Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-02-2008, 01:25 PM   #1
flybywire
flybywire began at the beginning.

Device: none
Buy A Kindle? HELP!

I have been looking at EBooks Readers for about a week. Over this time I have been reading and comparing the Kindle, Sony 505, Cybook gen3, Iliad Version 2 and would love your comments regarding my inevitable purchase.

I travel for a living (live in the USA) and would love one of these devices. The Iliad is expensive but that really won't deter a purchase and it can do anything, the Sony seems good, the Cybook reads so many formats but the Kindle seems to be a bit of everything? Could you guys give me some advice or direction concerning these devices? I would buy the Kindle today actually-would love it for my trip to the Orient this coming Sunday.
flybywire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 01:34 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybywire View Post
I would buy the Kindle today actually-would love it for my trip to the Orient this coming Sunday.
Buy the Kindle. It is the only one I know of where you get a 30 return policy if you don't like it. If it comes down to you not liking it you could consider the others.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2008, 01:39 PM   #3
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Buy the Kindle. It is the only one I know of where you get a 30 return policy if you don't like it. If it comes down to you not liking it you could consider the others.

BOb
However .... keep in mind the following:

1. You will need to have the books you want to read loaded up before you leave, or take your computer with you on your trip, because you will not be able to use the Whispernet connection in the Orient.

2. Any books you purchase from Amazon that are specifically for the Kindle will likely not be returnable, and will not be able to be read on any other device that you purchase (this is assuming that you do not like your Kindle ... I love mine, so I'm biased).

That said ... I'd buy the Kindle again in a heartbeat ... no question.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 01:49 PM   #4
rskolin
rskolin began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
The Amazon website has a ton of user reviews and a forum so you can learn more about the device. It's biggest advantage is that you can download instantly without being tethered to your computer. But, as Ricky said, if you're going overseas, you'll need to download your books here because Kindle operates off of a Sprint cell phone network.

Keep us posted on your decision, and have a safe trip.
rskolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 01:55 PM   #5
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rskolin View Post
But, as Ricky said, if you're going overseas, you'll need to download your books here because Kindle operates off of a Sprint cell phone network.
To be clear - you can quite easily buy a book using your computer, from anywhere in the world (since you live in the US and have a US credit card). You then use a USB cable to also easily transfer the book to the Kindle.

That said -- you can load up the Kindle (or any device) with more books than most people can read in a year.

I think the Kindle is the greatest thing since sliced bread.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2008, 02:02 PM   #6
HaggisMacJedi
Zealot
HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 4, iPhone 4
I love love love my Kindle.
HaggisMacJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 02:33 PM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The Kindle won't last through a multi-week trip on a single charge, and it might or might not trickle charge via USB (this definitely won't work if the Kindle is out of juice). So take the charger with you. See Help! Powered Down Kindle in Mexico. Also, turn off Whispernet before you go.

I have an iLiad and a Kindle, and I use the Kindle for trips because the larger size of the iLiad makes it harder to deal with. The iLiad does come with a travel charger kit, which is good because it will need recharging even on short trips.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 02:47 PM   #8
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by rskolin View Post
The Amazon website has a ton of user reviews and a forum so you can learn more about the device. It's biggest advantage is that you can download instantly without being tethered to your computer. But, as Ricky said, if you're going overseas, you'll need to download your books here because Kindle operates off of a Sprint cell phone network.

Keep us posted on your decision, and have a safe trip.
The only thing about the kindle forums on amazon is that if you havent bought anything from them you can only read the posts. There was alot of presales questions I had and could not post a single one of them.

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 03:17 PM   #9
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
However .... keep in mind the following:

1. You will need to have the books you want to read loaded up before you leave, or take your computer with you on your trip, because you will not be able to use the Whispernet connection in the Orient.

2. Any books you purchase from Amazon that are specifically for the Kindle will likely not be returnable, and will not be able to be read on any other device that you purchase (this is assuming that you do not like your Kindle ... I love mine, so I'm biased).

That said ... I'd buy the Kindle again in a heartbeat ... no question.
I said it before, and I'll say it again. If you are travelling with your computer, no problem getting books. If you aren't, then just don't be disappointed when the Whispernet doesn't work.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:19 PM   #10
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryleejr View Post
The only thing about the kindle forums on amazon is that if you havent bought anything from them you can only read the posts. There was alot of presales questions I had and could not post a single one of them.

JJ
Ah .... but as anyone who has discovered this forum knows ... you could simply post the same pre-sales question here, and I'd bet you that any or all of the Kindle owners here would be willing to post it at the Amazon site, that is if we couldn't already answer it from experience.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:20 PM   #11
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Actually, since the trip is "This Sunday" I suspect our questioner was just hypothesizing about taking an ereader on this particular trip. Still .......
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 03:21 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Actually, since the trip is "This Sunday" I suspect our questioner was just hypothesizing about taking an ereader on this particular trip. Still .......
He could of course order it today, with overnight shipping and have it on the 'morrow.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 03:23 PM   #13
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Nah .... it's doable. If he/she ordered today, they would have it by Friday ... even with the free two day shipping (depending on whether they deliver on a holiday). Plenty of time to stick a ton of books on it. Heck .... they could preorder the books and have them Whispered onto the book before it arrives ... mine came all loaded with all the books I had purchased at Amazon. It only took me a few minutes to load the 100 or so books I had downloaded from other sites once it arrived.

But .... if you are going to buy a Kindle .... get going on it. (Unless you have Saturday delivery where you are .... we don't out here in the sticks.) Yup .... if no holiday delivery and no Saturday delivery ... then you'll need to go with next day shipping.

Good lord .... waited a bit before thinking about this, didn't you??

Last edited by RickyMaveety; 07-02-2008 at 03:25 PM.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:37 PM   #14
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Post office is closed on the 4th, so that would slow things down. Better to go get one from a vending machine at the airport.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 03:43 PM   #15
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Order a Kindle within 2hrs 45min and get it Thursday (overnight shipping), 2-day shipping arrives Monday.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote