Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 12-19-2012, 10:25 AM   #31
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Rather than extra batteries, I would consider an external battery pack; only one item to carry, and when you change phone, you can continue to use it.
That is good advice since the external battery does work for other devices.

However you have to consider an extra battery will instantly have the device at full charge without having to tether the device to anything. For some that is all important.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:00 PM   #32
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
That is good advice since the external battery does work for other devices.

However you have to consider an extra battery will instantly have the device at full charge without having to tether the device to anything. For some that is all important.
Yes, that's true, but you can charge it while in your pocket or wherever you keep it, and disconnect the cable when you want to use it. I think the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2012, 01:31 PM   #33
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So T-Mobile just released an update this had the famous multi window view. This feature, for those not familiar with it, allows a user to have two apps in view simultaneously. Here I'm showing Moon and Polaris to show this feature is not limited to only Samsung apps. The bad part is that the app had to support this feature do not all apps work

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1355941635411.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	97936
Old 12-19-2012, 03:02 PM   #34
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So T-Mobile just released an update this had the famous multi window view. This feature, for those not familiar with it, allows a user to have two apps in view simultaneously. Here I'm showing Moon and Polaris to show this feature is not limited to only Samsung apps. The bad part is that the app had to support this feature do not all apps work

Attachment 97936
I hope this becomes a standard android feature. Maybe it has limited functionality on phones (unless you have a Note or similarly large phone), but certainly a nice feature to have on tablets.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:20 PM   #35
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Yes, that's true, but you can charge it while in your pocket or wherever you keep it, and disconnect the cable when you want to use it. I think the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.
What did Spock always do?

"cross circuit A with B and B with A"

That will do it.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2012, 09:52 AM   #36
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
I hope this becomes a standard android feature.
Not me this is a stop gap feature, but it's not good only good because Android is lacking with a similar feature.

I hope that Google does include multi windows in the future but with a better UI that will support more than two apps running and not require programmers to write special code to handle this feature.

On an aside The S3 will be getting this feature.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:48 AM   #37
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Not me this is a stop gap feature, but it's not good only good because Android is lacking with a similar feature.

I hope that Google does include multi windows in the future but with a better UI that will support more than two apps running and not require programmers to write special code to handle this feature.

On an aside The S3 will be getting this feature.
I agree, but for now, this feature is welcome. The next step for tablets on Android should be to allow multiple windows at the same time, like on a desktop. It makes no sense on a tablet to force all apps to be full screen.

Regarding the S3, yes, it probably will, but I won't be getting it; I switched to CM10 and later to CM10.1; nicer looking UI, and timely updates. The CM team is doing a great job.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:26 PM   #38
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
I has a chance to try out the Note 2 in the store and boy is it ever fantastic, much better than my original note. Two things that I noticed immediately - the UI and switching between pages, opening apps is buttery smooth and lightning fast. I hope that's because of jelly bean because I want my phone to be like that when it eventually gets the update. The other thing is that the Note 2's camera is far and away better than the original Note camera. There's no shutter lag and it does a much better job of auto focusing.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:54 PM   #39
sarafina
sarafina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sarafina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sarafina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sarafina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sarafina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sarafina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sarafina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sarafina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sarafina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sarafina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sarafina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Le Pan, Note 2
For Christmas Himself gave me a Galaxy s3 because I dissed the Note 2 as a frankenfone because of it's size.

Ok, s3 is a cool phone, my first smart phone and I played with it for a few days learning it and really liked it. But the rat had got for himself a Note 2 and he encouraged me to play with it. And that damned stylus? It RUINED me for the s3. For my usage the sketch option is just invaluable. I fell completely in lust.

It's alarming and a little revolting how fast I was making up reasons why the size wasn't SO bad. Like: It's so slim the size seems much more manageable than I expected. Or: It's not really much heavier than this (s3) one. And: the screen is so clear.

Honestly, it was embarrassing how fast I rolled over for the note 2...

But Himself, sneak that he is, had been sorta planning this the whole time. He figured if he just gave me the Note I would refuse it out of hand as a frankenfone, so he got me the s3 with an upgrade option. Back we went to make the trade. So now we have his and hers Note 2s. which is sorta revolting too now that I think about it. Too cute by far.

I have been using the native reader and been impressed both with scanned old book files and with new epub digital files. The pinch zoom makes reading easy. I will be looking around for a reader to use with Calibre.

OneNote migrates and syncs very well for me, and I am a heavy OneNote user. There is room for app improvement but over all fast and easy navigation thru the notebooks and pages.

The stylus lets me do very fine sketches and drawings (think floor plan dimensions and footprints, architectural details, plumbing and electrical runs) very easily and accurately. A scrolling piece of paper would rock but I haven't found a way to do that yet so I just add pages and keep drawing. When I get to the laptop I can dump them all on one screen and work from them.

The phone zooms easily and takes nice sharp pics. the auto focus is fast. The reload is super fast. I still haven't explored all the camera features.

The battery life has been fine for both of us, easily lasting all day thru heavy usage. Himself is on his all day long, email especially, for work and has juice to burn.

The sd slot is inside the cover which seemed a bit odd to me at first but it isn't a deal breaker.

I got used to the size even faster than I expected. It does fit in my bag or jacket pocket. Himself carries his in his shirt pocket. It is slim enough that you don't notice it particularly.

This has nothing to do with the Note in particular, but I hate how Google holds you hostage with needing a gmail account to do anything easily in android. I hear Samsung is launching its own opsys this fall, which will bring with it another set of problems, but offers relief from the Google machine.

Overall I find myself embarrassingly enamoured with my Note 2. I would even go so far as to warn others who might follow in my path that it's positively addictive...

Sara
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:55 AM   #40
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
My mother wanted a S3. She was 1000% sure about it. Until I pointed out the note... She is now a very happy woman with her Note...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:01 AM   #41
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
I got used to the size even faster than I expected. It does fit in my bag or jacket pocket. Himself carries his in his shirt pocket. It is slim enough that you don't notice it particularly.

Overall I find myself embarrassingly enamoured with my Note 2. I would even go so far as to warn others who might follow in my path that it's positively addictive...

Sara
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:52 AM   #42
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
I think the Note 2 is probably the best phone you can buy right now I also have issues with the size of it but the battery is mean't to be really amazing.

I'm hoping next time Samsung copies the stylus of the Asus Padfone, the stylus there basicly works like a bluetooth handset which would let you keep the phone out of sight and still answer calls.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:38 AM   #43
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
But Himself, sneak that he is, had been sorta planning this the whole time. He figured if he just gave me the Note I would refuse it out of hand as a frankenfone, so he got me the s3 with an upgrade option. Back we went to make the trade. So now we have his and hers Note 2s. which is sorta revolting too now that I think about it. Too cute by far.
No, having his and hers Note 2s is noble, practical, and cuts down on spousal thievery and the divorce rate.

Revoltingly cute would be getting cases like those below...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	il_fullxfull.378904740_j7qu.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	98968  
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:42 AM   #44
Daniel Jones
Nameless Being

I have used Galaxy Note (my brother owns one) and even that runs pretty smooth. There is no doubt that Note II is an awesome device, specially the split screen feature makes it unique in the crowd of Android phones.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:22 AM   #45
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
I am really tempted to get this what do you guys think is it real
http://www.firstsing.com/p/2573/fs31...tional-version
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote