Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: How do you feel about the name "Kindle"?
I love it! 34 26.56%
I like it okay. 51 39.84%
meh. 22 17.19%
I don't like it. 11 8.59%
I loathe it! 10 7.81%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-11-2007, 05:45 AM   #16
Arek_W
Connoisseur
Arek_W began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, ASUS N636
well, the looks of it are not very exciting; name, as not-native-English speaker like the Knuddel better

Last edited by Arek_W; 09-11-2007 at 05:48 AM.
Arek_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 05:53 AM   #17
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
Kindle sounds like fire sounds like Fahrenheit 451 - and that sounds so much not like reading books
What else are you going to do with all those paper books once the e-book takes over, eh? Use them for kindling.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2007, 12:31 PM   #18
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I decided to add a poll on the matter, to get a quantified view -- hope you don't mind, JSWolf!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 12:43 PM   #19
frozenpeas43
frozenpeas43 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
If you've seen that picture of the Kindle then you'll know that the name is the least of the worries, aesthetically speaking.
frozenpeas43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 09:46 AM   #20
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
I think the name is a good idea, but not a good name...
It might "Kindle" the love for ebooks or something...I'm sure we'll see lots of slogans building on that name somehow...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2007, 09:54 AM   #21
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
In retrospec 'Kindle' feels like a codename. If I were an Amazon planner I'd change it out of spite for its unwanted premature unveiling.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:24 AM   #22
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
well, we all saw the "Kindle Edition" books on amazon.com
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:27 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I rather like the name. Has the implication of "firing" enthusiasm for eBooks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 12:00 PM   #24
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I don't really have an opinion about the name. I'm more interested in the fact that Amazon is promoting ebooks. "A rose by any other name..." and all that.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:50 AM   #25
Ditchleyportrait
Fanatic
Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
as recognizable as "ipod" now. probably more so.
Ditchleyportrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 02:49 AM   #26
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
It's a bit late to respond to a 4-year-old thread.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:50 AM   #27
grizedale
kindle Convert
grizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toys

Device: kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
It's a bit late to respond to a 4-year-old thread.
I disagree, I found it very interesting to see what folks once thought to the way it actually turned out...
grizedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:36 PM   #28
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I had no idea this thread was here, until now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I rather like the name. Has the implication of "firing" enthusiasm for eBooks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchleyportrait View Post
as recognizable as "ipod" now. probably more so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizedale View Post
I disagree, I found it very interesting to see what folks once thought to the way it actually turned out...

Very true on all counts!

I like the name - not love it, but like it. Its warm, friendly and cozy, like a good book. I can't see it being called anything else.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:03 PM   #29
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I like it.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:16 PM   #30
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It's better named than Kobo.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote