Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-04-2009, 06:05 PM   #1
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Anyone worried about reading on such a big screen? (Kindle DX) Iliad users?

I have to admit, I'm a bit concerned about reading novels on such an enormous screen as the DX.

For you Illiad users, what's the experience like? Pleasant enough to read for hours and hours?

Anyone else a bit worried?
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:12 PM   #2
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
I have to admit, I'm a bit concerned about reading novels on such an enormous screen as the DX.

For you Illiad users, what's the experience like? Pleasant enough to read for hours and hours?

If I recall correctly, a 10" screen is approximately 6.3" wide and 7.9" tall. In other words, still smaller than the fairly popular book size of 6"x9".

If you are really, really used to reading mass-market paperbacks, it might be jarring... those I think might be as small as around 4"x6" but most other North American books are 5"x8" or 6"x"9 which are not greatly smaller than the 10" screen size.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2009, 06:15 PM   #3
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Perhaps I'm just imagining it a bit too big.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:16 PM   #4
lisreed
Addict
lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.

Device: Nook GlowLight 3
Are you buying it for other reasons than reading novels? Do you plan to keep your kindle 2 as well? I understand if you are buying it for more technical reading but otherwise I would imagine its a bit akward for just leisure reading. Its 18 ounces and that is without a cover. That sounds heavy.
lisreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:17 PM   #5
Argel
Opinionated [but right]
Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS 505, Kindle International, HTC Desire
Quote:
On the contrary, I'm increasingly drawn to the concept.

Given the fact that here in the UK we're faced with an growing inability to buy editions due to geographic restrictions and the limited range of UK editions at absurd prices, a few minutes with a Stanley knife and a Scansnap scanner suffices to produce an entirely adequate PDF of the average book.

A larger screen, enabling me to see the output at full size or even slightly enlarged would complete the equation and free me finally from the artificial restrictions imposed by publishers.
Argel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2009, 06:18 PM   #6
Gideon
Wearer of Pants

I'll be using it for a lot of both. Main reason I'm upgrading is because I read lots of academic journals, pdf's lying around, etc. There's a SLIM chance I'll keep my K2, but I really need to sell it if I get the DX.

So we'll see. They have a 30 day return policy!
Old 06-04-2009, 06:24 PM   #7
lisreed
Addict
lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.

Device: Nook GlowLight 3
I see. Since you like academic journals that makes sense. I know I personally like to read with the kindle feeling as light as possible so I read it without a case for the most part. I have a sleeve case for it. So 18 ounces sounds heavy to me personally! Kindle 2 looked big to me before I got it. Now it looks a good size so probably the same for DX. In the pictures it looks huge but once you get it you can judge better.
lisreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:24 PM   #8
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
The way I see it, I've got 30 days to decide. If I don't like it, I'll exchange it for another K2.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:30 PM   #9
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Perhaps I'm just imagining it a bit too big.
I also did... but really it depends simply on the font size. Our eyes are not fond of overly long horizontal lines, so a 10" screen is probably not great if you prefer your fonts 9pt or 10pt; but with 11pt or 12pt font size it should be comparable to your average paper book page.

Or so the math in my head suggests.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:48 PM   #10
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
you could always increase the margins on your novels.

the 10 inch screen is about the size of the kindle 2, but if the entire thing is a screen.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:02 PM   #11
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
I have an iLiad BE and a K2, and find the iLiad's larger screen much more pleasant to read. For novels.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:00 PM   #12
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
When I first got my K2, my main complain was that the screen wasn't larger and no native PDF support. KDX solves both those issues.

That being said, though, I've come to love my K2 so much that I do worry about the portability of the KDX. Lately I've been mostly reading while on the treadmill, and I think the KDX might be too unwieldy for that. I'm also annoying they removed the buttons on the left side; this means I can't just switch hands every few minutes when the other one gets tired.

So I may wind up using the KDX only to read PDFs at home. We'll see.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 04:47 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I read on my DR1000 using the 3rd largest font size. With that setting, and all the toolbars, etc, enabled, the screen shows almost exactly the same amount of text as does a "standard" hardback book. I find it very comfortable to use.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 04:52 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
When I first got my K2, my main complain was that the screen wasn't larger and no native PDF support. KDX solves both those issues.

That being said, though, I've come to love my K2 so much that I do worry about the portability of the KDX. Lately I've been mostly reading while on the treadmill, and I think the KDX might be too unwieldy for that. I'm also annoying they removed the buttons on the left side; this means I can't just switch hands every few minutes when the other one gets tired.

So I may wind up using the KDX only to read PDFs at home. We'll see.
A large-screen device certainly isn't a replacement for a 6" reader when it comes to portability. Like your K2, I carry my CyBook with me everywhere I go. It's comfortable to hold one-handed, and I can use it pretty much anywhere.

My iRex DR1000 is completely different. It needs two hands to comfortably hold and use (standing up, I hold it "cradled" in one arm, and use the other hand to turn pages; sitting down, I hold it in two hands, one on each side, like a book, and use my thumbs to turn the pages). It's a much more "rewarding" reading experience than the CyBook, but it's definitely not a "take it with you everywhere" device.

I'm happy that I have both; it gives me the best of both worlds.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 05:29 AM   #15
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:

I think it's all about what you're used to. For me, a 6" device looks positively huge! I've been reading on a 3.4" device for years now...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote