Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 01-27-2011, 08:56 AM   #1
SEI Publications
SEI Publications began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Mobipocket Creator: Questions from a New User

Our organization is researching publishing its technical reports for eReaders. I'm testing publishing formats for the Kindle. I'm converting test files from Word to HTML, cleaning the HTML, and then using Mobipocket Creator to build the prc file on my PC. I then transfer the prc file to my Kindle 2 via USB and test it.

I have a few questions:

1 In converting to HTML, I usually have to tweak the html file a few times and then rebuild the prc. When I do that, it seems that I have to delete the html file from Mobipocket Creator and then re-add it. Is there a faster way to get Mobipocket Creator to realize that the base html file has changed?

2 Is there a way to create lists such as a List of Figures and a List of Tables and have them appear in the Go To menus?

3 I transfer the prc file between my PC and my Kindle using a USB cable. I have to plug/unplug the cable each time I do a transfer. As I convert some reports--particularly ones with mathematical formatting--I have to tweak the html file and then do a build/transfer. Because of this, I wind up having to plug/unplug a lot. Is there another way transfer the prc file without the USB cable or with it but without the plugging/unplugging? (I know that I can use the Kindle Previewer, but I'm not sure if that renders the file exactly as it would appear on the Kindle after the transfer. Does it?)

4 Is there a way to convert the prc file to formats for other types of eReaders? (Or could it be that prc files are compatible with other types of eReaders? If not, do I have to use a different process to convert the html file into formats for each of the other platforms?)

Thank you for any help/pointers.
SEI Publications is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:16 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I suggest that you use the (sadly command line, but a .bat file isn't hard) KindleGen program from Amazon, along with the Kindle Preview application.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000234621

You'll find it a lot quicker than going through Mobipocket Creator and transferring to the kindle each time. And it's easier to tweak things.

You can add a Table of Contents link, and a start of text link, and identify the cover. But other items aren't added to the Go To menu. You can, of course, have hyperlinks in the Table of Contents to a List of Figures and a List of Tables.

You can use Calibre to convert your Kindle file to other formats, or, with a little tweaking and some inconsistency in formatting, use the same source for an ePub.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2011, 11:00 AM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
1. Yes. Find out where MobiCreator puts the project folders. Open the html file in that folder and edit that file. Save your changes and then remake the ebook. So long as you don't try to save while making the ebook you won't have a problem.

2. Yes, but you'll need to make the list of links by hand. And if you want to have the lists under the goto menu, look into the "guide" area of mobicreator.

3. I usually use MobiDesktop or some other Mobi viewer on my PC. I only use the Kindle for the fine tuning at the end.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:31 PM   #4
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
The Kindle Previewer application provides an accurate representation of what a Kindle ebook will look like on a Kindle device, and also on the Kindle for iPad and iPhone applications.
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote