Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 08-05-2011, 11:48 AM   #1
Brihat
Brihat began at the beginning.

Device: Asus ea-800, Asus dr-900, Onyx M90
About the Asus ea-800 and dr-900

Hello everyone,

I have been reading your threads for a while and have just joined in.

My main question.... I am a teacher and my eyes can't handle the LCD displays because of the back lighting and maybe the low refresh rates...

I am looking for devices where I can read pdf and doc files, and input text, preferably by handwriting (ie move away from the keyboard!) and convert them to text. Basically I do a lot of cutting and pasting between pdf and doc files, nothing heavy, black and white/greyscale screens are fine. I also write tests, etc, on MS Word, no heavy graphics, just line art/charts sometimes.

If I can do all these steps on e-ink devices or any non-backlit devices, even if I have to split the work between two devices, that would really save my eyes!

I have read about e-ink devices but so far haven't found one that can handle half-decent note taking and basic web content browsing...

I have read about the Asus ea-800, the non-backlit screen should be fine, but can I convert notes I handwrite on it into text by using MS OneNote on a PC? I heard so far this is not possible...

And then there is the dr-900, looks nice (I don't mind not having a hi-res screen) but I haven't found any descriptions about how it handles handwriting recognition and saving text files.

Any recommendations for devices, and steps to take, I would really appreciate!

Thanks,

Brihat
Brihat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:30 PM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Brihat and welcome to MobileRead. If you don't get an answer here soon, try posting your question in our Which One Should I Buy section.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:27 PM   #3
Brihat
Brihat began at the beginning.

Device: Asus ea-800, Asus dr-900, Onyx M90
Thanks! I'm new and not sure where I am half the time here
Brihat
Brihat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 06:11 AM   #4
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

May I offer you a warm welcome to Mobileread Forums.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:15 AM   #5
Valmore Daniels
Grand Sorcerer
Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
welcome
Valmore Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asus dr-900, asus ea800, asus ep121, e-ink displays, onyx boox m90