Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-25-2011, 10:45 AM   #1
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
OMG, LOL, FYI added to Oxford English Dictionary Online

Yes, a bunch of initialisms have been added among the 1900 revisions.

Some other additions:

la-la land
couch potato
happy camper
rugalach
stonewash
headline

and my favorite ...

wassup

Added link:
http://www.oed.com/public/latest/latest-update/#new

Last edited by Fbone; 03-25-2011 at 10:50 AM.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:10 AM   #2
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
This bothers me, for some reason. It probably shouldn't. But, it does.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2011, 11:14 AM   #3
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Despite the fact that I use most of those words on a regular basis, it still somehow feels disquieting to know they are "official"

I wonder why "rugalach" is included, since it is actually a Yiddish word.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:18 AM   #4
Love.Forever.
Monarch Butterfly ...
Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S4, Nexus 7 32GB, Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post

Not going to lie... it bothers me too. It just doesn't seem like words that should be in a dictionary even though they are words that are used often.
Love.Forever. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:25 AM   #5
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
well, they should just distinguish it in the dictionary. i mean, with the word wassup, they could just include (and i think good dictionaries do do this) that it is a very casual phrase and shouldn't be used in formal papers. something like that
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2011, 08:35 PM   #6
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
The Oxford takes a highly inclusive approach to new vocabulary. One of things that makes it the best English dictionary.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:42 PM   #7
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
There really is no such thing as an "official language," although there is what would be considered standard language or usage. The dictionary just tries to define words in all the different ways that they are generally used; thus, language is democratic and not determined by dictionary makers. Nevertheless, I am still not sure that these words belong. Dictionary makers try to only add words that will have some staying power to the exclusion of slang or fad terms. But determining which words will have staying power and which will not can be really difficult, and it could be argued that text messaging and text speech will not go away any time soon.

Last edited by spellbanisher; 03-25-2011 at 08:47 PM.
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:50 PM   #8
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
These seem to me to be not words but initials (or in the case of "wassup", misspellings) of words long extant.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:11 PM   #9
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
These seem to me to be not words but initials (or in the case of "wassup", misspellings) of words long extant.
So, if I needed to know what an LED or CPU or RAM was, where would I go to look? To me, a dictionary seems like a fine place for these things. Why should only "words" be included? I think it should include anything that may need to be looked up and defined to understand the language.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:16 PM   #10
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
So, if I needed to know what an LED or CPU or RAM was, where would I go to look? To me, a dictionary seems like a fine place for these things. Why should only "words" be included? I think it should include anything that may need to be looked up and defined to understand the language.
Ther is always wikipedia and yahoo answers.
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:19 PM   #11
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
WAT!

bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:32 PM   #12
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
Yes, I suppose you're right. After all, I would expect scuba to be in a dictionary.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:23 AM   #13
Richey79
mrkrgnao
Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650, K3 Wireless, Galaxy S3, iPad 3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I disagree.

These 'words' are used in a particular context; the fact they are used says something about the cultural background of the author. A friend's parents still use 'LOL' meaning 'love you lots'. The texting generation has taken word-groupings from the past and stamped them with their own significance.

I think most (younger) people who use text-speak abbreviations no longer think of the full words the acronyms stand for. If someone writes that something made them 'LOL', I expect it to be something they read on 4Chan or an internet meme, not the 'Four Candles' sketch from The Two Ronnies.

I'd love to check if a phrase like 'for the lulz' is now in the OED, and whether the new definition of 'anonymous' has made it in. If not, the OED is somewhat behind the curve. Part of the glory of being in an age in which language is once again being developed and enriched by those who use it is that the custodians of linguistic records will be of such an age that many of these developments will pass them by.

Sure, it's only a small proportion of the population who currently know what these words and phrases mean, but it's usually technology or sub-cultures that drive linguistic change anyway.
Richey79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:56 AM   #14
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
This REALLY bothers me!

Since when are acronyms words?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:42 AM   #15
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richey79 View Post
I'd love to check if a phrase like 'for the lulz' is now in the OED, and whether the new definition of 'anonymous' has made it in. If not, the OED is somewhat behind the curve. Part of the glory of being in an age in which language is once again being developed and enriched by those who use it is that the custodians of linguistic records will be of such an age that many of these developments will pass them by.
There is a new definition for "anonymous?" Pray tell, what?

So now “wassup” is in there? Can “sup bro” be far behind? Seriously I do see a big difference between providing a source for the meaning of acronyms, be it LED or LOL, and treating something like “wassup” as a valid word. Slightly off topic, but when did appending a z to the end of words become so prevalent and why is it done since it seems to add no meaning? Examples:

“LOLZ”

“finally got some internetz at home”

“Hellz yeah brother”

Last edited by Hamlet53; 03-26-2011 at 10:07 AM.