Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 10-10-2008, 01:30 AM   #46
Haidon
Haidon is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickon25 View Post
When I try this, inputting the shortened 8 digit PID, it tells me the correct PID is the 10 digit 'abc123...' - which is exactly what it rejected in the first place!
It then gives me 'invalid PID checksum' and does not convert.

I'm using v0.4 of MobideDRM and the PID is for a Windows PC running XP.

Does anyone have any other ideas, please?

Thanks
I originally had this problem also, but just input the first 8 digits of the PID (like the code suggests) and it works perfectly. But then, I would just use the new version with the correct modifications to run it perfectly. Nonetheless, try typing in the first 8 digits only. Failing that, put the PID in 'single quotation marks', both 8 and 10 digit versions.
Haidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 01:33 AM   #47
Haidon
Haidon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfergirl View Post
Dickon25

It sounds like you're having exactly the same problem that I did (and I almost went bald from tearing my hair out). My book was valid, both my PIDs were valid, the version of python was up-do-date, but nothing I did would get past the infuriating "invalid PID" error.

The solution (supplied from another thread) was to make sure that you have actually *opened up* the purchased book - the act of opening it for reading does something clever to the DRM. Trying to run the script against the downloaded but unopened book failed miserably, but when I ran it against the *opened* version it worked perfectly. The post-opened book was stored somewhere like "My e-books", so if you try this you might have some success.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you! Good luck.

Irene
I'm not aware that that is the case. I download my ebooks on a mac, which naturally doesn't have the software to open the files, but I can still strip the DRM on the same machine without them ever having been opened.
Haidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2008, 03:25 PM   #48
dickon25
Groupie
dickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505. Pocketbook Inkpad 840
I download my ebooks on a mac, which naturally doesn't have the software to open the files, but I can still strip the DRM on the same machine without them ever having been opened.

Books clearly behave differently! I've now got a non-DRM version, but it had to be opened and read first......which is what Surfergirl had to do as well. Ah well, there's something to look forward to next time (sigh....).

Thanks to all for the suggestions and practical help offered and given.
dickon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 11:54 AM   #49
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
On a Mac (and Linux), but not under Windows, this may be replaced by some other character before the python script even sees its arguments. There have been reports of success using single quotes around the PID
Brilliant! No wonder it would work on my Windows machine and not my Mac... but worked with my Kindle PID but not my PC PID.

I spent all this time putting python 2.6 on my Mac thinking it was a python version thing. I should have come here first. The forum saves me again!

I LOVE THIS PLACE!!!

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:37 AM   #50
NedScharpf
NedScharpf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I still cant get it to work - I opened the book, I put in the first 8 digits only, etc., etc. Ah! I am so frustated. You guys have been incredibly helpful though.

Any words of wisdom?

Ned
NedScharpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2008, 11:16 AM   #51
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
You have to enter the entire PID. You may be getting it confused with ereader2html which uses your credit card (last) 8 digits.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:48 AM   #52
NedScharpf

But when I enter the entire pid I get the old - When I try this, inputting the shortened 8 digit PID, it tells me the correct PID is the 10 digit 'abc123...' - which is exactly what it rejected in the first place!
Old 11-17-2008, 11:54 AM   #53
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedScharpf View Post
But when I enter the entire pid I get the old - When I try this, inputting the shortened 8 digit PID, it tells me the correct PID is the 10 digit 'abc123...' - which is exactly what it rejected in the first place!
If you get invalid pid checksum then the pid you are passing in is not valid. What OS are you using? Make sure if it is a Mac you are using single quotes not double quotes on the command line.

BOb
Old 11-17-2008, 12:30 PM   #54
NedScharpf

I get an error saying that the pid I am using does not match the file. I am sure this is related to Fictionwise changing the pid (they took out the * before the last 2 digits and I am unable to delete that pid or ad a new one). I am running WindowsXP.

Thanks for your help!!
Old 11-17-2008, 01:44 PM   #55
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I get an error saying that the pid I am using does not match the file. I am sure this is related to Fictionwise changing the pid (they took out the * before the last 2 digits and I am unable to delete that pid or ad a new one). I am running WindowsXP.
The PIDs with a "*" are Kindle PIDs, not Windows Desktop PIDs (these typically have a "$" as 8th character). Look under "devices" in Windows Desktop MobiPocket Reader, and it should include the PID for your Windows PC. Register this with FictionWise and redownload the ebooks. Confirm that you can open them with Windows Desktop MobiPocket Reader, then use mobidedrm with the newly registered PID.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:03 PM   #56
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

Thanks for your help!!
You will have to email them to remove the bad PID.

BOb
Old 12-29-2008, 07:58 PM   #57
mrgiedrnkr
Enthusiast
mrgiedrnkr began at the beginning.

UGH! I am pulling my hair out. I have v.05 of mobiderdrm.py. I keep getting invalid PID Checksum. I have tried single quotes, double quotes, the backslash. everything! The number I am entering is the number that is showing on my MobipocketReader for my PC and the number I registered at fictionwise. I want to convert the files to run on my sony prs505.

Any advice?
Stacy
mrgiedrnkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:46 PM   #58
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgiedrnkr View Post
UGH! I am pulling my hair out. I have v.05 of mobiderdrm.py. I keep getting invalid PID Checksum. I have tried single quotes, double quotes, the backslash. everything! The number I am entering is the number that is showing on my MobipocketReader for my PC and the number I registered at fictionwise.
This is often caused by a problem with the filenames - these are what typically need to be in quotes. On a Mac, a PID with a $ may need single quotes otherwise the naked PID is usually ok. Even v0.05 does not have good command line error reporting. You might try argecho from post #27.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:51 PM   #59
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgiedrnkr View Post
U

Any advice?
Stacy
Show us the exact command line you are passing to it. I'm guessing that you are missing a parameter or you are not putting quotes around file names that have spaces in them.

BOb
Old 02-18-2009, 06:35 PM   #60
Jean
Zealot
Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm tx / Kindle 1 / ebookwise 1150 / Kindle Fire / Kindle Paperwhite
I was trying to use the script shown in post #11:

def __init__(self, data_file, pid):
### BEGIN NEW CODE ###
# Calculate PID checksum if just the first 8 chars are specified
if len(pid) == 8:
pid = checksumPid(pid)
print "Full PID is %s" % pid
### END NEW CODE ###
if checksumPid(pid[0:-2]) != pid:
raise DrmException("invalid PID checksum")
pid = pid[0:-2]

but I keep getting the response:

IndentationError: unexpected indent

could someone please explain what the possible problem could be? Thanks.

Jean
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote