Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 01-07-2018, 09:59 AM   #91
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
You are kidding, right? Father Brown?
Well, I guess I was tired last night!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 12:45 PM   #92
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Understood. Though I confess, I'm not particularly in the mood for another old English mystery or, in this case, series of mystery short stories. But it's certainly within the scope of the theme.

I admit, I'm looking forward to the voting and to see what we settle on -- though the whole process has definitely got me thinking and has introduced several possibilities I hadn't considered.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 01:21 AM   #93
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
And let's face it, when you think "rainbow", "brown" isn't the first colour that springs to mind.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 04:56 AM   #94
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
I must admit I considered nominating a couple of books with either 'black' or 'white' in the title but didn't fancy having the argument about whether those are colours or not!
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 07:02 AM   #95
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
I must admit I considered nominating a couple of books with either 'black' or 'white' in the title but didn't fancy having the argument about whether those are colours or not!
This is freedom hall. If you think a book works with a topic, no matter how tangentially, go for it. Books will only be disallowed on a technicality, for example, breaking the six-month rule. No arguments allowed!

And, nominations are now closed and the poll will be up shortly.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 07:04 AM   #96
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I'm just hoping that when we come to the voting, people won't decide to vote for a book based on its price alone. Of course, price is an important factor for many of us, including me, but many of the more recent books should be available from libraries.

I'm certainly going to vote for the ones I really want to read, whether they are among the more or less expensive ones on the list.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 07:20 AM   #97
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
This is freedom hall. If you think a book works with a topic, no matter how tangentially, go for it. Books will only be disallowed on a technicality, for example, breaking the six-month rule. No arguments allowed!

And, nominations are now closed and the poll will be up shortly.
Is the "It has to have been released for at least one year" in effect?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 07:45 AM   #98
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Is the "It has to have been released for at least one year" in effect?
Yes, but within reason. If the book is really, really cheap, I'll look the other way.

Poll's up!
Old 01-08-2018, 07:49 AM   #99
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I notice in the first and second posts here, that the Father Brown listing has a mistake. It's not PCML ePub. It's just plain ePub.

There is no such thing as PCML ePub.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:50 AM   #100
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
I notice in the first and second posts here, that the Father Brown listing has a mistake. It's not PCML ePub. It's just plain ePub.

There is no such thing as PCML ePub.
Jon, I'll throw in a colon to make you happy.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:53 AM   #101
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Jon, I'll throw in a colon to make you happy.
I don't think you'd much care to give up your colon to the book club.

The word PCML is all that needs to go. ePub is what it is. Adding a colon won't make it any more correct.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:55 AM   #102
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:

The word PCML is all that needs to go. ePub is what it is. Adding a colon won't make it any more correct.
PCML tells people where it is.

And here I thought I'd make you happy! So much for good intentions.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:07 AM   #103
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
Quote:

Epub is also the name of the section in the Patricia Clark Memorial Library where the book can be found.

Maybe using the long name instead of the acronym would avoid confusion?
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:49 AM   #104
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
I have a question about Colours (Earth Incorporated #1)

As the first book in a series/trilogy, does it work as a standalone, or are there major cliffhangers that would require reading the rest of the series for resolution?
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 10:34 AM   #105
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
PCML tells people where it is.

And here I thought I'd make you happy! So much for good intentions.
Sorry, I took PCML to mean Program Call Markup Language. I didn't think of it as the library at MR. Please feel free to leave it in now that I know the correct meaning.