Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-29-2019, 01:10 PM   #31
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I've just pulled the trigger and spent £60 on a PW3 from an ebay buyer who has a 30 day return. He also had 100% rating.

Fingers crossed that it's okay.

I've just received a personalised message from the seller thanking me for the purchase.

I'll be on edge till it arrives and I've used it. But at least I can send it back if I don't like it and the seller seems approachable.

Thanks for all the help.

Last edited by BookCat; 12-29-2019 at 01:14 PM.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 03:02 PM   #32
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I prefer it to the PW4 my son has. I bought my PW3 new just after the PW4 came out.

I hope the PW3 is OK and not blocked or worn battery, though the battery for it isn't expensive.

Though I preferred my Kobo H2O original to PW3, I upgraded to a Libra, which I like.
I use the PW3 as the target when buying from Amazon and selecting "Download to PC and transfer via USB" as I trust my backups more than Amazon's and then I read the purchase on my Libra.
I test ebooks I make on the PW3 and a Kindle Keyboard.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2019, 04:27 PM   #33
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Woot.com has a number of Paperwhites, the 2016 model which might be the PW3. I was looking at them this morning.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 04:28 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Just two "locked" ones I found.
That seller is selling stolen goods. I know the Kindles may not have been stolen, but to "find" them and then sell them on is akin to selling stolen goods.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 05:07 PM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Woot.com has a number of Paperwhites, the 2016 model which might be the PW3. I was looking at them this morning.
Woot is sold out of Kindles.
Advert
Old 12-29-2019, 06:05 PM   #36
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That seller is selling stolen goods. I know the Kindles may not have been stolen, but to "find" them and then sell them on is akin to selling stolen goods.
I didn't purchase from that seller. Though it is reassuring to purchasers to know that the seller of 'locked' kindles is at least declaring the fact. Is 'locked' the same as blacklisted? I'm assuming that it is.

Actually, I've just checked my ebay account, I DID buy from that seller, but not one of his locked kindles.
Oh dear!

But I think I'll let the order stand because he will accept returns, unlike most of the other sellers.

Last edited by BookCat; 12-29-2019 at 06:16 PM.
Old 12-29-2019, 09:36 PM   #37
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
I didn't purchase from that seller. Though it is reassuring to purchasers to know that the seller of 'locked' kindles is at least declaring the fact. Is 'locked' the same as blacklisted? I'm assuming that it is.

Actually, I've just checked my ebay account, I DID buy from that seller, but not one of his locked kindles.
Oh dear!

But I think I'll let the order stand because he will accept returns, unlike most of the other sellers.
It is not that bad. Not every blacklisted Kindle means it is stolen. Makes no difference to Amazon whether you report a Kindle lost or stolen, they will remove it from your account and blacklist it. Now it is permanently flagged on Amazon's server to be unable to register to any account.

In theory could they remove it from blacklisting? Probably, but they don't. Even if you end up finding your Kindle again, or it is returned to you, they will not unlock it. Nor will Amazon accept it to be returned to them. Wrote off as a simple loss, and you get a replacement or credit towards a new one.

Since Kindles are simple ebook readers, there is not much reason to target them for stealing and selling. Especially not since they can be easily blacklisted and lose even more resale value.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 05:52 AM   #38
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Yesterday morning 2 Paperwhites were available. Right now a brand new Voyage is available. 89.99. (Actually it says brand new refurbished, whatever that means) Link
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 06:50 AM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Yesterday morning 2 Paperwhites were available. Right now a brand new Voyage is available. 89.99. (Actually it says brand new refurbished, whatever that means) Link
But that's a Voyage and not a PW.
Old 12-30-2019, 12:44 PM   #40
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
But that's a Voyage and not a PW.
Ah...but it *is* a Kindle, so it appears that they are not sold out of Kindles.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 01:27 PM   #41
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4
Quote:
I have seem some buyers on ebay actually declaring that the Kindle they're selling is blacklisted.

IKR? Still, better to know that's it blacklisted up front so that you avoid those listings. It would be less fun to find out that "detail" after the Paper-weight arrived at your doorstep.
Junket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 01:57 PM   #42
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junket View Post
IKR? Still, better to know that's it blacklisted up front so that you avoid those listings. It would be less fun to find out that "detail" after the Paper-weight arrived at your doorstep.
You can still read sideloaded books with it. The only things you cannot do is registering to an account and create collections. If you want your privacy, not having the ability to link it to an account is a plus.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 02:07 PM   #43
BookCat
C L J

I'll let you know what it's like after it arrives. I don't have wifi, so I've arranged with a friend to 'borrow' his wifi to register the Paperwhite. I'll return it if it's blacklisted or has a severely scratched screen.
Old 12-30-2019, 02:18 PM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
You can still read sideloaded books with it. The only things you cannot do is registering to an account and create collections. If you want your privacy, not having the ability to link it to an account is a plus.
No syncing. No downloading from Amazon.

The only reason to buy a blacklisted Kindle is if you needed it for parts as long as none of the parts you needed cause a serial number change.
Old 12-30-2019, 02:52 PM   #45
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
The only reason to buy a blacklisted Kindle is if you needed it for parts as long as none of the parts you needed cause a serial number change.
As Duckie mentioned, works for DRM-free sideloaded content, too. Bonus, no ads as special offers is tied with registration.

There are a number of legal ways to acquire blacklisted devices (e.g. police auctions, etc).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new release, paperwhite