mass market product

Quote:
Nuremberg, March 18, 2011 – eBooks are already bestsellers in some countries. The major online retailer Amazon recently reported that it sold more eBooks than paperbacks in the USA last year. However, electronic books continue to be a niche product in Germany. According to calculations carried out by GfK Panel Services, eBooks only achieved a 0.5% share of overall book sales in Germany in 2010, registering a total sales volume of EUR 21 million. At present, only 35% of German publishers offer eBooks, although many intend to follow suit before long.
More at gfk.com
Zatakawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:43 AM   #2
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
The German Booksellers' Association has been trying very hard to keep down ebooks as much as possible. They are routinely priced at the same level as hardcover books, but released at a later date... they'd just wish for the whole thing to go away.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2011, 08:47 AM   #3
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
unfortunately, ebooks aren't going away anytime soon. i love that it provides me a wide selection of books without the extra physical delivery charge (whispernet still charges me $2 though). besides, it's kind of childish of them. it's better to just confront it head on and make laws that are beneficial for both sides.
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:33 AM   #4
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
unfortunately, ebooks aren't going away anytime soon.
We know that. They're only slowly and grudgingly beginning to acknowledge the fact.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:48 AM   #5
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Slightly surprising, I was in Germany (Munich) a few times last year and there were large iPad adverts on all of the station platforms, almost all showing it being used as an ereader, so I figured it must be a selling point there.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2011, 10:11 AM   #6
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I wonder if it only seems like Germans are not buying ebooks because they are downloading them from stores outside the country? I saw dozens reading in the Berlin airport. I saw them reading in every coffee shop. In fact, i would not hesitate to say that i saw more "in the wild" in Germany than i have seen here at home.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:24 AM   #7
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
If I can buy the same book for cheaper, at a site based out of the country, why wouldn't I? It isn't like you're buying low grade, bootleg copy.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:35 AM   #8
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Who offers a compelling platform (device plus store) for the Germans?

By the way, I'd assume that "compelling" includes ebooks that are actually in German.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:45 AM   #9
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
addition: ebooks are pricebound the same way as pbooks but do not profit from the lower VAT pbooks do. (AFAIR)
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:58 AM   #10
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Maybe we descendants of Gutenberg need a little more time to say goodbye to "real" books.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:50 PM   #11
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
or need a blind guy to anounce its "Time to say Goodbye" (again)
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:08 PM   #12
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Who offers a compelling platform (device plus store) for the Germans?

By the way, I'd assume that "compelling" includes ebooks that are actually in German.
A year ago that was supposed to be the txtr.

I have wondered whatever happened to them because I never see the txtr mentioned here.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:22 AM   #13
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
A year ago that was supposed to be the txtr.

I have wondered whatever happened to them because I never see the txtr mentioned here.
They're still around but apparently they haven't gotten much traction off their cloud-based business model and the iOS app got kinda blown out of the water by Bluefire. Their Android app is only available on Google's market (so much for tapping into the Android tablet explosion ) and not highly regarded either.
Last I heard (a few weeks back) they were retrenching.

I wouldn't hold my breath.

As for, a compelling german ebookstore, whoever is out there had better hurry. Both Kobo and Amazon are headed there; it's a toss-up who gets there first.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:04 AM   #14
Bald Eagle
Connoisseur
Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma
I bought my PRS-505 the first week it was officially sold here in Germany and got the PRS-650 last october but I have yet to buy a single e-book from a german bookstore. I get most of my books from Baen - so much easier to handle without DRM
Bald Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:13 AM   #15
CommonReader
Fanatic
CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, PRS-650, Vaio Tap 11, iPad Mini
There are shops like buecher.de with a reasonable selection of ebooks. Obviously they can only sell what the publishers are providing. Some publishers seem to be moving slowly into the right direction. Haruki Murakami's new novel 1Q84 (apparently not published in English yet) was a big seller in Germany last year and it was available as an ebook right from the start for a cheaper price than the HC (still a hefty 26.99 € instead of 32 € for the HC, though).
Ebook readers (mostly Sonys) are increasingly available at bookshops and consumer electronics shops.
The publishers really do have to decide on the strategy they want to pursue as there is a very substantial selection of German ebooks available in the darknet.
CommonReader is offline   Reply With Quote